cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing something wrong as a client? Why are my hires so bad?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
21 of 58

@Allen E H wrote:

Rarely is it so cleanly compartmentalized so that it can be outsourced in such a way.   What happens is that you develop trust relationships with various groups with various skill sets and you work with them and you often have them bring in extra resources and references.  I would never hire more than 2 in a competitive scenario.  The time distraction would be too costly.  If it was critical and hot, I would not move down the food chain and hire more for less. I would go up the food chain and find the top-tier resources and pay the price to have it done right.  The question is, what is critical.  If a due date is arbitrary then it is useless.  If your firm misses a deadline for a $5 million dollar contract submittal, why would you risk it with likely amateurs?  

Amen brother.

That's why I said, if time isn't important and it's not critical, noobs are OK but stay away from them if you have something critical going on. I also wouldn't hire a noob if we're talking an entire application from start to finish. You are asking to get strung along for months with a totally unusable product at the end. 

jaliu
Ace Contributor
Jonathan L Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
22 of 58

This is an interesting possibility. Do some cultures consider this kind of behavior normal? It doesn't make sense from an efficiency and relationship standpoint.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
23 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:

This is an interesting possibility. Do some cultures consider this kind of behavior normal? It doesn't make sense from an efficiency and relationship standpoint.

I agree it doesn't make sense but I've worked in im- and export for various industries, buying from and selling to many clients all over the world. There are countries and cultures that don't view a deadline the same way we do.  

jaliu
Ace Contributor
24 of 58

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cost of living for cheap freelancers is significantly less allowing them to charge much less, so it's not exactly comparing apples to apples. 

5a8e4aec
Allen E H Member Since: Feb 12, 2016
25 of 58

There is low cosy and then there is cheap and then there is another level all together here on upwork that makes me cringe .... I could not with any sense of good conscious or fair play ever offer the rates that so many seem to think is reasonable. **Edited for Community Guidelines** No empathy and no conscious, they are half a world away, who cares, it's just business.

Never teach a pig to sign, it is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.
5a8e4aec
Allen E H Member Since: Feb 12, 2016
26 of 58

Boy my spelling goes to hell when i am on a rant

Never teach a pig to sign, it is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.
anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
27 of 58

You know, I won't judge you and I also won't give you advice since I'm late to the party anyway.

What I can tell you is this: Even the most incompetent freelancers can fake it so you shouldn't really blame yourself that much.

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
28 of 58

Jonathan, like plenty of others have said, if you're hiring low cost freelancers then you will get low quality work. I also find that lower cost freelancers need more instructions and guidance in general.

It sounds like you're also having a problem with communication, like others have pointed out. If you have a deadline, you set a deadline (I always put it in the job description, if I have one). Then when you make the offer you can again confirm the deadline. Keep discussing it with your freelancer, but don't be afraid to close out the job if they don't meet it or if you think they're stringing you along.

The biggest thing for me is always communication. In the 4 years and 30+ freelancer contracts I've had here, I've only ever had 2 contracts where I had to close them early with less than 5-star feedback. One of them I realised afterwards that their high JSS and number of jobs had nearly all come from 1 client which was clearly skewing the results. If I'd done my due diligence better I may have been able to avoid that. The other one it ended up being just an insurmountable communication issue between us. I know communication works both ways though, so I shoulder some of the blame for that too.

I treat my freelancers well, communicate well, and pay them well, and I very rarely have problems that can't be overcome.

jaliu
Ace Contributor
29 of 58

Problem is, upwork doesn't show any info about the previous clients at all right? 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
30 of 58

Correct, you can't see for sure that someone has been working repeatedly for the same client. The only reason I can tell is that there is a specific client in my field who always leaves feedback following the same template, so freelancers end up with a long list of very similar feedback for lots of very small jobs (only a few dollars) if they have been working for that client. Now I know what to look for and generally try to avoid freelancers with that kind of history.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS