🐈 Community

Agency Contractors: Job Parameters & Honesty

Complaint One: I specifically mark Freelancers Only and oDesk still allows Agencies to apply to my job postings. If I wanted Agencies to apply to my jobs, I wouldn't take the time to check off Freelancers Only. If the job posting qualification parameters don't action the restrictions, they're worthless. I'm still having to sift through dozens of inappropriate applications. Complaint Two: The "Recommended Freelancers" oDesk provides doesn't register the qualification parameters set in the job posting, so the feature is essentially useless. Complaint Three: These Agency Contractors I'm having to suffer with are having identical proposals submitted for the same job. When brought to oDesk's attention, their excuse is that they're under the same Agency. Carbon copy proposals should not be permitted in any case. It's just more junk cluttering my inbox when I'm looking for solid candidates. Complaint Four: Agency Contractors are willing to lie about their affiliation with an Agency to get a job. Case in point, the below screenshot shows a contractor I contacted and didn't note the tiny "Agency Contractor" label with his proposal. When questioned, he said he applied as an Independent Freelancer and that just shows up regardless...But during the conversation a 3rd party replied to one of my messages! Then he lied and said it was him logged in as a different account (something I would think oDesk wouldn't allow either)! http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s394/Stephanie_Kunder/dishonest-much_zps0c7b57fc.jpg If oDesk is serious about getting good recruiters here, they need to fix these problems and take out the trash. It is exceedingly frustration from a recruiters perspective to have to sift through garbage proposals and freelancers who don't fit the specified qualifications. I can sympathize with the freelancers as well...Finding good recruiters and jobs is tough. But oDesk isn't making it any easier for you when recruiters have to deal with this bs.
5 REPLIES 5
katrinabeaver

It's the same if you put a specific region, anyone is allowed to apply. "Complaint Two: The "Recommended Freelancers" oDesk provides doesn't register the qualification parameters set in the job posting, so the feature is essentially useless" This probably has to do with the algorithm. "Complaint Three: These Agency Contractors I'm having to suffer with are having identical proposals submitted for the same job. When brought to oDesk's attention, their excuse is that they're under the same Agency. Carbon copy proposals should not be permitted in any case. It's just more junk cluttering my inbox when I'm looking for solid candidates." I believe copy/paste cover letters should be against TOS. It's easy to detect them as you probably have already discovered. But much the same as point one, anyone is allowed to apply. I am not a client, but I know it must be really time consuming to go through all the copy/paste apps and agency "repetitious" apps. I know clients are busy, and don't have the time to go through all the flim flam, and that's why they come here. Be diligent and do Skype interviews and ask questions, and I am sure you will find the contractor you are looking for. There are many great, skilled contractors here. You just have to find them.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"

[quote=Katrina Beaver]It's the same if you put a specific region, anyone is allowed to apply.[/quote] Yes, I'm aware of that. My point is they shouldn't be allowed. If I set specific qualifications, only those that meet those qualifications should be allowed to apply. Anything else is a waste of a recruiters time. [quote=Katrina Beaver]This probably has to do with the algorithm.[/quote] That would be correct. It needs fixed. [quote=Katrina Beaver]I am not a client, but I know it must be really time consuming to go through all the copy/paste apps and agency "repetitious" apps. I know clients are busy, and don't have the time to go through all the flim flam, and that's why they come here. Be diligent and do Skype interviews and ask questions, and I am sure you will find the contractor you are looking for. There are many great, skilled contractors here. You just have to find them.[/quote] Trust me, it's terrible. I've had two jobs posted in the last two weeks, have received 73 applicants, and none are qualified for the projects. Every last one of them didn't meet my minimum qualifications and couldn't write a single sentence that made sense to save their life. If the system was setup right, I shouldn't have had to take the time to review all of those applicants just to toss them aside and start over with a new job posting. This is what I mean by oDesk alienating recruiters. We shouldn't have to go through 70+ garbage applicants when we have predefined qualifications set to keep out the trash. I come here because it's supposed to be easier to find quality freelancers, but I'm better off going to the local Art Institute's career center and interviewing recent graduates! If you want good recruiters here, good jobs, both freelancers and recruiters need to push the issue. Good freelancers are frustrated by low wages and dead beat recruiters...But good recruiters are just as frustrated with a system that allows crappy freelancers to flourish.

You are right, I totally agree with you. Outsourcing work should be a simple process. I truly agree that if you set parameters, all parameters should be met to apply, but in Odesk's defense I'm sure it has something to do with liability of discrimination, such as only certain people can apply. I know it is a law in the US, now I don't know about there being a law in the rest of the world (marketplace). I understand your frustration, I really do. I don't know all the laws regarding this, but I'm sure it has a liability factor.
"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Stephanie, I appreciate hearing about your situation and apologize for the less than ideal experience. Thank you very much for your feedback and suggestions. I will report this to our team for future improvement.
~ Valeria
Upwork
visualsi

Hi,

We get this all the time as well.  

What seems to work for me is, when I see an agency submittal, I reject the resume as "Clearly not qualified".  To me, the submittal is clearly not qualified because it was submitted by an agency.  It looks like the duplicates of the agency contractors automatically get deleted, so that is slightly helpful.

It is very clear that these agencies do not read the job descriptions at all.  They do not read the questions.  They just look at the keywords and if there is a match, they submit whatever matches, no matter how ridiculous. They seem to have standard boilerplate responses to whatever questions are asked and they paste them in.

For example, we have very strict requirements from our customers that the work be done in the US by US citizens (HIPPA, FERPA, etc...).  We clearly specify that in the job description.  I post the job - we immediately get over 50 proposals from India, Pakistan, etc. (not the US).  I can only conclude that they have not read the description.  The proposals go straight to the trash.  Sorry.

Thanks