Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After 1 month of work, freelancer needs more money

95f372b4
Yassine T Member Since: Mar 24, 2016
1 of 10

Greetings everybody,

I hired a freelancer for an Ios app 1 month ago. I sent him the specifications file with everything in order to be sure he would be able to estimate both time and price he needs.
We agree for 1400$. He worked 70 hours on it.

10 days ago, he started to tell me that his uncle is sick and was not able to finish the work. He is now asking more money because 1400$ is low for the specifications and won't continue the work if I don't accept. He argues by saying that there is a "developing risk".

First, We both agree on the budget after he received all the specifications so I can't understand one month after he is asking more money.
Secondly, Can he stop working like that without providing me any final version or a beta version? I didn't receive anything yet except screenshots. We agreed about a beta version but I'm not able to test on my device and he is not able to find why it's not working.

I paid him hourly, he already receive the 1400$. It so weird that kind of peple who are not able to evaluate the time and money they need. I din't modify anything on the specifications! What would you consider to do?

Regards,

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
2 of 10

You're in a predicament but if he's worked for a month and he used the time tracker, it's probably too late to dispute much of it. Upwork has a 5 day review period each week for reviewing the previous week's work and that's when you're expected to dispute the hours if you believe the freelancer is not making progress. Do not approve any more hours until you receive code or something that works. If you receive code, hire another developer you can trust to review it.

Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
3 of 10

You should contact support ASAP to salvage what you can.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 10

Hi Yassine,

I'm sorry to hear about the problem you're having on this contract. Please contact Customer Support so our team can assist you with the contract and reach out to the freelancer.

Untitled
95f372b4
5 of 10

I did it 1 week ago but I still did not receive anything back from Upwork Support.

ramzan33
Community Leader
Md.Ramzanul H Member Since: Dec 21, 2013
6 of 10

Hello,

Really sorry to hear about the issue please contac with customer support i hope they will give a better solution for you .

Thanks !

Ramzanul
95f372b4
7 of 10

Thanks everybody for your responses.
I ask the freelance to send me code. He refused. 

I reported everything to Upwork. We'll see. 

russtice
Community Leader
Russell T Member Since: Jul 25, 2015
8 of 10

Yeah that's just shaddy. If he/she can't continue with the work, thats fine. They should transfer all the preliminary files since you have already paid him/her for the work that has transpired thus far. Otherwise they should offer you a refund since you are receiving nothing. Yup, I would despute that for sure.

jsutherland
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
9 of 10
When one hires inexperienced (on this platform) freelancers and then pays peanuts in their job posting, things like this happen. I'm not saying it's right, but if you had paid the going rate and hired someone with experience working here you would have been better off.
95f372b4
10 of 10

When the Freelancer highlights his experience on his profile and have 4/5 great experiences, I'm not sure that you can anticipate it.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS