1 of 25

Do you mind adding candidate age

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

and also filter by age...

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 25

How would this be of benefit to buyers? It's very rare you need somebody of a specific age to complete a project, unless it's writing an article on being a certain age or something like that. Seems more trouble than it's worth. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
3 of 25

The only time you might question age, is if you believe a provider is under eighteen which is against Upwork's ToS. Otherwise, if the person you hire can deliver the job, what difference does age make?

Edited to add: I imagine if anyone really wants to put their age, they can simply add it to their overview.

donald-price
Donald J. P Member Since: Dec 1, 2017
4 of 25

Maybe I am missing something. As someone new to Upwork, and being of a certain age (59) I am wondering why Upwork requires me to add my Graduation Date from College? Cant this be used to discriminate against me if someone chooses?  Its really rough out there in the creative fields if you are over 40 lets say, and looking for work full time or contract work. There is a lot of ageism out there. Most advice online suggest to older job seekers (over 40) to not include anything that gives away their age on their CV or resume. What is the justification for Upworks policy about requring age in my profile? 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 25

@Donald J. P wrote:

Maybe I am missing something. As someone new to Upwork, and being of a certain age (59) I am wondering why Upwork requires me to add my Graduation Date from College? Cant this be used to discriminate against me if someone chooses?  Its really rough out there in the creative fields if you are over 40 lets say, and looking for work full time or contract work. There is a lot of ageism out there. Most advice online suggest to older job seekers (over 40) to not include anything that gives away their age on their CV or resume. What is the justification for Upworks policy about requring age in my profile? 

Donald, as a client I have never looked at this (although I'm in a different field to you). From the other perspective, I just graduated from university last month but that doesn't mean I'm 21...

donald-price
Donald J. P Member Since: Dec 1, 2017
6 of 25

True, but consider...    If you were a freelancer on Upwork, by looking at your profile I would know that you just graduated. Maybe you are a highly experienced professional who after many years of working in the trenches just recently finished your degree. Don't you think that, I could use that information to remove your proposal from consideration, not believing in your vast experience, ony your graduation date?

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
7 of 25

That's true, sure. But like I said, from a client's perspective I don't think it is really taken in to consideration that much. And in any case, a client who would reject you solely for that reason is probably not one you'd want to work with anyway.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 25

@Donald J. P wrote:

I'm always a little perplexed by the concerns about information being "used to discriminate." If someone doesn't want to work with a woman or an old lady or whatever, I'd just as soon they filtered themselves out before I start interacting with them...and I sure as heck don't want to stumble into a contract with one before learning about biases that are sure to impact their satisfaction and professionalism.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
9 of 25

@Shay R wrote:

Do you mind adding candidate age

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

and also filter by age...

WHY?

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 25

Shay,

Most new threads that we see in the Community Forum are retreads of discussions that have already taken place and have been talked about over and over again.

To your credit, this seems like I genuinely novel topic. I can't recall anybody asking for age to be added as a search filter field.

Upwork will not be implementing this feature.

But for the sake of discussion, it would be interesting to hear why this would be useful to you. I think you already understand that regular Forum participants wonder why somebody would this information. But we can respectfully listen to your perspective.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS