Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for resume

ai83
Community Leader
Alma I Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
1 of 19

Hi everyone,

I noticed that some customers, either new or veterans, ask to receive freelancer resumes and n references upon application. Now, Upwork has built-in freelancer profiles showcasing all relevant information and recommendations. I, for one, have pasted my LinkedIn recommendations on my profile; while I can't send a LinkedIn link to the customers without infringing the ToS, any customer who would like to do a background check can actually google me. Additionally, all previous ratings should be considered references and they are public. Furthermore, who would be willing to act as a reference every time I land a job? (given that it happens many times each month).

So why still ask for this information and what's the point of this platform if people aren't using its features? I'm hoping that the customers in this forum can shed some light on it. 

prestonhunter
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 19

Alma:

Some clients don't familiarize themselves with Upwork and its differences from other forms of hiring.

Some clients post the same jobs, without changing the wording, on many different "job sites", including Upwork.

If you see job postings that ask for these things (such as resumés), you can be fairly certain that this is not a client who is uniquely interested in hiring on Upwork. You still might get a job by applying to such a post. But you also might be wasting your time.

If you do decide to apply to a job that asks for a resumé or other inappropriate, unnecessary things, then my advice is to write the same kind of great, targeted proposal that you usually do. Mention briefly the thing that was asked for that should not have been:
"It looks like your job posting may have asked for a resume? My Upwork profile page serves as my resume and you are welcome to read it. I think you'll find everything you're looking for, including verified work history and my portfolio. If you have any questions, feel free to ask."

View solution in original post

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
3 of 19

I put my "freelancing" resume in the Overview section of my Profile, and this has worked wonders. I often send a really obvious link to my profile.  I have received a lot of compliments from prospective clients regarding my profile, and those clients have not ever asked me for a reference.

I actually like how you have those Linked In references in your profile. That's something I haven't seen before, and it's a neat idea. I have seen other Upwork profiles where the freelancer had posted a "feedback summary" of the reviews in their Upwork job history, which probably works great if you don't have reviews anywhere else.

I agree with Preston. I'd be leary of jobs asking for an actual resume. In my case, interesting jobs asking for a resume are usually posted by much larger companies then I like to work for. I got out of the rat race a long time ago, and don't want to work for those kinds of companies.

Since we can't send links outside Upwork in our cover letters, it makes sense to use our Profiles as our main marketing tool when bidding. I don't think there is anything wrong with telling a client, my resume is here (link) and sending them to your Upwork Profile.

Don't forget, you can also send links to your Portfolio items. I do this sometimes too, especially if the client is new to Upwork, as I have a reference guide there that addresses a lot of common concerns I've heard from new Upwork clients.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
4 of 19

Maybe re-read the TOS. My understanding is that you are allowed to send resumes, email addresses, LinkedIn profiles, etc during an interview. You just can't link to them on your profile. 

cupidmedia
Community Guru
Jennifer D Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
5 of 19

@Samantha S wrote:

Maybe re-read the TOS. My understanding is that you are allowed to send resumes, email addresses, LinkedIn profiles, etc during an interview. You just can't link to them on your profile. 

Pretty sure Samantha is correct. You're allowed to send links/attachments etc in your application/interview. They just can't be publicly available. 

pandoraharper
Community Guru
Pandora H Member Since: May 11, 2010
6 of 19

Unless the rules changed while I was away (which I doubt), you can't sent a client anything that leads the client outside Upwork (to prevent them from contacting you outside Upwork) in your Cover Letter. (unless they ask for your Skype ID).

That includes Facebook and Linked In, which allow for posts, messaging, etc.

While I would LOVE to send my website link in my cover letters, I have a contact form on my website, so that's a no no. Even I did not have that (which would be crazy), the ToS still says no.

Having said this, if your a web developer and a client asks for reference sites that you worked on, thats ok, just so long as there is no way to track YOU down on any of those sites.

However, we can send any of those links if they message us here on Upwork. A prospective client sent me a direct message last night,  and the client actually had a big signature with all sorts of contact info. This was actually awesome because his company website was in his sig, and I prefer to see a clients website before being interviwed, because the questions I prefer to ask during that session depend on what I see on their site. He asked I share my Skype ID so we could hook up and meet, which is common with my prospective clients. He didn't ask for my email address, or anything else that would go against the ToS. And of course, I would NEVER send him direct email unless he hired me.

It's not recommened that you send a prospective client your email address at this stage, both for safety reasons, and to prevent the slight possiblity that they will try to hire you outside of Upwork.

Before I responded to the client, I also looked at his job history, and his company has been here on Upwork for years, and has lots of very good reviews. So I sent my website URL along, beliveing that he would never try to hire me outside Upwork, and thereby risking our accounts.

My clients have often been burned by a previous Project Manager hire, so I do EVERYTHING in my limited power to reassure them I am real, qualified and confident in my abilites.

david_gregory
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
7 of 19

@Pandora H wrote:

Unless the rules changed while I was away (which I doubt), you can't sent a client anything that leads the client outside Upwork (to prevent them from contacting you outside Upwork) in your Cover Letter. (unless they ask for your Skype ID).

Yes, the rules have changed. You can send links to your website etc. in your proposal. You just can't have them on your profile.

daniel-bradley
Community Leader
Daniel B Member Since: May 4, 2016
8 of 19

David G wrote
Yes, the rules have changed. You can send links to your website etc. in your proposal. You just can't have them on your profile.

We can send links to our website?

Generally, I link to a Google Drive folder with some relevant portfolio items in there. I've always been hesitant about linking to anywhere the client could hire me directly for fear of breaching ToS.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
9 of 19
You can send your links in a proposal. Just nothing in your profile.
ai83
Community Leader
Alma I Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
10 of 19

Thank you all - yes, I understand that it can be done. My question was however aimed at finding out why are customers asking for a resume when we already have resumes on Upwork? I'm guessing that, like Preston said, they aren't familiar enough with the platform but I wanted to know for sure.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS