cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Candidate?

Aaron S Member Since: Jun 10, 2016
17 of 32

Why does Upwork say the best candidate for my job is someone with 0 hours worked and 0 jobs completed?

Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
17 of 32

Because the algorithm knows best.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 32

Aaron,

Many of us who have been around for some time and have participated in discussions on this topic regard Upwork's "recommended candidates" feature as a placeholder for efforts they are currently working on and hope to make effective in the future. It's results currently should not be considered "relevant" or "accurate."

Aaron S Member Since: Jun 10, 2016
17 of 32

Well, this is good to know. I guess I should be doing a lot more due diligence than I expected. Thank you for your response.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
17 of 32

Aaron,

It is important to understand that Upwork does not vet contractors. Many Upwork contractors are excellent. But many of them are mediocre at best. And many of them are outright scammers who will not do any work on your behalf but till attempt to trick you into paying them a lot of money.

There is useful information in contractors' profiles.

But the only way to know who is the best candidate for a job is to hire multiple contractors, review their work, and decide who did the best work on your behalf.

If you post a job, get 20 candidates, see that 15 proposals are worthless and the candidates are obviously unqualified, but interview 5 of them who appear to be strong prospects, and select 1 of them... How do you know one of the other 5 candidates would not have been better?

There is no way for you to know that.

So you have two choices, both of which are valid choices depending on your budget and the needs of your project:

1) Hire the candidate you think is best, with an understanding that this candidate MAY OR MAY NOT be the best and may cost you more for lower-quality work than the other 4 candidates, but that's okay.

2) Hire all 5 candidates for a short period of time, review their work, and pick the best one to continue working with you on a long-term basis.

REMEMBER: There is NO WAY TO KNOW how a contractor will work out for you and your project until you hire her.

Community Guru
Ravindra B Member Since: Sep 27, 2015
17 of 32

@Preston

"Many Upwork contractors are excellent. But many of them are mediocre at best. And many of them are outright scammers [emphasis added] who will not do any work on your behalf but till attempt to trick you into paying them a lot of money."

Do you have any reliable stats on this?

"Certa bonum certamen"
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
17 of 32

Hi Aaron,

Let me share your concern with the team and they will look at it.

Thank you for your feedback.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
18 of 32

hi valeria

Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
19 of 32

Why would they remove it.  It is rotated.  Yeah some that are clearly not qualified will get in the mix.  Plus when clients post projects they can get up to 100 proposals or in some instances more.  If they sent a client an email every time someone posted a proposal they clients would run for the hills having their email box full of all those emails.  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
Community Guru
Rahul V Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
20 of 32

answer is simple dont recommend anyone and report that candidate to client's email...let client decide who is the best and who is not...give him/her a free hand rather than recommending proposals

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS