cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing something wrong as a client? Why are my hires so bad?

claudiacezy
Community Guru
Claudia Z Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
41 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:
Unfortunately, when you have these kinds of conversations with them, sometimes hours long, things still don't change. It's just a waste of time for both parties, which makes no sense.

Are you billed for those hours?

jaliu
Ace Contributor
Jonathan L Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
42 of 58

No, this is fixed price. Though for hourly rate I see the person just surfing the web in the screenshots.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
43 of 58

Jonathan, if you said what type of freelancers you're hiring, I didn't see it. In what field are you hiring?

jaliu
Ace Contributor
44 of 58

Web development. I told him/her I was letting him/her go couple days ago and I saw that he/she closed the job today noting that I "failed to pay"! And he/she never even billed me for all this "work that they did"!!! The person kept pressing me to give them a job that I wasn't even hiring for at the time and then when I hired them they didn't do any work... I was able to do what it took them several days to do (while asking for the same directions over chat, failing  and making tons of mistakes in the process) in 10 minutes! And again, I am at a level of 1 or worse in expertise while he/she is at an 8/9.  Always had excuses and always asked to do things later that day which never happened of course.

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
45 of 58

This is unfortunate, but this is the kind of thing I expect to see when a client hires only one low-cost developer at a time for a web development project, rather than hiring multiple people. Should have hired 5 to 10, really, and continued with only 1 or 2.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
46 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:

Web development. I told him/her I was letting him/her go couple days ago and I saw that he/she closed the job today noting that I "failed to pay"! And he/she never even billed me for all this "work that they did"!!! The person kept pressing me to give them a job that I wasn't even hiring for at the time and then when I hired them they didn't do any work... I was able to do what it took them several days to do (while asking for the same directions over chat, failing  and making tons of mistakes in the process) in 10 minutes! And again, I am at a level of 1 or worse in expertise while he/she is at an 8/9.  Always had excuses and always asked to do things later that day which never happened of course.

Stop whining and hire professionals at professional rates. 

jaliu
Ace Contributor
47 of 58

there is no definition of "professioal rate," though i do get how higher cost is correlated with better peformance. to be fair, i didn't intend on hiring this person but he/she pressured me like i said.

jmeyn
Community Guru
Joachim M Member Since: Mar 23, 2015
48 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:

there is no definition of "professioal rate," though i do get how higher cost is correlated with better peformance. to be fair, i didn't intend on hiring this person but he/she pressured me like i said.

Well, there are two to the party, one pressing and one allowing himself to be pressed. Learn to say no. And, yes, there are professional rates. Look at what a professional in your country of residence would ask for. Naturally you can follow Preston's suggestion of hiring many people and take the best results - if you can afford the necessary overhead... 

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
49 of 58

@Jonathan L wrote:

to be fair, i didn't intend on hiring this person but he/she pressured me like i said.

What exactly does that mean? What the **Edited for Community Guidelines** are you doing? Did you hire a beggar who ended up learning Wordpress or whatever job you throw on her?

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
50 of 58

You must make future hiring decisions based on logic rather than emotion. There are some people who will perform well in response to kindness, but others who will simply take advantage. : (

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS