cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another messages bug (lasts about 2-3 months)

Ace Contributor
Ilia K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
1 of 10

Hello again.

Messages have this bug, here is the way to check it:

1) Go to JOBS page

2) Select "Send message" to one of yout freelancers

3) Type and send message

4) Freelancer answers you, you will get e-mail with answer, but when you click "View this conversation" — BOOM.

You can't view this page, becuase you don't have acceess to it. 

You can try to switch freelancer-client account, clear caches and cookies, but nothing will fix it and you can speak with the freelancer only via answering by e-mail to upwork message.

And you don't see these conversations in your chat tab.

Really sad. I've found out this bug about 2 months ago, but nobody cares.

Ace Contributor
Amardeep S Member Since: Sep 22, 2009
2 of 10

I've experienced this bug too.

In addition, this isn't the only bug in the messaging system. I cannot view any of my messages sent or recieved from one particular client. I complained about this to customer care in December 2015, but the issue hasn't been solved. Their latest update is that it is a complex technical problem, and that the engineering department is looking into it. Its been more than a month now, and I have exeperienced so many problems because of this since I cannot refer to any of the older mails!

Has anybody else had a similar experience? Any solutions?

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
3 of 10

Amardeep:

I am having same problem, but the only solution I have at this time is that I am communicating with my clients via phone call and regular email.

My clients and I agree that the Upwork message center cannot be trusted with communication.

I know Upwork wants you to use the platform as the basis for communication, but in order for this to happen, you must be able to rely on the platform.

Sadly you cannot

Ace Contributor
Amardeep S Member Since: Sep 22, 2009
4 of 10

Thanks Cheryl. I too have started using regular mail and skype for communication with clients. I just wish I had started it sooner!

Ace Contributor
5 of 10

Cheryl,

I saw that Upwork doesn't like when you communicate with your clients via skype/email/etc

Some of my friends-freelancers got their contacts paused because of this.

But, anyway, it seems that we don't have an option. We can't trust and use Upwork messaging system.

Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
6 of 10

@Ilya K wrote:

Cheryl,

I saw that Upwork doesn't like when you communicate with your clients via skype/email/etc

Some of my friends-freelancers got their contacts paused because of this.

But, anyway, it seems that we don't have an option. We can't trust and use Upwork messaging system.

Upwork has no problem with people communicating through Skype or email. I do it all the time.

They do have a problem with putting your Skype name or email address in your profile but you can add it to your proposal. They also really hate people getting paid off the site.

Your friends were probably suspended for somereason other than simply communicating with a client through Skype or email.

Community Guru
Cheryl K Member Since: Jul 16, 2015
7 of 10

Your buddies probably had suspended accounts for other reasons.  It is quite possible they included contact information in their profile or proposal.

Once you have established a contractual working relationship you can communicate off-platform.  Of course that is not recommended by the same folks that bring you the platform with the messaging problems.

Ace Contributor
Cheyenne L Member Since: Mar 16, 2015
8 of 10

As a freelancer, I sometimes have trouble getting my files, messages, etc through to my clients which is SO FRUSTRATING especially because it reflects upon me as a professional. I hope they fix the bug for you all! 

Ace Contributor
9 of 10

Here is what I get, when I'm trying to open the conversation from the e-mail link.

PLEASE FIX IT.

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
10 of 10

Hi Ilya,

I understand how frustrating this is. Our engineers are aware of certain issues with sending messages from the contract page and they expect it to be fixed during one of the upcoming updates. Meanwhile, I suggest you send messages from your Messages tab.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS