🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: App Development Idea Security
Page options
4d790903
Community Member

App Development Idea Security

First of all, I'm sorry. I don't know what category to post this under.

I want an app developed, but I don't want the idea to be posted publicy and stolen by large companies who can beat me to the punch.

How can I solicit my idea to developers and also retain rights on my intellectual property?

My concern is that I post my fully developed app idea (to find freelancers) and then find it on the app marketplace (not by me).

Is there a way I can patent my idea through a website or a way through Upwork to make sure I don't encounter this problem?

Thank-you.

4 REPLIES 4
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kyle,

You can create a job positing sharing only few details and once you have shortlisted the candidates you share all of the details about your project with the candidate. 

As per Upwork TOS, once you have paid for the delivered work the intellectual property belongs to you.

You can also ask them to sign an additional NDA about your project for extra security.

~ Goran
Upwork
bobafett999
Community Member

@Kyle M wrote:

Is there a way I can patent my idea through a website or a way through Upwork to make sure I don't encounter this problem?

Thank-you.

Only Patent offices in the countries you are interested in Patenting can issue you a Patent.  Upwok is not a Patent office.

If you are in US you may visit the US Patent Office.  They have step by step instructions about how to file for a patent.

versailles
Community Member

@Kyle M wrote:

My concern is that I post my fully developed app idea (to find freelancers) and then find it on the app marketplace (not by me).

It won't happen.

A zillion of people already had the same idea as yours, and they all have zero value until they are turned into working code. Upwork and online freelancing platforms are full of absolutely fantastic IT ideas that will definitely change the way the world spins, new Twitters, Facebooks, Googles and whatnots. Yours is just another drop into this vast ocean.

Jusy post a job and start hiring.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Okay,  thanks for the confidence! 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths