Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asking for resume

gerrys
Community Guru
Gerry S Member Since: Nov 23, 2014
11 of 19

Provide what info you are comfortable with, and nothing else. There are no "rules" per se.

Just be sure to protect all personal and identification info.

Clients are also not your "friends"; treat them like any other "business" relationship.

And you are absolutely correct:

- The last think you want to do is annoy your "references" with the majority of clowns that show up here.

OR, I would expect to see the "references" OF THE CLIENT in this case ... and then MAYBE I might share ONE of mine ... or not.

sam-sly
Community Guru
Samantha S Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
12 of 19

Alma, I am not sure you can know for sure why some clients ask for resumes, references, etc. I think the answer will vary. Some want more detail, some are new to Upwork and don't look at profiles, and some may not trust the integrity of profiles here. 

I have not worked with any who ask for references and I don't think I would comply unless it was a big project for a well established client. I can see why if the freelancer is a VA or someone who will access intimate or financial details for a client. For the work I do, the double-blind reviews from previous clients should be sufficient. That and a small test project should do the trick. 

I have seen freelancers who I think set up scam accounts post in the forum. It is usually pretty obvious if you know what to look for. They usually have limited history, their time zone may not match the country they say, their profile seems like a model (and if you reverse image search it is someone else), etc. Often you can see if you Google the first paragraph of their profile that it is often stolen from another person's LinkedIn account. If a client was burned in the past by a scam profile, they might be more careful in the future. 

I think some of these requests are variations of the same reasons a lot of clients want to talk on the telephone or do video chats. I think as a freelancer, we just have to trust our instincts about whether it is a legitimate request or something else. I would draw the line at references unless there was a good reason since I cannot overwhelm my references with requests from short term clients or risk opening them up to possible scammers.  

I do sometimes do video interviews, send resumes, or send profile links. But only if it feels right and if I am interested in working with the client. 

ahammed_farid
Community Guru
Farid Ahammed B Member Since: May 30, 2016
13 of 19

I have got lots of job in the upwork, who mention about resume, Maybe they did not know about upwork policy,

I applied for few jobs like that, But I mentioned very politely that's against upwork privacy policy to attach resume with cover letter here, So please check my upwork profile you will get all information about my working experience

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 19

@Farid Ahammed B wrote:

I applied for few jobs like that, But I mentioned very politely that's against upwork privacy policy to attach resume with cover letter here,

It isn't.

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
15 of 19

While I agree it should be unnecessary, I don't see an issue.  If the client wants a resume, send them a resume.  This is after all just another form of what basically should be in your profile.  This does not need to include such things as mailing address, phone number, etc.  Heck you can even just put your freelancer profile in PDF form.  It may seem silly but why argue with the client over something innocuous?  Don't give them a reason to reject your candidacy unless they are asking for data you are not comfortable in supplying. 

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
16 of 19

@Scott B wrote:

While I agree it should be unnecessary, I don't see an issue.  If the client wants a resume, send them a resume.

................... if you have one. I don't, and have just tried to remember the last time I had one.

I can't even remember 🙂

browersr
Community Guru
Scott B Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
17 of 19

@Petra R wrote:

@Scott B wrote:

While I agree it should be unnecessary, I don't see an issue.  If the client wants a resume, send them a resume.

................... if you have one. I don't, and have just tried to remember the last time I had one.

I can't even remember 🙂

Yeah, but trivial to put together for these purposes if one wants the job.  One could even copy/paste it from the profile into a PDF and call it their resume.  Personally I've never been asked as a freelancer and I can afford to pick and choose when it comes to clients (as I assume you can) so it's easy to look past those clients that are painful in the upfront pre-hire process.  But for those that are new and trying to build a base/profile or just need anything they can get, it's worth the little effort to keep them in the game. 

davidd1008
Community Leader
David D Member Since: Jun 8, 2016
18 of 19

As a client, I never ask for a resume. I rely solely on the feedback, profile, and portfolio. I'm not interested in going through a complex vetting process. But then again I'm mostly hiring for small graphic design type jobs and don't need an extensive background check for that.

I don't mean to sound arrogant but I think I'm a good freelancer. I think I provide quality work at a fair price and I think my clients have been pretty happy so far. I think if a client is looking for a service that I provide and they come across my profile I should at least look like an attractive candidate.

So I say that not to brag, but to say this to the clients out there: when I see a job listing that asks for an extensive resume, references, job history, etc. I typically pass over it. If a client asks for it, I tell them to look at my profile. It's just not the way we do things on here, in my opinion. And I think, as others have said, many clients simply copy and paste a job listing from one site and paste it to several others so they're not really customizing it for the Upwork freelancer or showing an interest in conforming to the platform.

Our profiles and our portfolios really should be adequate enough. I've often said that one of the worst things Upwork does is call it a "profile" when it really is basically a resume or as close to one as a freelancing website gets I suppose.

I don't mind sending additional samples of my work from time to time or even having a brief phone or skype call. I'm accommodating to a point but I'm typically not interested in getting involved in a lengthy hiring process. I can either do the work or I can't. You either like my samples or you don't. Of course, I'm generally writing articles, blogs, white papers, web copy, etc.. not designing a mobile app or a 5K website.

As far as references are concerned- has there ever been a more useless part of a traditional resume? By that I mean has anyone ever put someone down as a reference that they weren't 99% sure was going to give them a glowing recommendation anyway? 

At least our Upwork feedback has a chance at being a lot more genuine. 

All that being said I'm not opposed to anyone asking or providing a full on resume or references. It just seems redundant to me and not really the point of the platform. 

ai83
Community Leader
Alma I Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
19 of 19

@David D wrote:

Of course, I'm generally writing articles, blogs, white papers, web copy, etc.. not designing a 5K website.

Me too and that's why I'm asking - I've seen some jobs which are somewhat tempting but not tempting enough to worth the hassle. And especially not worth calling three of my references.

@David D wrote:

It just seems redundant to me and not really the point of the platform. 

Exactly

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS