🐈
» Forums » Clients » Background checks
Page options
ab252c9f
Community Member

Background checks

I am not entirely sure I am posting to the right group but I am new to upwork. I have hired my first couple of freelances and everything worked out well. Here is the problem, part of the project that I am giving out deals with financial data of third persons, I want to ensure that this information is secure so I have redacted identifing information, however this process is time consuming on my part. 

I would therefore was thinking that a background check may be useful. I actually would perfer not handling the freelance's personal information so is there a service that I can sign up and pay for and direct the free lancer to so they can submit to a background check and then a report is sent to me? 

Any other ideas on how to safeguard this information would be useful. 

5 REPLIES 5
petra_r
Community Member

@Jeffrey G wrote:

I would therefore was thinking that a background check may be useful. I actually would perfer not handling the freelance's personal information so is there a service that I can sign up and pay for and direct the free lancer to so they can submit to a background check and then a report is sent to me? 

Any other ideas on how to safeguard this information would be useful. 

With the freelancer's permission, sure! There are plenty, the one that handled mine (paid for by the client of course) was Hireright

You are absolutely right that you should not ask the freelancer for their personal information, but also understand that a background check is not going to protect you or any 3rd party as they do not predict or certify future behaviour.

Ultimately you remain responsible for whatever happens to data you handle and pass to any freelancer.

That said, the absolute VAST majority of freelancers are here to do your jobs and earn money, and have zero interest in stuff beyond that.

Obviously you would not pass on third party data that could be abused  to some random stranger on the Internet anyway, would you?

ab252c9f
Community Member

I will look into Hireright, and yes I am well aware that even a full background check would not oblivate the risks of hiring anyone really. In the end any employee whether it is someone doing a 9 to 5 at my work location or an independent contractor over the internet runs has its risks when 3rd party data is involved. I am talking about mitigating those risks to what ever extent is possible. 

I wonder how those background checking service actually works and how efficient they are. I understand that they are a thing in the US where there is a lot of information even from law enforcement that is available for a fee, but in other countries?

I'm in France and there is merely nothing significant that you can learn about me other what I posted on the Internet.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

re: "I'm in France and there is merely nothing significant that you can learn about me other what I posted on the Internet."

With as many posts as Rene and many other Forum regulars have written in the Community Forum, there is enough information available to generate an accurate digital recreation of not only them but their pets and homes as well.

r2streu
Community Member

If you're asking your freelancers to handle sensitive information, a Non-Disclosure Agreement is not inappropriate. I've signed several as a freelancer, and most professionals won't mind doing so. 

Latest Articles
Learning Paths