🐈
» Forums » Clients » Any tips for hiring contractors in Americas t...
Page options
frasermills
Community Member

Any tips for hiring contractors in Americas time zone?

I have been trying to hire contractors relating to web design and development, people who are generally available during 2pm UTC through to 11pm UTC. 

I am having dificulty finding suitable contractors. 

Is it the same for others or do I need to change something in the job description?

Any tips?

Thanks

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

re: "Does this sound normal?"

Well... it might be normal.

Not every job niche is popular all over the world.

I have hired 130 freelancers on Upwork.

A lot of the freelancers I have hired live in South America, Cental America, or North America.

But it depends on the job niche.

I never specify time zone, region, or country.

But there are certain types of jobs I hire for... I know I'm going to get a Ukrainian. Doesn't matter what type of day I post. Maybe nobody else is qualified.

Other types of jobs... almost certainly a Filipino.

If you want to hire from the Americas and you're having difficulty doing so... you may need to do a SEARCH using region and country filters, and send INVITES.

And make sure you are posting jobs as hourly, not fixed-price, with an expansive pay rate range.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
prestonhunter
Community Member

You could simply state working hours in your job posting.

Or specify time zones in your job posting.

Or only consider proposals from freelancers in yiur preferred time zones.

Or post your job during your preferred working hours, and make it privat/hidden outside of these hours.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I am doing all of the above. The issue is that by doing that I am not finding contractors to hire. 

The current posting has not received anyone from Americas so far.

Previous postings I only received two applicants from Americas, and I did hire one contractor in the end. 

Does this sound normal?

re: "Does this sound normal?"

Well... it might be normal.

Not every job niche is popular all over the world.

I have hired 130 freelancers on Upwork.

A lot of the freelancers I have hired live in South America, Cental America, or North America.

But it depends on the job niche.

I never specify time zone, region, or country.

But there are certain types of jobs I hire for... I know I'm going to get a Ukrainian. Doesn't matter what type of day I post. Maybe nobody else is qualified.

Other types of jobs... almost certainly a Filipino.

If you want to hire from the Americas and you're having difficulty doing so... you may need to do a SEARCH using region and country filters, and send INVITES.

And make sure you are posting jobs as hourly, not fixed-price, with an expansive pay rate range.

Ok, thanks for sharing your experience of using Upwork.

I see I have hired 43 freelancers on Upwork, and my experience has been largely the same as yours. 

I have never had to rely on sending Invites, but I will do some searching and see if sending invites can help.

Thanks. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths