cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing something wrong as a client? Why are my hires so bad?

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
51 of 58

He fell for one of those "plz give me job sir" people. I used to get them when I was hiring writers. One guy, I actually gave him a chance and asked him to clean up his writing after a while because it was getting sloppy. He cursed me out, so I fired him. He saw me posting again for writers and begged me to take him back. lol Would not stop emailing  me. Ugh.

davidd1008
Community Leader
David D Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
52 of 58

I think a lot of others have brought up some great points but just to throw in my 2 cents...

You're definitely setting yourself up for failure by hiring cheap. 

That's not to say you can't find quality work that's at a discount or better rate than you might find out in the real world, but like all things you get what you pay for.

There's three basic types of freelancers on Upwork (or any platform).

Pros who do this for a living. This is how they put food on their table. They charge the highest rates.

Part-timers who have some skill/experience/training who do this on the side for extra money. They're in the middle.

The third type... I don't know if there's a more PC way of saying this, but low-cost third world freelancers. Many of them are just "freelance farms" basically. and they're the ones with the lowest rates. 

Which agian, is not to say you can't find quality in all types, it's just harder to find them the lower down the ladder you go. 

You know what's at the bottom of the barrel, don't you? 

You may also be setting yourself up for failure if you're ndicating you're looking for entry level work or advertising a low budget. The top tier of freelancers and a good portion of the middle tier will pretty much ignore your job and move on, deciding it's not worth their time. 

Someone else said earlier that if you're hiring cheap you're hiring people who are competing based on price and not talent. I think that's a great way to look at it. Freelancers who know their stuff and can deliver high quality work will almost lways price themselves accordingly, regardless of where they live. 

I all somewhere around the middle tier and when I see jobs that are far below what I'd normally rate I don't even look at them, even if it sounds like a fun/interesting/challenging gig. I don't mind adjusting my rates a little if I think the job sounds like a good one, or cutting a client a little discount if there's consistent work to be had. But there's a limit. 

Bottom line: If you want quality work you have to be prepared to pay quality rates. 

gbalint
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
53 of 58

Why would a good developer that knows he's good be in the cheap category? Only because he's in India? I saw developers from there asking and being paid with $40-$60 per hour.

Ah, looking for someone who doesn't know his own value? Same thing happens with the IT companies in Cluj. They're looking for that awesome senior developer who's happy to live in the office and be paid maybe 1200 euros.

I read some ad saying they offer the great opportunity of working full-time. Like spending 2 hours in traffic each day + 8 at work is a perk.

lysis10
Community Guru
54 of 58

@Gabriel B wrote:

Why would a good developer that knows he's good be in the cheap category? Only because he's in India? I saw developers from there asking and being paid with $40-$60 per hour.

Ah, looking for someone who doesn't know his own value? Same thing happens with the IT companies in Cluj. They're looking for that awesome senior developer who's happy to live in the office and be paid maybe 1200 euros.

I read some ad saying they offer the great opportunity of working full-time. Like spending 2 hours in traffic each day + 8 at work is a perk.

ha it's the same here. "We're going to pay you an average salary and give you lots of benefits like a pool table but keep you here 60 hours a week and b* at you if you use the pool table too long." Yeah, I'll pass. And then they want you to have corporate spirit like work is your family. No boddy, work is for money and I really don't want to do it. I want to enjoy time away from my boss.

I can't tell you how many sit-down lectures I had for not having corporate spirit. At least with contracting even onsite they don't push that garbage as much. AS much anyway. With contracting, they just push it on you as a carrot on a stick and tell you if you don't have it then you might not get hired full time. Oh no whatever will I do? Don't do that I might never find a job again! 

lindseyhgregory
Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
55 of 58

Speaking as someone who recently re-entered the workforce and is closer and closer to regretting this decision; I have to say, that some employers have an insulting level of expectation even when they offer NO benefits. My fault for taking the job - but jesus - calls on the weekends/Saturday nights, about work coming up on Monday? 

NOPE 

Plus I have to commute for 1.5 hrs every day?

DOUBLE NOPE

lysis10
Community Guru
56 of 58

@Lindsey G wrote:

Speaking as someone who recently re-entered the workforce and is closer and closer to regretting this decision; I have to say, that some employers have an insulting level of expectation even when they offer NO benefits. My fault for taking the job - but jesus - calls on the weekends/Saturday nights, about work coming up on Monday? 

NOPE 

Plus I have to commute for 1.5 hrs every day?

DOUBLE NOPE

lol yeah. After my last job, a recruiter tried to poach me for one of Ebay's offices here. It's a 1 hour drive at least maybe more. I told her that I'd be driving a lot farther than the current job I had so I would need to be compensated for the longer commute. She responded with benefits. B I don't care about the pool table and the fact that it's ebay. I want money. 

lindseyhgregory
Community Leader
Lindsey G Member Since: Jul 28, 2015
57 of 58

Stop hiring cheap people. And especially stop hiring cheap people on hourly projects because they're just going to pad hours. Go fixed rate; set a reasonable amount of time between project award date and due date for milestones. Use funded milestones and release funds when certain parts of the project are completed to satisfaction.

jaliu
Ace Contributor
Jonathan L Member Since: Oct 20, 2015
58 of 58

It was a fixed price job but I guess it just had the opposite effect. I would actually have been much happier if he/she had just come out and said "hey. i'm working on a bunch of other things" or whatever, so I could set expectations instead of wasting time. I even told the person I assume you're doing a, b, and c too but he/she always tried to make it seem like he/she was working and had my full attention even though it was obviously untrue.