🐈
» Forums » Clients » Address Error Message when I go to Hire
Page options
58f1df19
Community Member

You cannot join this team until the client adds a complete address. Please wait until the client do

Hi

I get the error "You cannot join this team until the client adds a complete address. Please wait until the client does so." when trying to hire a freelancer. I already have my address on file and on file with my payment credit card.

What's happening?

How do I fix it?

Thanks,

Rob

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
david_at_monster
Community Member

For those looking for the solution off of Google:

Under Settings > My Info > Company Contacts Address is the part that the client needs to fill out.

In my case, the client had said they filled out their address, but they had filled out the tax form address.

View solution in original post

237 REPLIES 237

What I suggested didn't work? I had this happen to two clients and what I suggested is what worked. Like Phyllis said, they have to update their addres sin two places. My one client updated it in one place and came back to me, and it still didn't work, so he had to go back and do what I had posted earlier. It's indeed frustrating, because I had to bump my thread and keep it bumped to get an answer from CS.

Client needs to put his address in 2 places.

My info and Tax information section

Why on earth can't Upwork handle this the way every shipping merchant does?

Ask for address A (shipping/main).
Provide a checkbox for address B (billing/tax): same or different?

If different, provide.

Thank you everyone for your help. The client took a harder look at both places for his address information and that appears to have solved the problem.

Why Upwork doesn't require this information from a new client BEFORE they are allowed to post their first job will likely remain a mystery...

Will L wrote:

Why Upwork doesn't require this information from a new client BEFORE they are allowed to post their first job will likely remain a mystery...

Having identified an aspect of onboarding that can be vexing for clients, you think it makes sense to require it of them before they even find a FL they want to hire? I don't. In any case, now there are two threads about this you can bookmark (should be easy since you participated in both) for future reference.

Yes, Phyllis, I do not think it is not too much to ask that a client fully register before posting their first job. How long do you think that would take - an hour? 10 minutes?

I really don't think good clients are the delicate flowers you apparently think they are.

Oh, it's not clients who are the delicate flowers. 

It's not a mystery at all, since the negative impact barriers to entry have on clients choosing to post jobs on Upwork versus go somewhere with lower barriers has been discussed over and over and numerous high-paying clients have said that if they'd faced hoops to jump through before posting, they would just have moved on.

Disagreeing with a rationale is different from being in the dark about it.

Thank you again to everyone who tried to help with the situation, but the offer expires on Tuesday and the client still can't figure out what the problem is.

Hi Will,

I would be happy to help. One of our team members will reach out to you directly via a support ticket to assist you further. You can access your tickets on this page.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Hi, Nikola.

Thank you for your note. I know you guys are busy and have today been contacted by one of your colleagues. Another is supposed to contact the client to help resolve this.

Will

Day Six of not being able to accept new client's offer. But Upwork assures me they are on the case.

Problem solved itself. Offer expired.

Thank goodness for persistent clients.

Eight days after offer was sent to me and one day after offer expired client was able to get problem resolved by Support. Better late than never.

So, again I have a new client who runs into the same problem. This needs to be fixed - and it should be an easy fix.

I'll tell the client to make sure he has entered his address in both places where his address needs to be. As I have never filled out this particular online form I'll just have to hope he can sort it out himself.

aqsaqayyum60
Community Member

My client is facing the issue while hiring me
I have submitted and mentioned everything on my account but not getting where the issue lies
why me client cannot hire me and upwork is asking for address? what kind o address they require. where else my profile is complete

Hi Aqsa,

The problem is on your client's side. Your client will need to go to Settings > My Info and add their full address on their account.

Once this is done you should be able to join their team and start working. If your client needs further help, let me know here and our team will reach out to them directly. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
b685d5c2
Community Member

Good Day.

I am looking to hire a freelancer but when I click hire I get and error message "You cannot join this team until the client adds complete address" 

What team?

I added my address.

please assist

Hi there,

It looks like you were able to send an offer to a freelancer, could you please clarify if this error is showing on the freelancer's end? 

~Andrea
Upwork
3fe5b7a0
Community Member

The freelancer I tried hired received the same message when I tried to hire him. I am not the original poster but wondered if someone could help.

lovingbrother
Community Member

Hello 👋
I'm a freelancer and I am unable to accept client's offer, I keep getting this error while trying to accept a job offer from a client "You cannot join this team until the client adds a complete address. Please wait until the client does so."

I need help to know what to do, the client said he's already filled in his complete address

Hi Jonah, 

Thank you for patiently waiting as we looked into this. The Customer Support Team has reached out to the client to assist them with their account. They need to update their account on their end, and once they have resolved this issue, you should be able to accept the client's offer.

You can communicate with the client about this. I recommend that you don't start working on the project until you're able to accept the client's offer to ensure that you and the client are payment protected on Upwork. 

~ Avery
Upwork

Thank you for your response. Eventually I lost the client and the offer, as they client didn't seem to setup address as required by you guys.

I would suggest that Upwork make it mandatory for both freelancers and clients to carryout every needed verification including the address verification before applying to gigs or posting gigs. This will ensure no issue will be encountered during sending an offer or accepting an offer.

Thanks

wlyonsatl
Community Member

Over the past day or two I have a new client who's been having ongoing problems registering on Upwork.

They're almost there, but when I click on the green button to accept their offer I see the following  error message - 

"You cannot join this team until the client adds a complete address. Please wait until the client does so."

Why is this client even able to send me an offer if their account is not complete and in good standing???????

By the wau, this is the second time this has happened with a new client this week.

Hi Will,

I shared your report with our team and one of our agents will reach out to you directly via a support ticket as soon as possible to assist you further.

~ Nikola
Upwork

Thanks, Nikola.

Thanks again, Nikola.

Problem solved!

dipen_patel
Community Member

Since the last few contracts, I am getting the message while accepting the contracts 'You cannot join this team until the client adds a complete address. Please wait until the client does so.'

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

I have seen this message for the last 4 to 5 contracts. Any freelancer should not see this message because up work system should inform the client in the very first place while creating the new contract and sending it to the freelancer. Any freelancers should not be able to work until this gets resolved.

I would strongly recommend Upwork technical department enhance the feature in a way that makes the process simple and easy rather than complicated.

At present, when I see the error message in the evening I send that same to the client, and the client responds to the message by the morning. This delayed the process by at least 1-2 days due to different time zones.

Hi Dipen, 

Thank you for sharing your feedback! We appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I will share this with our team so we can further look into it and optimize both the client and freelancer's overall experience here on Upwork. 

~ AJ
Upwork

Hi, 

I sent a contract to someone I want to hire and she received the same message saying she cannot accept the contract until I add an address. What address and where do I enter it? I don't see any place on the contract to do so. A swift replly would be greatly appreciated. 

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your message. Please update your full address here and here before your freelancer can accept your offer.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, a client sent me the offer and I couldn't accept because "You cannot join this team until the client adds a complete address. Please wait until the client does so."  Could you please help fix this?  Thanks.

Hi Cindy,

Thank you for reaching out. There's no action needed on your end. The client has to add a complete address before you can proceed to accept the invite.

~ AJ
Upwork
8052c915
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team,

Isn't there a permanent solution to this, as we can't keep experincing and complaining about this. That will be helpful and appreciated. 

Thank you!

Client needs to update their full address in Contact info tab and in Tax info. They often complete only one address.

c13644bf
Community Member

Hi it is still not working for me. So we can't start our job

Hi Christina,

Thank you for your message. Could you please confirm the error message? 

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths