Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agency Applicants

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
1 of 31

I'm a bit confused about how agency applications work exactly. I was under the impression that the agency had to put forward the freelancer they wanted to propose for the job. But every time I get an agency applying to one of my translation jobs (which are always marked with the "I want to work with my freelancer directly" preference anyway but that's a different story...), it's always the agency owner saying "I have a translator who can do this job".

Also, looking at this particular agency owner's job history, they have several jobs (including hourly jobs) that they clearly must have been giving to their agency members because they're for languages this person doesn't claim to speak (and fairly difficult languages). Is the history the applicant's history or the agency's history?

I have a job posted right now and one of the applicants is one of these types, if one of the mods wants to take a look.

(This is one of the many reasons I prefer to work with freelancers directly - the agency model is difficult to understand and not transparent, at least what I've seen of it).

Mr. H Member Since: Sep 10, 2015
2 of 31

Its very easy to understand. For example your family member is 4  and each one know one kind of task like developer, data entry operator etc. Assume you have taken a project as a team leader and give the job to your son and Your son will do this job. This is what the agency is. Agency is company... so you are working with company and one of the company member will assist your project. Does it make sense?

Community Guru
3 of 31

No, that doesn't really help, because I thought that your son would have to have his own profile and so would your daughter and your wife and then the agency owner would say "yes, we can do that job for you. My son will do the development and my daughter will do the design and my wife will do the QA, here are their profiles you can hire them for each task." Not "hire me and my family will do the job and log the hours on my account."

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
4 of 31

Hi Jennifer,

Agency owner or staffing manager can apply to jobs on behalf of their agency freelancers. They also can participate in the interview before the contract is set and even communication after the contract is set. The freelancer who's doing the job has to be hired for the contract but payments will be going to the agency account.

The job will show on both the freelancer's individual profile and the agency profile.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
5 of 31

Thanks Valeria, that helps a lot. So in my list of applicants, the profile that I see should be the freelancer who is actually going to be doing the work under the umbrella of the agency? NOT the agency owner, correct? And if I see jobs on the agency owner's individual profile, they are jobs that individual has in theory completed themselves?

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
6 of 31

Yes, that's correct, Jennifer.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
7 of 31

Thanks Valeria. I've submitted a ticket reporting this person and sent you a PM.

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
8 of 31

Jennifer, I have a very good idea who you are talking about... 

Fact is, one of these agencies (farmers) has been reported so, so many times, their profiles suspended, the agency profile suspended etc. I communicated with CS on almost a daily basis for weeks. The profiles disappeared, the agency profile was stripped of all the farming jobs.

And the end result?

A month later everything is back to the way it was before. The old profiles are back. The JSS is back. The outrageous claims are back. This is a translation agency that offers more than 50 language pairs and has only 2 (TWO) members. The have a company and farm out all the work. Upwork knows and allows this.

Contrary to what Valeria replied, these 2 guys don't do the work themselves. Never. You don't hire the person who will perform the task. But according to Upwork, this is a form of "subcontracting" that's OK. I don't understand why they don't amend the ToS to clearly state that they approve of this business model.

I am so fed up with this.

This widget could not be displayed.
9 of 31
This widget could not be displayed.

@Ela K wrote:

Jennifer, I have a very good idea who you are talking about... 

Fact is, one of these agencies (farmers) has been reported so, so many times, their profiles suspended, the agency profile suspended etc. I communicated with CS on almost a daily basis for weeks. The profiles disappeared, the agency profile was stripped of all the farming jobs.

And the end result?

A month later everything is back to the way it was before. The old profiles are back. The JSS is back. The outrageous claims are back. This is a translation agency that offers more than 50 language pairs and has only 2 (TWO) members. The have a company and farm out all the work. Upwork knows and allows this.

Contrary to what Valeria replied, these 2 guys don't do the work themselves. Never. You don't hire the person who will perform the task. But according to Upwork, this is a form of "subcontracting" that's OK. I don't understand why they don't amend the ToS to clearly state that they approve of this business model.

I am so fed up with this.

Repetitive moderator statements and what really happens and is tolerated on Upwork are two different things. The example above is outstanding but there are also numerous agencies like this, especially but not only translation agencies. Many of us are invited daily to their micro-payment jobs. No wonder that so many clients and freelancers break the rules on Upwork when they see that others earn much by doing this and are more than tolerated on the platform for years. I wonder if Upwork wants to earn money one day or if they will continue supporting business models like this. Woman Frustrated

Community Guru
10 of 31
I just want to add/clarify that the job posting was for an hourly, ongoing job. So there should *definitely* be no subcontracting allowed there.
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS