cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Affiliate Program

William Travis H Member Since: May 30, 2019
31 of 40

Upwork sucks. Why on earth would you promote/recommend this site?

Maybe that's a little strong. Upwork is fantastic if you are willing to work for $10 an hour, so maybe that is your target audience. 

Elance? Now there was a site worth promoting. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
32 of 40

William, if you decide to continue working on Upwork, despite the fact that that you think it sucks, then I wish you well.

However, it is possible that your perspective on how much Upwork does or does not suck may be limited, as you are a freelancer who has completed zero jobs and earned zero dollars on the site.

Is Upwork (as you claim) fantastic for people willing to work for $10 an hour?

I would agree with that.

But Upwork can also be a fantastic platform for freelancers willing to work for much less - as little as $3.00 an hour - or for much more. Many freelancers here work for $100 or more per hour.

There is certainly not only one "target audience" here. Upwork's marketplace is quite stratified.

Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
33 of 40

Angela wrote - and I agree with ...

"I actually think this thread is showing that upwork may be the smart one here. Clearly, there are a ton of people that want to recommend them and the fact that they are begging upwork to create an affiliate program tells me that there are no other competitors offering a program.

So all of these people creating blogs or courses are left with a choice.... provide a good service for their traffic and recommend them anyway, or leave them out because they are not getting paid.

It really comes down to are you trying to help your customers or your pockets? People who help customers first always come out ahead in the end.

If someone will only mention a company if they are paid to do so, how credible does that source look? I mention companies if they have an affiliate or not. I mention affiliates that pay 5% as much as those that pay 25%. Because if I present full and fair information, my customers are served better and I will earn a lot more of them and they will be more loyal."

And Preston explained it perfectly a few comments ago (severely paraphrased): "Why roil the waters and dilute the process?

Derek K Member Since: Aug 28, 2019
34 of 40

Wendy, I think most people are simply suggesting that an affiliate program would be beneficial because it would allow both the freelancers and UpWork to make more money. What's wrong with that? More customers on the site is a win win for everyone, is it not?

Sites like Youtube are littered with affiliate marketers pretending (lying) about their love for every product they review, just so they can make a quick buck. So I can certainly understand this downside to offering an affiliate program. However this doesn't put the referred company in bad light, it only makes the person doing the phony affiliate reviews look foolish and untrustworthy.

Personally I don't really see any legitimate reason to not offer an affiliate program, but am all ears if you can provide some examples. There's a reason Amazon continues with it's successful affiliate program.

I agree with you 100% that no one should be suggesting or recommending any service to their clients that they haven't used themselves and are a fan of. Though at the same time, a lot of time and money goes into the marketing efforts required to acquire the lead.

So yes, it is helpful being compensated a small amount for sending those potential clients somewhere else. Especially for freelancers like myself on a modest income and with many bills to pay. It's the same reason I pay a % to folks who send clients my way. Sometimes I get leads for projects out of my wheelhouse, but can recommend they use a freelancer on UpWork. A small referral commission would be nice, though affiliate program or not; I'm sending them to the service provider I feel best fits their needs. 

I appreciate your viewpoint, I just think you're missing the point. Anyway, just my two cents. 

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
35 of 40

Preston H wrote:

William, if you decide to continue working on Upwork, despite the fact that that you think it sucks, then I wish you well.

However, it is possible that your perspective on how much Upwork does or does not suck may be limited, as you are a freelancer who has completed zero jobs and earned zero dollars on the site.

Is Upwork (as you claim) fantastic for people willing to work for $10 an hour?

I would agree with that.

But Upwork can also be a fantastic platform for freelancers willing to work for much less - as little as $3.00 an hour - or for much more. Many freelancers here work for $100 or more per hour.

There is certainly not only one "target audience" here. Upwork's marketplace is quite stratified.

They're a head-scratcher, the people who think Upwork sucks, yet go ahead and set up a profile. What's the point if they think the site sucks?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
36 of 40

re: "What's the point if they think the site sucks?"

There's a difference between actually having experience with something and deciding it sucks, versus proclaiming it sucks because other people said so.

Here's the thing: If you look up stuff on the Internet, then EVERYTHING sucks. According to the Internet:

Upwork sucks. Upwork's competitors all suck. All the big companies suck. All the major products suck. All the politicians, actors, writers, artists, police, firefighters, doctors and Kindergarten teachers suck. Shakespeare definitely sucks. Ice cream sucks. Kittens suck. Happiness sucks.

Community Guru
37 of 40

Preston H wrote:

re: "What's the point if they think the site sucks?"

There's a difference between actually having experience with something and deciding it sucks, versus proclaiming it sucks because other people said so.

Here's the thing: If you look up stuff on the Internet, then EVERYTHING sucks. According to the Internet:

Upwork sucks. Upwork's competitors all suck. All the big companies suck. All the major products suck. All the politicians, actors, writers, artists, police, firefighters, doctors and Kindergarten teachers suck. Shakespeare definitely sucks. Ice cream sucks. Kittens suck. Happiness sucks.

True ... everything does suck according to the interwebs. But I'd leave off kittens and ice cream from that list. Smiley Tongue

Community Guru
38 of 40

kitty.jpg

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
39 of 40

Virginia F wrote:

They're a head-scratcher, the people who think Upwork sucks, yet go ahead and set up a profile. What's the point if they think the site sucks?

I think people who talk nonstop about how much Upwork sucks but stay have no success anywhere. When a person has no success, that leaves two basic choices: accept responsibility and figure out what he/she can do better, or find something/someone else to blame. Blaming Upwork liberates a failed freelancer from putting in the work to become a success.

Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
40 of 40

William Travis H wrote:

Upwork sucks. Why on earth would you promote/recommend this site?

Maybe that's a little strong. Upwork is fantastic if you are willing to work for $10 an hour, so maybe that is your target audience. 

Elance? Now there was a site worth promoting. 

If you're willing to work for $10/hour, then there are probably tens of thousands of freelancers virtually identical to you competing for jobs and you'll likely do very poorly here. On the other hand, everyone I know who charges in the $100/hour range is doing quite well here.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS