cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert to Upwork Management : Upwork support keeps closing my support request without answering

Yacine K Member Since: Oct 14, 2015
1 of 17

2 days ago I created a client account on Upwork and then put in a simple support request to ask the following question : after creating my client account, I noticed I was registered as a Company, even though I'm an Individual.  I asked Support how I could change my client account to an Individual account instead of a Company account.  I wanted to fix this before beginning to hire freelancers.

I received a response from a Support agent nicknamed "Neil" who told me how to create a Freelancer account.-- That was not my question at all, I created a Client account and all I want it to make it an Individual as opposed to a Company account, if that's at all possible. After explaining this to him, I received more nonsensical and useless replies, so I kept following up in the hope of eventually getting an answer to my very simple question. Well guess what ? following this, Support started systematically CLOSING my requests without answering.  I just cannot believe these people dare to do that to paying customers  This is a clear sign that Upwork management has no control over their Customer Support service, and that the latter has turned into an out-of-control beast.  The customer (myself) is left with no recourse whatsoever against these people, who apparently stand by each other - other reps have also closed my newer requests, the latest in date being someone named "Kevin Diomaro". 

To me, this is an example of what happens when a company grows too big, it becomes an insane machine beyond control and where customers are under the complete control and will of the front-end people, who are all-powerful since there's absolutely no way for a customer to reach someone higher up the management hierarchy.  This reminds me of government institutions that have become so big and bureacratic that citizens have no choice but submit themselves humbly to the institution's rules no matter how insane they are.  In the present case, my only alternative is to try to close my account, but I have a strange feeling they won't let me do that. I Hope someone from management sees this post, or I'll need to take it elsewhere.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 17

Your duplicate requests are being closed in order to be merged into your original ticket, so everything stays in one place. There is no point having several tickets with the same question, it just slows things down and causes confusion.

So rather than Support being malicious, they are making sure that everything is in one place.

Your client account will always be called "company" even though you may be an individual. You can't change a client account into "an individual account" as there is only one type of client (hiring) account. It's what they call the hiring entity. You can give that "company" a name, or use your own, that's up to you, but you would use it exactly the same. It won't affect you negatively.

Highlighted
Yacine K Member Since: Oct 14, 2015
3 of 17

Thank you for replying.  Two things :

- I perfectly understand the idea of merging duplicate questions, however Support kept closing ALL the requests, old and new, without answering them. Each new request was closed within 1 hour of it being posted, without answer. Is that normal ? So I do think there was indeed a "malicious" motivation behind this,

- Since I posted this rant, someone finally handled the request in a normal way! It took several days and a public complaint for Support to stop playing this game of closing successive requests without addressing them

- Your answer that there is only one type of client account is all I needed to know, it's simple enough and I don't understand why I had to go through all this trouble to get it from Support. This says a lot about the service and makes me wonder whether to continue and actually hire someone on Upwork.

- However, as someone mentioned, when you create your client account you do have a choice between Company and Individual.  This is exactly what prompted me to ask this question to Support, thinking I may have mistakenly selected Company instead of Individual.  I would like to have confirmation about this point once and for all.

In general I would suggest Upwork take a closer look at the quality of its support, especially for new customers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
4 of 17

There are 2 options on the client registration page, to signup as a company or individual. 

If you dont want to display company info, go to Settings -> My Info and uncheck the "Reveal company details in Job Posts".

Highlighted
Community Guru
5 of 17

@Claudia Z wrote:

There are 2 options on the client registration page, to signup as a company or individual.

Since when ??

These are the options:

client.jpg

On a brand new account it gives the choice between client (company) or Individual (freelancer.) As far as I know there is no option for Client / Individual. If there is it's got to be a new thing

The next step is

client 2.jpg

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211067558-Can-I-be-both-a-freelancer-doing-work-and-a-c...

Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 17

@Petra R wrote:

Since when ??

I dont know. Smiley Happy

Ive seen the 2 options on the registration page for clients https://www.upwork.com/signup/create-account/client_direct

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
7 of 17

Still says company details (my full name removed)...

Capture.JPG

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 17

@Claudia Z wrote:

@Petra R wrote:

Since when ??

I dont know. Smiley Happy

Ive seen the 2 options on the registration page for clients https://www.upwork.com/signup/create-account/client_direct

that link does not work.

do a screenshot

I still get what I described above

Highlighted
Community Guru
9 of 17

@Petra R wrote:

that link does not work.

It works, check on a browser you're not logged in.

The account settings may look the same regardless which option is selected but if the user signed up as company I guess the company field is auto populated with the info provided during registration. 

Regardless, the customer service should have clarified what is the diference if any.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
10 of 17
I only saw the option to create a company when I signed up as a client.

I'm guessing that Yacine is referring to the difference between a sole trader/proprietor and a limited company. I don't think Upwork makes that distinction.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS