cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being approached by contractors outside of Upwork

Nick B Member Since: Sep 16, 2019
1 of 21

Hi,

I frequently post jobs on UpWork and most of the time it works out really well. The other week I posted a job related to development and I was being approached outside of UpWork by people who figured out my phone number, LinkedIn or email. These guys were all from India. Some even contacted my client who I made the design for. 

I was absolutely infuriated by this and embarrassed that I had to answer this to my client. 

I removed everything related to my client and my contact details from UpWork, and added that I would not tolerate this approach and block/report anyone who violated this. 

But can I block/report someone like this? How do I prevent this? 

Thanks in advance. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 21

Nick B wrote:

How do I prevent this? 

Set your job to "Upwork users only" and do not include any identifying details in your job post at all.

3 of 21

Hi Petra, thank you but that is exactly what I did.

Community Guru
4 of 21

Nick B wrote:

Hi Petra, thank you but that is exactly what I did.

Then how did they identify you and your client?

Upwork do not show any identifying details to those looking at your job post.

5 of 21

There was a contact page with my client's contacts included in the design, last time I ever do that again. 

I assume they figured out my number by Googling my company name and find my LinkedIn. Seems a bit much to remove my email/phone number from my LinkedIn profile just so contractors from UpWork can't find me anymore. Smiley Frustrated

Community Guru
6 of 21

Nick B wrote:

I assume they figured out my number by Googling my company name and find my LinkedIn. Seems a bit much to remove my email/phone number from my LinkedIn profile just so contractors from UpWork can't find me anymore. Smiley Frustrated

Your company name is not shown to applicants until you actually talk to them during the interview stage.

Nick B wrote:

There was a contact page with my client's contacts included in the design, last time I ever do that again. 

yup Smiley Happy - it's a sea full of sharks out there.

7 of 21

That makes it even more weird - how the hell do they figure out my contact details? Thanks for responding btw. 

Community Guru
Mark F Member Since: Jul 10, 2018
8 of 21

Nick B wrote:

That makes it even more weird - how the hell do they figure out my contact details? Thanks for responding btw. 

Strong Google-fu and desperation.

Community Leader
Valerio S Member Since: Oct 13, 2017
9 of 21

Nick B wrote:

Sometimes the only thing you need is your company being named in a review, even just your name plus your location.

That's what I do when I research a client before submitting a proposal, it works in 40% of the cases.

Community Guru
Virginia F Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
10 of 21

Nick B wrote:

Nick,

You can also be found by using your photo on Google's "reverse image search".  If you use the same photo on LinkedIn, etc, that's another way in.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS