🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Bad rating from 3 years ago
Page options
sjoondeph
Community Member

Bad rating from 3 years ago

Is there a way to remove or hide a 1 star review that was left almost 3 years ago? I'm the client and it was left by a freelancer.

It's not visible from my Client profile but it's visible when I tried posting a job today and viewed it from my Freelancer account. How come I can't see it from my Client profile?

Is there a way to remove or hide that 1 star review? Do I need to dispute it? Even though I paid the Freelancer upfront, I think they got mad because I didn't close the job. I was very sick at the time and they knew that.

22 REPLIES 22
40b77e4c
Community Member

Have you tried contacting Upwork through support. I think only they can help 

You can check this article for more info. 

Feedback Removal

I have and this was their response:

"We can't remove a feedback unless it violates our Terms of Service, but we have enabled the option to allow feedback changes by your freelancer for 14 days. Please contact your freelancer and kindly ask her to change the 1 star feedback within 14 days."

So they want me to contact the Freelancer from a project 3 years ago and ask them about changing the feedback they gave and they gave 14 days to allow it? That seems a bit odd..

Stephanie J wrote:

So they want me to contact the Freelancer from a project 3 years ago and ask them about changing the feedback they gave and they gave 14 days to allow it? That seems a bit odd..

It seems especially odd since harassing the other party to change feedback is generally considered (per prior posts from Upwork staff) to be feedback manipulation and a TOS violation.

joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry for the confusion. As what Vivek pointed out, Clients can't remove feedbacks. As a Top Rated freelancer or agency, one can request to remove feedback from their Job Success Score (JSS) for one ended contract at a time.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

Jo-An B wrote:

Hi Stephanie,

To learn more information about how to utilize this Top Rated perk and the affects on your JSS, please check out this help article and feel free to follow up with any additional questions.

Unless I am reading it incorrectly,She is talking about feedback she received as a client from a freelancer she hired.

2591126f
Community Member

No,

As far as I know, Clients have no way to remove a feedback.  Freelancers can remove it by returning money or by using the TR-Perk, but clients do not have any way to unilaterlally  change a feedback once given. 

I tried looking at my old contracts, but cannot see  'respond to this feedback  button' on them, while it available of recent contracts. So I think  this is by design. The option to repond is available only for sometime. Similarly, even if the Freelancer was ready to do it, the link ' Enable change of feedback' would have expired long ago.

So there is nothing that you can do about it.

Also, I would never pay upfront (upfront as in releasing the money from escrow before the work is submitted to me or payment  via bonus before work is  done), unless there is a reason for me to do it like freelancer needs to buy something even before starting work (and I cannot buy that and send it to them)

I would personally not feel  bothered by that feedback.

If a freelancer does not like to work with me because I had a bad review from one freelancer, I would be happy not to work with them and find another person to work.

prestonhunter
Community Member

Stephanie:

The good news for you is this:

This is not going to hurt you.

You can post jobs, and you can get proposals from freelancers.

Freelancers are going to reply to your job postings based on the description of the job. Some freelancers will look at your overall hiring statistics. Most will not.

A few freelancers will look at your hiring history. They will see what kind of client you are overall. Very few will ever even see that feedback from 3 years ago.

Thank you but the problem is that if I post a job, it's coming from a client with a 1/5 star review and that looks really really bad in the job feed. 

As a Freelancer, I definitely consider the Client's history but I've never seen a job posted as a 1/5 stars, 3/5 has been the worst. 

What should I do?

Stephanie,

Was this the only Job you ever hired on Upwork? Then it will obviously show as 1/5 which is average of  all one contract.

You already know there is nothing that can be done about it. I am not sure  about the the 'enable Freelancer to change feedback' link being even active after 3 years- Nevertheless you already know that option is futile in your case.

Since You can do nothing about it at this stage, why not just post a Job and see if it gets some good applications or if someone you invite from upwork freelancers pool is ready to accept your Job.

I am sure you will find many.

Some Good Feedback on Jobs would change the average ratings to better.

NOTE: It seems I missed the point that the change feedback link has been activated by the upwork from their side (normally clients do not see this at their end on  old  contracts  ).  

In that case, it will be possible to change the feedback only if the freelancer does it. You can try to contact if you want, although I would personally not go fetching for the freelancer . I would rather Post a Job and move ahead.(Just Personal Choice)

Yes, this is the only job I've ever hired for on Upwork and the review is just a 1/5 star with nothing else said.

Upwork offered to contact the Freelancer on my behalf, which sounds like a better option that me contacting them myself but I'm not sure.. like yourself, it's not my style to go fetching for the freelancer

ea088ce1
Community Member

Hello, Stephanie:

As an Employer (Client)... I have experienced several instances when a Freelancer has written a off-the-wall, misrepresentative Client Feedback... I inquired promptly (within a few days) with Upwork Support and provided well-documented evidence of what actually happened (Upwork messages, uploads, SCOPE, etc.)... and fortunately got the record strait with Upwork Support's assistance.

My best recommendation is... make the effort to draft clear, articulate, well-defined SCOPES. Most Freelancers do not provide respectful reviews of SCOPES before applying... but some DO.

My experience has demonstrated that the more discerning Freelancers who are looking for solid or more interesting Jobs will recognize a well-written SCOPE... and be moved to apply for the Job.

Several new positive reviews can surely render meaningless any negative old one. 

Below are several snippits I use when posting my Jobs that may prove helpful to you.
I use them because a high percentage of Freelancer offers demonstrate they have not read the SCOPE and therefore are clueless about the Project.

.....................................................................................

FREELANCER VETTING STATUS:
- FYI:  From an Employer's perspective, the Freelancer vetting process is: time-consuming, laborious, and problematical.
- FYI:  Freelancer job platform profiles are typically limited to skimpy, inadequate info.
- FYI:  We seek skilled workmanship for open-ended project relationship.

.....................................................................................

**IMPORTANT**
- FYI:  As an Employer... we look for the few **intelligent, professional responses** to SCOPE... NOT a generic... "I can do it".
- FYI:  As an Employer... **intelligent, professional responses** stand out... they show respect and regard to an Employer... and are easy to spot.
- FYI:  As an Employer... this Job Post is is not a stand-alone offer... but rather a TEST TRIAL for a potential ongoing project relationship.

I hope this proves helpful.

Positively,

~ Alan

Hi Stephanie, 

I would stop worrying about the bad feedback: I doubt that many freelancers take the time to look at the client's rating. I only rarely do, and I try to understand whether it's important or not. Or if a freelancer does take the time to notice your bad rating, they are able to see that something went wrong once only, which is not that bad. 

How about inviting freelancers? Chances are they will accept the interview without first looking at your rating.

Alan B wrote:

FREELANCER VETTING STATUS:
- FYI:  From an Employer's perspective, the Freelancer vetting process is: time-consuming, laborious, and problematical.
- FYI:  Freelancer job platform profiles are typically limited to skimpy, inadequate info.
- FYI:  We seek skilled workmanship for open-ended project relationship.

**IMPORTANT**
- FYI:  As an Employer... we look for the few **intelligent, professional responses** to SCOPE... NOT a generic... "I can do it".
- FYI:  As an Employer... **intelligent, professional responses** stand out... they show respect and regard to an Employer... and are easy to spot.
- FYI:  As an Employer... this Job Post is is not a stand-alone offer... but rather a TEST TRIAL for a potential ongoing project relationship.

~ Alan

Alan, I probably never saw any of your job posts because I would remember that. If you have time, check out some public boards and even this community about what freelancers consider indications of a problem client. Some of them are:

Clients being confrontational and negative on their job offers.

Clients using the word "employer" to define themselves (really)

Clients making predictions about a bad outcome on their job offers.

Clients not expecting the applicants to be serious, intelligent or capable

Clients offering more jobs "after" this.

Writing your professional expectations, like the full scope of the job with attachments (if they will help) would be enough to show how serious you are as a client. Then you can eliminate the bad candidates and start working with a good one.

Baris A wrote:

Alan, I probably never saw any of your job posts because I would remember that. If you have time, check out some public boards and even this community about what freelancers consider indications of a problem client. Some of them are:

Writing your professional expectations, like the full scope of the job with attachments (if they will help) would be enough to show how serious you are as a client. Then you can eliminate the bad candidates and start working with a good one.

Hello, Baris:

AB:  This is a social skill that everyone need to develop... starting with children in school.

AB:  Client or Employer... either designation is correct. I refer to myself as "Employer"... my Job Post... my SCOPE Requirements & Instructions... I pay my Freelancers promptly upon "Approval" of Project completion at my Employer's discretion.

AB:  This leaves much to desire... and certainly can impose negative impact of a working relationship and Job results.

AB:  My SCOPES include the following because a high percentage of Freelancers do not operate at "high-level competence" levels. From my fairly extensive experience... a high percentage of Freelancers are rank amateurs... they do not or are are unable to perform as represented... many of whom exhibit lazy habits and poor discipline... seeking "low hanging fruit" so they can receive maximum pay for minimum effort. Not positive... substantively sub-professional in their habits... attitudes... performance... and deliverence. The good news is... with much effort... I have been able to find some real gems with whom we have managed an ongoing working relationship.

AB:  My SCOPES include the following:

- FYI: As an Employer... this Job Post is is not a stand-alone offer... but rather a TEST TRIAL for a potential ongoing project relationship... based on PERFORMANCE.

From an Employer's perspective... the Freelancer VETTING PROCESS is PAINFUL: 
time-consuming, laborious, and problematical.

I hope this proves helpful.

~ Alan

Dear Alan, thank you for your reply. From my point of view and depending solely on my own freelancing experience of 10 years I can say that among experienced and professional freelancers only those who are really really desperate to "score" a job (to improve their JSS or some other reason) would apply to a job offer that has a wording like your snippets. However you can find $3-5/hour beginners, who are also desperate because they need some history under their belts and who don't have the experience to see how a job offer with a wording like that "might" end. If it works for you, then it works for you; I can't say anything about that but I'm pretty sure you are not getting any applications from professional freelancers who know their left from right.

Baris A wrote:

Dear Alan, thank you for your reply. From my point of view and depending solely on my own freelancing experience of 10 years I can say that among experienced and professional freelancers only those who are really really desperate to "score" a job (to improve their JSS or some other reason) would apply to a job offer that has a wording like your snippets. However you can find $3-5/hour beginners, who are also desperate because they need some history under their belts and who don't have the experience to see how a job offer with a wording like that "might" end. If it works for you, then it works for you; I can't say anything about that but I'm pretty sure you are not getting any applications from professional freelancers who know their left from right.

Hello, Baris:

I'm pretty sure you are not getting any applications from professional freelancers who know their left from right.

AB:  Respectfully... this is quite an incorrect assumption.

Let me repeat:
The good news is... with much effort... I have been able to find some real gems with whom we have managed an ongoing working relationship.

Positively,

~ Alan

Hello, Baris:

Your posts arroused my curiosity about you... so I reviewed your Upwork profile and discovered some very complimentary, substantive Client REVIEWS about you:

• Suggest better design and color scheme for one page summaru
    5-STARS - Dec 2018
    I chose Baris because he read my post carefully and sketched out a rough design idea so that I had an idea about his ideas for the project. Almost all others had a generic response with a link to a generic portfolios.

• Place Product Clipping in Architectural Stockphoto
    5-STARS - Jun 2018 - Dec 2018
    Baris cannot be recommended highly enough. What others say they can do, he really can. And although he's a bit higher in his hourly rate, he is so crazy efficient in his work, that in the end, I got the same results from him for _less_ total money, than from other freelancers.

It would appear that you are a seasoned professional-level Freelancer who strives with diligence to bring excellence to the table.

Good for you and happy to see as an Employer.

Positively,

~ Alan

Thank you Alan, that's very kind of you.

petra_r
Community Member

I have to agree with Baris.

Any client who refers themselves as an employer is a red flag for me. Instant decline / move on.

The relationship between a client and a freelancer is a world apart from that between an employer and an employee. "Both are correct" is wrong. 

I CHOSE to have a client - freelancer relationship with the people I work with (**with** - not *for*) and I don't work with people who think they are my employer.

Because unless they employ me with all the benefits that come with "employment", they are not my employer.

Numerous kudos to Baris and Petra within this thread!  Frankly, Alan B. throughout your posts I found myself thinking "who died and left him boss" or "who does he think he is" or similar.  

Baris and Petra are both successful and respected Freelancers.  Best of luck to you, Alan B. on the Client (not Employer-Client) end.  

Alan B wrote:

AB:  My SCOPES include the following because a high percentage of Freelancers do not operate at "high-level competence" levels.

In the $3-$4 per hour pool, sure.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:
In the $3-$4 per hour pool, sure.

Rene:

Another vacuous and accusative opinion presented as fact... blind assumption.

You write with experiencial certainty regarding a $3-$4 per hour Freelancer pool.

I have neither experience nor exposure to such.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths