Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asian people pertaining to be engineers from Eastern Europe

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
21 of 29

Uhm, so how does working remotely go if the internet connection cannot sustain even a small video feed? Or are we talking about a 28.8 kbps dial-up connection?

Some files I work with are 700 KB. When I fine-tune some parts I have to upload them and see the result. If my internet connection couldn't upload that in a second, everyone would be unhappy. It would simply take too much time.

And I think this is not some marginal situation.

My question is valid: how can work be done without some sort of a good internet connection? As a freelancer.

---Later edit

Oh, I see. You work as a freelance writer. I was talking from a development standpoint as the majority of this community I think is about.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
22 of 29

Actually I work as an editoralthough Upwork's flawed category system doesn't allow that distinction. Not sure where you get your figures from re the majority on here, but hey - just making a point...

(and of course I mean no disrespect to the people who write the categories - I'm sure they do their best...)

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 29

Gabriel is consistent in that he is a big proponent of video. That's fine. But not everybody's going to be so into video.

I work using faster speed connections than most people here in the forum, faster than the vast majority of people on Upwork.

But I don't have video cameras for any of the computer I use to work. And I don't own a cell phone or smart phone.

If I need to do a video chat with a client, borrow one of my kids' laptops.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
24 of 29

I actually have DSL and cable in case one goes down. My cable company sucks hard and will bring down the connection for maintenance in the middle of the day for hours. So, I have both. It's a great investment for failover.

Highlighted
Community Leader
Gabriel B Member Since: Nov 25, 2014
25 of 29

Yeah, I also have some tiny 2 mbps backup connection. Saved me a few times.

Well, like I said, I don't want to do a crusade pro video-chatting, just that I'm curious why people are camera-shy. I mean, I'm not saying that you have to video chat each morning and for everything that comes along through a working day, but when doing a meeting, like every one/two week(s), everything goes faster like that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
26 of 29

@Gabriel B wrote:

Yeah, I also have some tiny 2 mbps backup connection. Saved me a few times.

Well, like I said, I don't want to do a crusade pro video-chatting, just that I'm curious why people are camera-shy. I mean, I'm not saying that you have to video chat each morning and for everything that comes along through a working day, but when doing a meeting, like every one/two week(s), everything goes faster like that.

Why are people camera-shy? For a ton of different reasons, some of which involve privacy on a level you may, or may not be familiar with. Most certainly, I would not fire up my webcam for just any Tom, Nancy or Harold. Is it faster for meetings? I don't see how, and I have several meetings with my client base each week.

I'm not cameria shy, and have a very nice higher end webcam from Logitech. It's there when I need it it, which is rarely, but it can, with some manipulation, take great profile pictures, which is what I have been using for lately.
Some people like using video, and some don't.  It's like a lot of other things that some people like, or they don't. You can preach to the "don't likers" all day long, but their reasons probably won't change.

Most certainly, if a prospective client who had been burned lately want to confirm my that I am a native been US independant contractor, then sure I'll fire up the webcam for that. On the other hand, if a prospective made it a pre-reqruiste to run the webcam during every meeting, I'd be a little cautious of their intentions.

Lately I have seen some Customer Service jobs that asked for bidders to be webcam ready, to do Skype video customer support with their client base. That in my humble opinion is a bit "out there" but heck, I don't bid on CS jobs anyways.

Highlighted
Vicky P Member Since: Dec 29, 2016
27 of 29

Lately I have around 2-5 applicants to every newly posted project, that identify themselves as Ukrainians, 

who all work at Kyivstar, but when I ask them questions in Ukrainian or Russian, theu use google translate and decline to speak.

This is happenning all the time.

Ut has become so difficult to hire someone, please do something about it.

It has become a serious issue for me

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
28 of 29

Hi Vicky,

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Please flag the profiles you mentioned and our team will take action to ensure all freelancers abide by Upwork ToS and provide truthful information about their identity.

Highlighted
This widget could not be displayed.
29 of 29
This widget could not be displayed.

@Vicky P wrote:

Lately I have around 2-5 applicants to every newly posted project, that identify themselves as Ukrainians, 

who all work at Kyivstar, but when I ask them questions in Ukrainian or Russian, theu use google translate and decline to speak.

This is happenning all the time.

Ut has become so difficult to hire someone, please do something about it.

It has become a serious issue for me

Vicky P, do you pay something to Getty Images for the stock photo you use for your profile?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS