🐈
» Forums » Clients » Arrogant reply from a rude person - why does ...
Page options
c0fa74d8
Community Member

Arrogant reply from a rude person - why does he even offer his services on this site ?

Hello,

This may not be the place, but I wish to air a grievance.

I listed a job last night looking for an editor of a book. Amongst many lovely replies I received, (I only asked 5 people directly, but so far have received over 10 other unsolicited applications from other people who read my job post) there was a reply from a man I'll call Martin F.   He claims to have 40 years of editing and publishing experience. His initial message was abrupt and though lengthy, quite unfriendly. As if to say, if you deem to write to me, this is the way it'll be.  I thought maybe he just had a gruff manner.  I replied today to his message with a more detailed outline, telling what I was looking for.

His next response was outright rude and hostile and uncalled for.  He closed his missive by telling me to calm down.  A totally incorrect response to my message which was anything but excitable.

One bad apple... as they say.

If someone is so full of himself, I wonder why he even offers his services on this site ? It does nothing to encourage people like me to continue using UPWORK if such ridiculous people populate the site and expect to pick up work while acting as if they're god's gift to whatever they do.

If I were the owners/admins of this site, such uncalled for response merits de-listing from Upwork.  Better to keep up a high standard than let such rotten apples spoil the experience for new users. 

If an administrator reads this and wishes to see the details of the conversation, I shall be happy to provide it.  I am so angry that this Martin F person acts in such a way and probably does with everyone. If there's a standard / quality to aspire to, he fails miserably. No matter how "good" he thinks he is at whatever he says he does.

End of complaint. 

As for the other responses and fine offers, I shall be working my way through each.

Mark

9 REPLIES 9
charuan
Community Member

Mark, first of all, I'll have to ask you to calm down...

Hahaha, jokes aside there are indeed very bad apples on the site, but don't let that discourage you. There are hundreds of top-notch professionals that are masters in their field. 

You will be receiving very bad proposals every time you create a job, but you just need to pick those relevant and go from there. If you identify a couple of red flags right from the first contact, don't even bother and move to the next candidate.

I wish you the best in your future endeavors! 

c0fa74d8
Community Member

Thanks Charaun

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mark,

I'm so sorry to hear about the unpleasant experience you had with this freelancer. Please click on my name and send me a PM with evidence of their unprofessional bahvior. I'll be sure to escalate your report to the correct team for their review.

Thank you! 

~ Bojan
Upwork
c0fa74d8
Community Member

Done, thanks Bojan. I trust you received my PM. Best, Mark

prestonhunter
Community Member

People have different communication styles.

Sometimes another person's communication style does not mesh well with our own.

sapphire31
Community Member

Some could have bad experiences as well that led them to be grumpy.

moonraker
Community Member

Just move on. ****heads like that are not worth spending another moment on.

richard_wein
Community Member

Prospective clients should be made aware that Upwork does not vet freelancers for competence, qualifications or professionalism. I don't know whether Upwork informs new clients of this. I suspect they don't.

elastella
Community Member

Mark R wrote:

Amongst many lovely replies I received, (I only asked 5 people directly, but so far have received over 10 other unsolicited applications from other people who read my job post) there was a reply from a man I'll call Martin F. 

Well, if you don't want "unsolicited applications" you should make your posting invite-only. Unless you do so and openly list your job, people will respond to your ad as that is what this platform is all about.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths