🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: As an employer, How should I categorize m...
Page options
d_munzer
Community Member

As an employer, How should I categorize my upwork payments for Bookkeeping?

5 REPLIES 5
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Dan, 

Our team is not familiar with these processes. Just the same, I would also recommend that you consult a local accountant for more information on how you can do this properly.

Hopefully, other Community members can chime in on this thread!

~ Avery
Upwork
mtngigi
Community Member

If you hire a freelancer, you are not an employer. Independent freelancers are contractors, not employees. That said, I believe there are other hiring models on Upwork that I'm not familiar with that may fall under a different category.

3bbad481
Community Member

I am wondering how to categorize it too. Also you are required to send a 1099 to contractors. Here it says employers and upwork don't send a 1099:

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211063958-Report-Income-from-Upwork

However my understanding is it is a federal requirement for employers to send the 1099.

re: "However my understanding is it is a federal requirement for employers to send the 1099."

Upwork clients are not employers.

Upwork freelancers are not employees.

35c66eaf
Community Member

So it looks like you received feedback on how your questions was wrong but yet you still just need to know what category tab to hit in your bookkeeping right? That what I was searching for and here is the answer I got, hopefully anyone else looking will benefit from this response. You can categorize this payment as Payment to contractors, even if you did not pay directly your sub-contractors. In fact, Upwork is your sub-contractor.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths