cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing something wrong as a client? Why are my hires so bad?

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
31 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:

Problem is, upwork doesn't show any info about the previous clients at all right? 

True, that is a problem. You have to go by the wording as the stats are not shown to clients. 

jaliu
Ace Contributor
Jonathan L Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
32 of 58

Well, I just let the person go. Today the person told me that the font could not be changed through the wordpress theme. After 20 min, it was still not complete. I know close to nothing about wordpress and was able to change the font in a few seconds with a couple clicks for the entire website. I can't believe this person made me wait 30 min to do the same, even I know it doesn't take that long to change it through the code.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
33 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:

Well, I just let the person go. Today the person told me that the font could not be changed through the wordpress theme. After 20 min, it was still not complete. I know close to nothing about wordpress and was able to change the font in a few seconds with a couple clicks for the entire website. (...)

It seems that you hired a joke. They were probably learning Wordpress on the job.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
34 of 58

So one of my clients (nah, he/she ain't on Upwork) has this way of doing things:

• nothing happens for 3 weeks
  • during the 4th week, he/she comes saying: OMG! We have to do this NOW. It's been on the backlog for 2 weeks.

Usually I take it as some form of humor, do the work (which at most sums up to 2 days) and amaze everyone.

But!

I never take him/her seriously. He can pay me a million dollars per month, I'm never going to think of him/her as someone professional.

Now, if I work with somebody who is always on top of things and gives me work everyday (for which I have to show up), at some point I start thinking: I ain't getting paid enough to be here every **bleep** day. Even if paid with one million USD per month.

Bottom line, 3 weeks of work and one of leasure on an average income (for a software developer like me that would be $30/hour) it's the perfect harmony.

jaliu
Ace Contributor
35 of 58

Sorry, I don't get the point you are trying to make! And is that client on a fixed or hourly contract?

I get if the freelancer can't provide a ton of attention at the rate charged (or if he/she just rather not), but tell me so I at least know what to expect -- especially when I bring it up and ask how you approach the work and communication so I know what to expect and am not left wondering what's going on when you disappear. Unfortunately, when you have these kinds of conversations with them, sometimes hours long, things still don't change. It's just a waste of time for both parties, which makes no sense. I also saw in the screenshots that the freelancer was doing like 20 different things at the same time which explains a lot.

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
36 of 58

To cut it short, I don't know about the people you are hiring, but for my case the minimum amount so I work with only one client at a time is to get around 4000 euros per month. I don't consider it too much, I know it's not anywhere to cheap, but that amount of income will give me, at least, peace of mind if the car brakes down or if the video card fails.

Again, I don't know about your hires, but I'm pretty confident everybody has that kind of amount set in his mind. But if you, as the contractor, have projects for $200-$500, it's pretty obvious you can't make end's meet.

I was looking at the medium income in Pune, India, and, well, it's higher than in Cluj - a city in an EU country. So...

5a8e4aec
Allen E H Member Since: Feb 12, 2016
37 of 58

I think your common sense view is a good start ... but there are too many people trying to be arm chair economists trying to pass judgement on what a living wage is in countries they no little about.  I get to know the people I am working with in India and I can tell you they are not interested in making the wages that people are expecting.  Its a country with a lot of disparity in wealth.  The crank out engineers faster than the economy can absorb, so you get a lot of desperate people there..  Desperate people dont make for the best workforce, dont expect them to be reliable they are too busy trying to survive and the wages you are offering does little to help them.  I have established some great relationships there where there is plenty of value for each side.  It fosters mutual respect and it facilitates their commitment to your projects 

Never teach a pig to sign, it is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.
jaliu
Ace Contributor
38 of 58

Not interested in making the wages people are expecting? They are the ones setting their own rates and agreeing to the terms of the contract. Why take jobs only to neglect them? Unfortunately, if they are not pleased with the laws of supply and demand they can either improve their skill set or change their circumstances. I'm pretty sure us giving them jobs is better than not giving them jobs. 

5a8e4aec
Allen E H Member Since: Feb 12, 2016
39 of 58

Like I said, there are lots of desperate people taking jobs for whatever price they can get.  I don't have your problem, I have the exact opposite.  Right now, outside of upwork, I have a large commercial project involving google apps scripts and google drive rest api for a company with over 10,000 active member who upload multi-gigabyte files where we are providing a resumable upload feature that we are publishing through our own web app and api that uses google as the data storage host.   My project is casual easy to manage, on time and under budget. The customer is delighted and with future enhancements this is turning into a job worth 50K over the next year.  I have my Indian counterparts me video walkthrough updates weekly as required, we talk almost daily as required, everything is well documented ... I have no complaints.

I just dont have your issues, but I do things a lot differently than you do.

Never teach a pig to sign, it is a waste of your time and it annoys the pig.
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
40 of 58

If someone is setting a low rate, it is because they can't compete at a higher rate.

I may take on a job for less than my normal fee if I feel like doing the work, but I don't advertise rock bottom rates or chase after low fee jobs. 

If you are paying less than minimum wage (U.S.) for a task, then you are working with someone who is competing on price, not talent. IMO, it doesn't take much to be a Rising Talent. Look for examples of the person's work. Ask questions via the message system before hiring, and set milestones. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS