🐈
» Forums » Clients » Bank account deducted but freelancer not paid
Page options
f9356e34
Community Member

Bank account deducted but freelancer not paid

Hi there,

I have an issue I hope can be resolved quickly and efficiently. I've hired a freelancer to do some work this past month, starting Nov. 2, 2020, to finish out this week, Dec. 2, 2020. I'm paying her per week. She's great, no issues there, unfortunately, she didn't receive payment for Nov. 24, 2020, yet, Upwork has deducted my bank account the payment amount. In Upwork, it shows the milestone has not been completed. It has. I may have done something wrong inadvertently, but I'm not sure what.

Per my bank account and Upwork's notification, I paid her on Nov. 2, 2020, Nov. 16, 2020, and Nov. 24, 2020. She didn't receive the Nov. 24th payment. She's currently due another payment. She and I are trying to figure this out, but I think it's best I ask here. For the record, we're fine with each other. We're just not sure what to do.

I hope this makes sense. I appreciate your time and consideration of this matter.

Best,

Elda

5 REPLIES 5
JoanneP

Hi Elda,

I checked your account, and it looks like the freelancer has already submitted the completed work for the milestone that was noted to be due last November 24; however, you haven't approved the release of the payment yet. It is still showing as "Review and Pay". You have 14 days from the most recent submission on a milestone to review and approve or request changes. Approval releases the payment from escrow to your freelancer. For more information, please check this help article

~ Joanne
Upwork
f9356e34
Community Member

I appreciate the prompt reply.

So, I'm understanding that if I release the payment, my bank account won't
be deducted again because the money is in escrow. Is that correct? My
concern is that monies will be debited from my account twice.

Elda: you understand correctly.

That is what escrow is.

Your card was charged. The money is in an escrow account. When you release it to the freelancer, the money goes from the escrow account to the freelancer.

You won't be charged twice.

Great. It took me a minute to understand this since I haven't had the
problem before.

Thanks, again!
AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, that is correct, Elda.

Escrow protects your deposit until you approve the release of the money in escrow to the freelancer. You can read more about it here. This help article is also really great at explaining transactions on fixed-price contracts. 

If you have other questions, please don't hesitate to reach out here. 

~ Avery
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths