cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As a client, what really makes you hire a freelancer?

Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
31 of 33

@Krisztina U wrote:

@Jean S wrote:

You should try being an employer having to sift through 60-100 applications. You've worked a grand total of 7 jobs. You really don't know or understand this system very well.

Jean, it really has nothing to do with the amount of jobs someone worked on Upwork, but dignity. I would never apply to a job that asks me to put the color of the sky or something equally nonsensical as the 1st, 38th or last word of my application, and I have been here since 2009 with nearly 6000 hours clocked. It's rude, plain and simple.

I understand your hiring pains, I've had them too, but there are other ways to weed out the spammers and test people's attention span. Custom questions are perfect for it. Would you seriously not hire the most qualified person, just because they were too focused on their application and forgot to put whatever code word into the requested word count slot in their application? 

That's my point Kristiana. I ask a questions that is relevant to the job. For a writer I would say something to the effect "Have you ever written any ecological articles. Please let me know. Not a requirement, but it would be nice.

That's it. I'll then continue on with the description of what I want for the article gig. I've hired many here and never had problems like I am now experiencing.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
32 of 33

@Jean S wrote:
For a writer I would say something to the effect "Have you ever written any ecological articles. Please let me know. Not a requirement, but it would be nice.

Keep in mind that your phrasing implies that not addressing your request is equivalent to a "No" answer.  It might be an extra bit of courtesy to given an explicit answer, but to make it sound like (or be) a dealbreaker question does not reflect well on your approach to the hiring process.  I'm all for blaming Upwork for the things they're doing wrong, but your case would be better made if you also acknowledged the shortcomings on your side as well.

Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
33 of 33

@Jean S wrote:

You seem to have a real chip on your shoulder. Lose it. It's very unattractive.

Funny, but it really seems to be you who is bearing too much of a burden based on your latest hiring snafu.  Lashing out at me in frustration won't help, but I'm not about to take it personally.

You should try being an employer having to sift through 60-100 applications. 

You should try to imagine that maybe, just maybe, I've been through plenty of hiring decisions on both sides of the table.  There's something wrong with your hiring process if you're not adequately managing both the quantity and quality of the candidates.  Apart from whatever woes Upwork is causing, you still need to look at what you should be changing internally to fix the problems you're seeing.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS