Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approving Milestone

Highlighted
Robin W Member Since: Oct 15, 2015
1 of 5

Hi,

I have hired a freelancer. I then wrote very specific instructions, like 20 bullets and made an outline how I wanted it to be. Yet the freelancer took parts of a website and just copy/paste (i.e not original work)...

so I have to rewrite it all.

I hate to see "hard working" people not be paid so I am ready to negotiate a lower rate. Down from the original $120 USD to somewhere $30-40 USD for the time spent.

But I don't want to press the "approval" button and then see the $120 USD that is funded to be shipped right away. How do I change the sum that will be sent?

Please don't flame me, understand that I am not trying to avoid paying for a freelancer. The freelancer did not follow instructions and participated in plagiarism.

Best,

Robin

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
BEST ANSWER
2 of 5

Have you discussed it with the freelancer? That would be a sensible first step so that you avoid a dispute situation.

Having said that, after you click on the button where you release the funds you can edit the amount.

That allows you to release an amount lower than what is in Escrow, and request the return of the remainder to your payment method.

However:

The freelancer then has 3 choices, with different outcomes:

1) They can approve the return of the remaining funds to your payment method: Money returns to you straight away.

2) The can dispute the return of the remaining funds: The whole thing goes to dispute

3) They can do nothing: The funds go back to your payment method within 7 days.

As 2) is an irritating thing it's best avoided which is why I would suggest that you discuss it with the freelancer and tell them honestly and straight what's wrong and why you want toproceed this way.

Personally I have 0 tolerance for plagiarism so I'd report the freelancer as well.

Community Leader
Saiful I Member Since: Aug 22, 2015
3 of 5

You have to change your terms and price and you also need to discuss with your freelancer. 

After freelancer approval, u able to pay specific amount. Otherwise you have to dispute to support for this job with all details.

Finally I would like to say: I said this above, based on Elance experience. Actually I have no any client account.

Thanks

~ Saiful, Upwork Freelancer
Be honest, works will looking for you.
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 5

@Saiful I wrote:

1) You have to change your terms and price and

2) you also need to discuss with your freelancer. 

3) After freelancer approval, u able to pay specific amount.

4)Otherwise you have to dispute to support for this job with all details.

5)Finally I would like to say: I said this above, based on Elance experience. Actually I have no any client account.

1) wrong

2) it is a good idea to discuss with the freelancer first, but not required

3) wrong - he can request return of escrow funds without freelancer approval, the freelancer can then approve or dispute such a request

4) wrong - only the freelancer can dispute then on release of Escrow funds.

5) This is Upwork, not Elance.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
5 of 5

The original poster has the right idea... Pay the contractor something, but not the full amount. And don't give the freelancer a chance to fix this.

If I found out that this was the kind of freelancer I was working with, I, too, would not want any more work done by that freelancer.

I would want to end things as quickly as possible in whatever way minimizes the likelihood that I will hear from that freelancer again with whining that I didn't pay him anything.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS