🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Amount of Time to Accept Offer
Page options
4df86aad
Community Member

Amount of Time to Accept Offer

I am new to Upwork and made my first job offer yesterday.  I was shocked to see that the freelancer had 7 days to accept.  I used the Upwork Chat feature to get assistance on this and was told: " I can see that it is system designed that the freelancer have 7 days to accept the offer and we cannot shortened that time frame, however, once the freelancer received the offer, they can accept it as soon as possible."

This is so bad for the Clients from a business point of view on so many levels and so many clients can be hurt by this that I'm wondering if I simply just don't understand the work-arounds or other subleties.

Would someone please provide some insight on this important issue.

8 REPLIES 8
stephenbrightman
Community Member

All you need to do is manually over-ride it. Tell the freelancer they have whatever amount of time to decide. If they haven't replied by then, withdraw the offer.

Stephen, thank you for the rapid and helpful reply.

I went through the offer process again and didn't see any way to change the 7 day parameter; in fact, I didn't even see any reference to it.  I also looked at my personal settings and found nothing.  Other than sending a message to the freelancer outside of the offer process, I can't find any other way to accomplish this.

Could you please detail the process?

Thank you, again.

Hi Charlotte,

When the offer is pending freelancer's response, you as a client have an option to view it in your Freelancers tab and withdraw it if needed. I believe that's what Stephen was referring to. There is no option to edit the offer expiration date.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Thank you, Valeria.

I meant was, have a discussion with the client at interview stage as to how long they can wait for you to accept an offer. Good communication is everything on here.

7 days to decide?

only if you allow that long.

I have had projects in the past that I only wanted one specific contractor for, because I wanted their opinion, their expertise. In those cases, I waited as long as it took.

In other situations, I was in a hurry. I posted jobs and hired within ten minutes. Applicants who came in a little later were surprised to find the position was filled by the time they sent their application.

I have also sent multiple hire offers to applicants for the same job, received their work, paid them, and closed the job within an hour or two. I have had a few job applicants who I sent hire offers to, which specifically noted the fast-paced nature of the project, but they waited until the next day... Only to find the project was already complete. So, no, they did not get a chance to do the job.

So there is not necessarily an opportunity for a contractor to wait "7 days" to reply. That is really up to you as a client.

Thanks, all, I now understand the mechanisms to deal with the issue..

9683d2bc
Community Member

Being a freelancer, we must accept the offer in a hurry and I'm doing it for my clients but sometimes the client sends the offer prior to the interview so we have to wait for the interview and that's why it takes time to accept the offer.

Usually, a lot of clients do not answer the interview question and when we accept the offer without the interview then the client comes up with extra work and burden and that is a type of scam as the amount is already decided in the offer so we cannot change it then after accepting.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths