cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I getting scammed ?

Highlighted
Jeff S Member Since: Mar 12, 2014
1 of 6
Hello, first time poster here. I have a freelancer who is doing some web programming. My concern is that he knows the system and might just be doing a little bit of work or moving his mouse around every few minutes to make the screen capture system appear that he is working. Does this happen? I have seen screen shots that are the same as others many times but it doesnt seem much work is getting accomplished. I have even seen his screen shot of the screen shot page as if he is looking to see if it appears he's working. Im already into this small job for more then I could of paid a local US person to do it. Im getting worried. Please, your feedback is appreciated.
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
2 of 6
Hard to tell from here. If you're unsure, stop the hours and limit the damage until you know either way. Ask for results so far. You don't say how much the contract is worth...paying a high or low hourly rate doesn't guarantee anything; but there is definitely a correlation between low rate and this sort of thing. You also don't say how long the job has been going on for. 'Web programming' covers a wide spectrum of things too - I can think of a few scenarios where only close analysis would show a difference between screenshots (changed text in the editor; a slightly different hue to buttons and elements in a theme, etc); but there should be differences. Milking a client for hours does happen, yes. You haven't really told us enough to make a good guess either way; but the symptoms as you describe them plus the fact that you were worried enough to post here doesn't sound encouraging. If you do decide that you're being milked take out a support ticket https://support.odesk.com/ ...and report the contractor. You have a limited time window to dispute the last week's charges
Highlighted
Community Guru
Margaret P Member Since: Jul 7, 2007
3 of 6
As darren said, change the hours to 0 and ask for delivery of what he has done so far so you can review it. All my clients have me send the work to their server or a repository (GIT or SVN) so they always have it. I would suggest you do that. I would never let a contractor just 'work and work' and not send me anything and yet pile up hours. That is way too trusting.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Marcia M Member Since: Apr 3, 2013
4 of 6
Have you asked the freelancer directly why his screenshots don't show any work? He may very well give you some bs answer, but the way he answers may give you some insight into the kind of worker he is. Having a written conversation will also give you more backup when dealing with support.
Highlighted
Exp U Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
5 of 6
Good points.
Highlighted
Najie B Member Since: Oct 8, 2013
6 of 6
This is really possible, especially if the workload is 30+hours. Maybe, just limit the hours into a limit that you think he can do a certain part of project with the specified time given. For example he can complete 10% of the whole project within an hour, then give him a limit of 10 hours.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS