cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Annoying and pathetic support from Upwork

e9936f08
Martin K Member Since: Aug 18, 2016
1 of 20

It seems upwork are very paranoid about any job related to "Product Reviews".

I posted a job for writers to write product reviews on my OWN websites.

How do I stop Upwork getting paranoid about this and closing my job.

They've also disabled my messaging for 1 day and this is REALLY inconvenient.

I have specially written this job spec to try to avoid this problem:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
2 of 20

Would you be happy if the reviews of the product were extremely negative? Will you be clearly stating on your site that the reviews have been paid for? If so, then you might be ok... but it's not so much about it being your site or not your site... it's just that a lot of countries have rules on paying people for reviews. 

As a result, you may feel the support is annoying and pathetic... but it might be accurate, even if it's not what you want to hear. 

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
e9936f08
3 of 20

Let me answer your questions:

"Would you be happy if the reviews of the product were extremely negative?"

I am paying people to write articles to post on my own product review website that are informative and useful for visitors. I choose popular products to review that have good feedback from people who bought them. Based on this it would be odd if the reviews were extremely negative.

"Will you be clearly stating on your site that the reviews have been paid for?"

Firstly, note I am having the reviews written for my own website. "paid reviews" that are posted to sites like Amazon, Trip Advisor etc posing as real feedback are something completely different and I think Amazon threatened to sue Upwork because people on Upwork were writing this kind of fraudulant review.

If I own a website and pay people to write articles I am operating in a similar way to consumerreports.org, nytimes.com etc. NY Times does not state on its website that the articles on its site have been paid for.

"If so, then you might be ok... but it's not so much about it being your site or not your site... it's just that a lot of countries have rules on paying people for reviews."

I think you are getting confused about fraudulent reviews on Amazon, Tripadvisor etc. You seem to live in Spain. I thought there was freedom of speech in Spain. Surely it is legal in Spain to have a website where I pay writers to review products? Tell me if I am wrong. My websites target the US and there is freedom of speech there too.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 20

It depends on what sort of reviews you are asking for.

If you are paying someone to review a product or book that the reviewer has no experience of or has not read, then the review will be biased at best.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
5 of 20

@Martin K wrote:

Firstly, note I am having the reviews written for my own website.

If I own a website and pay people to write articles

Articles or reviews?

If you are giving people the products to review, check, test, and write about: FINE

If you are paying people to write fake reviews of something they have never seen, touched, tried, used, then that has nothing to do with "free speech" - it's just, at best, disingenuous.... no mastter where it is published.

stencil_media
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
6 of 20

I'm currently bumming around in Cambodia for a bit, but yes, I'm a Brit living in Spain. But anyway, 'free speech' isn't the problem. The problem is 'paid for speech'. Like you mention there is free speech in the US... you're right, but they still have to put at the end of the TV shows that certain products were 'provided for consideration' or whatever it is these days.  

I see what you're saying though... sites like trustedreviews.com or whatever it is, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that.

But I'm assuming the goal is to review only good products and include referral links to these products, so negative reviews would be a bad thing for you as they're unlikely to click the links? I'm torn between whether that's a conflict of interest or not, but thankfully I don't make the rules!

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
e9936f08
7 of 20

@Nichola @Petra It doesn't help me to provide biased or useless reviews. A site will only be popular if its reviews provide useful information, both pros and cons. Visitors won't trust an obviously biased review. My writers do research on the web about the products they review, for example by looking at customer reviews on Amazon.

@Scott Yes, there is a potential conflict of interest. When doing any research on the web you should do your due dilligence. In the US there is a legal requirement to mention on the website that there are affiliate links.

Actually there are many truly good products on Amazon available at competitive prices, so finding good products to review is not a problem. However with some other affiliate programs, the products can be mediocre and overpriced due to unreasonably large commissions--you can buy very similar products on Amazon much cheaper. That's why I like Amazon's affiliate program.

However we are getting off-topic. My point is that the support staff at Upwork have very limited knowledge of what is allowed and not allowed on Upwork and what is legal and illegal. They should know this. They are quick to delete jobs I have posted and offer poor support. It is extremely frustrating.

It is sympomatic that no-one who works for Upwork seems to have replied here--only users. I think this shows the contempt Upwork show for their customers--the users of this site.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
8 of 20

I think that for Upwork your posting is near the border between what they think is acceptable and what they think is not. This platform is crowded by fake review jobs and Upwork tries it best to enforce its own rules.

You may be a victim of a collateral damage of Upwork's rules enforcement.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
e9936f08
9 of 20

@Rene Yes I think you are right. Various users who have posted here are not clear about what is and is not acceptable But the support staff should be capable of knowing the difference. It is their job to know this. I have had 2 jobs deleted due to them not knowing this.

There appears to be no-one you can escalate issues to or complain to at Upwork. Just a bunch of underqualified support staff.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 20

@Martin K wrote:

@Nichola @Petra It doesn't help me to provide biased or useless reviews. A site will only be popular if its reviews provide useful information, both pros and cons. Visitors won't trust an obviously biased review. My writers do research on the web about the products they review, for example by looking at customer reviews on Amazon.

I see, so "looking at customer reviews" (written by other people) qualifies your writers to produce knowledgeable reviews? Unless the writers quote their  precise source, that  would still be misrepresentation, and possibly even, plagiarism. Your writers should have first-hand experience of a product or book and not spin somebody else's views.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS