🐈
» Forums » Clients » BEING CHARGED ON CLOSED CONTRACT
Page options
f6b9608b
Community Member

BEING CHARGED ON CLOSED CONTRACT

I have been charged weekly since March 2019 for only 10 hours of work in February. The job/contract is closed and they're still charging weekly for no work!!! Over $900. I've disputed from the freelancer haven't heard anything still charging my cc. how do I cancel a closed contract? I'm disputing with AMEX. This is ridiculous.

3 REPLIES 3
petra_r
Community Member

Mitch P wrote:

I have been charged weekly since March 2019 for only 10 hours of work in February. The job/contract is closed and they're still charging weekly for no work!!! Over $900.

Clearly the contract is not closed... Did you actually end the contract?

BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mitch,

One of our team members will reach out to you directly via support ticket to assist you with your request. 

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

~ Bojan
Upwork
prestonhunter
Community Member

Mitch: The Upwork user interface and information system does not have the ability for freelancers to bill clients on closed accounts. It is a physical impossibility.

You must have an open account.

It is possible that this has absolutely nothing to do with any action taken by the freelancer. You have not provided us with enough information to know for sure.

The CLIENT may set up automatic weekly payments that are paid to freelancers. Freelancers have no control over this. Only clients can set this up or stop it.

It is possible that you have an open contract, and a freelancer is doing work, and billing time using that contract.

It is also possible that the billings are generated by your contract settings. A freelancer could be completely unaware of this, may not even be logging into Upwork, and thus may be unaware that money is being put into her account from your American Express card.

re: "I'm disputing with AMEX."

Hold off on doing that. Filing a dispute with a credit card can cause you to lose your Upwork account permanently, as it is a serious ToS violation. And you might not end up getting any money back. There is already a customer support ticket in place. Let them investigate and get back to you. That is your best chance at figuring out what is going on and setting everything right.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths