cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bad behaviour from freelancer

Gupta Member Since: Mar 25, 2016
1 of 10
Freelancer constantly behaving bad while writing and telling me what should I do. That's not what I was expecting. Should I end contract?
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 10

Yes, you should end the contract.

There are millions of contractors on Upwork.

If you are not delighted with the contractor you are working with, then you are using Upwork incorrectly.

Hire a variety of people, and close the contracts on all of them except for the ones you like the best.

Community Guru
Tarpinder S Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
3 of 10

Hire a variety of people, and close the contracts on all of them except for the ones you like the best.

And make their feedback negative.

Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
4 of 10

@Tarpinder S wrote:

I don't think you need to go to that extent. If you are cancelling the contract because of bad behaviour, then mention it in the feedback, but you don't need to leave bad feedback simply because the freelancer is not the right fit for your requirements.

Ace Contributor
Alexander K Member Since: Jun 22, 2015
5 of 10

Tarpinder S. said
---

---

... and also make Job Success lower for all of them but the ones you like the best. As a frilancer I hate such sugesstions. Why a frelancers work with you if you propagate this practice?

And then, of cours, you'll set 95% Job success as your requirement in your next job posting. Right?

Gupta Member Since: Mar 25, 2016
6 of 10
Ok, thanks
Community Guru
Scott E Member Since: Jul 26, 2015
7 of 10

Is he asking you what he should do.... or telling you what you should do?

Neither are automatically indicative of bad behaviour, or a bad freelancer. If he's asking you what he should do, then maybe the instructions weren't that clear. Or they were, but he just wants to double check to be on the safe side. If he's telling you what you should do, then what kind of things are we talking about?

Is he telling you to fund escrow, to release a payment that's due, to send over content he needs to complete the work? All of those are valid requests, although I'd hope that he would ask you politely, rather than tell you. I'm just having a bit of trouble imagining a freelancer telling a client what to do, that isn't in some way, for the good of the project. I mean, is he telling you what you should wear, where you should live, what religion you should follow?

You know the situation better than us, so if he is behaving badly then I guess he is behaving badly, but you've not really given us that much to go, so I'm attempting to fill in the blanks. I always like to make sure my 'house is in order' before I go blaming others for problems.

But like you've already been advised, if you're not happy with the freelancer then you're not happy with the freelancer... you're well within your rights to cancel the contract and find another one. I only raise these points to avoid you potentially not being happy with the next freelancer, and the next one, and the next one etc etc. I'd try and salvage the current relationship first. Tell him you're not happy being told what to do. He'll then probably do one of three things. One... he'll stop doing it. Happy days! Two... he won't stop doing it. Get rid! Three... he'll explain why he needs to tell you what to do, and if it's a valid reason.... happy days! If it's not... get rid.   

"Welcome, humans. I'm ready for you!"
- Box, Logan's Run (1976)
Highlighted
Community Guru
Joynul A Member Since: Jun 27, 2015
8 of 10

Hi,

You can hire another freelancer.  Here is many professional freelancer , just end the contract and hire another freelancer . You can hire with a small milestion then check their behave and work quality then you can hire for long project . I think this is the best way to choose right freelancer .

Thanks !

Joynul
Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
9 of 10

Hmm... "bad behaviour" is a term too vague. In order to understand your problem, I'm missing some info here. Is easy for example to see (erroneously) other people as being rude when there are different cultures with different social rules colliding or when people use a non-native tongue.

I will expect a freelancer telling me what should I do in lots of cases; this is not necessarily a problem (A consulting job, for example). The main reason to hire a freelancer is to have an expert that cares of a task for you. It is supossed that he/she is the expert, and know better what steps follow.

So the question is not if freelancer was dispolite with you or not: Was her/him advice smart and effective solving your problem or not?

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
10 of 10

There are countless reasons why a client might not like working with a particular contractor that have nothing to do with bad behavior.

Anything from being in the wrong time zone to having differences in their preferential means of communication (email versus Skype).

I have worked with great clients and great contractors in the past who I probably wouldn't work with again purely because of differences in styles and preferences like that.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS