cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Developer account

dore-john
John D Member Since: May 17, 2016
1 of 5

Just have a question here. I am having an app created by someone on upwork. They have asked me for my apple developer account, which I don't have since I haven't made an app before. They are requesting I create one (it costs $100) they say they need it for the push notifications for the app. Should I be paying for this? Should the developer not have the tools needed to create the app?

thanks for any feedback!

yowiedesign
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
2 of 5

You need to have your own apple developer account. This is required to submit the app to the app store in your name. 

Similar to having an iTunes account for purchases.

alexandruifrim
Ace Contributor
Alexandru I Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
3 of 5

In order to submit apps to the App Store, you'll need a developer account (joining "Apple Developer Program").

Through this, you'll also receive payments for your live apps (if the apps are not free or if they contain iAd ads), and you'll be able to edit description, screenshots etc. that will show up in the App Store.

You may not be required to pay for the membership fee ($100/y) until you release the app (not sure how that works, but I remember seeing an announcement about this a few months ago).

condee
Konrad J Member Since: May 19, 2016
4 of 5
You need Apple Developer program only to:
- Submit your app to the app store
- Test your app on iphone

Since you can submit your app yourself once it's ready, I suspect that guy doesn't have an Apple dev account which doesn't look too good if he claims to be a serious iOS developer.
Also the idea of passing your credentials to someone sounds very weird so I'd ditch that guy if possible.

And I wouldn't pay for an apple dev program until you need one. It's them who should take care of that if they claim to make you an iphone app IMO.
alexandruifrim
Ace Contributor
Alexandru I Member Since: Apr 5, 2016
5 of 5

@Konrad J wrote:

Since you can submit your app yourself once it's ready, I suspect that guy doesn't have an Apple dev account which doesn't look too good if he claims to be a serious iOS developer.

That's not a fair assumption. For push notifications, the developer needs to get some SSLs from Apple and put them on the server.

While it's possible to set these up on their account, this just complicates things needing to do more changes prior release.

Also, in my experience, the clients never submit the apps themselves (specifically setting up release provisionings, building the app using the proper settings/configurations etc.). It's not a complex job, but it can still take plenty of time for someone new to understand the entire process.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS