🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Adding funds to an already set-up escrow
Page options
e321897c
Community Member

Adding funds to an already set-up escrow

At the beginning of the project, I agreed with the developer to pay him using the Upwork escrow service. Towards the end of the design, I added a milestone and included an additional budget to pay the developer. How do I add the extra amount to the original funds I placed in escrow?

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Ira B wrote:

At the beginning of the project, I agreed with the developer to pay him using the Upwork escrow service. Towards the end of the design, I added a milestone and included an additional budget to pay the developer. How do I add the extra amount to the original funds I placed in escrow?

You'd have to release the first milestone first.

You can't add funds until the previous milestone has been released.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ira, 

The next milestone can only be funded once the previous milestone has been paid/released to the freelancer. 

This help article has more information about adding/editing milestones. In the section "Funding Milestones," it says that - 

"...you may only fund one milestone at a time on a specific contract. Funds must be released on the current milestone before the next one can be activated and funded.

However, you can release a partial milestone payment and any remaining funds can be used to fund the next milestone..."

Let me know if you have other questions!

~ Avery
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Ira B wrote:

You'd have to release the first milestone first.

You can't add funds until the previous milestone has been released.

tta192
Community Member

If you really need to fund the new milestone before releasing the first one (e.g., the second milestone is essential for finishing the first one) you can create a separate project, add the milestone and fund it. Projects are independent from each other and nothing would stop you from having multiple projects open with the same person. This would also be a positive thing for the freelancer since he gets to receive multiple feedback ratings from you.

Andrei T wrote:

This would also be a positive thing for the freelancer since he gets to receive multiple feedback ratings from you.

... unless things go pear-shaped, and he ends up with two bad ratings instead of one. Smiley Happy

Latest Articles
Learning Paths