Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Candidate?

Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
21 of 32

@Katrina B wrote:

Why would they remove it.  It is rotated.  

- It doesn't show the best freelancers, but random.

- Because it's unfair. If I pay for connects at least I should have equal chances and get equally shown.

- System has glitches and it sometimes doesn't list other candidates, with delay or without delay.

- If it's rotated as regular search results, than it's not well rotated.

- Clients mostly don't get over 100 proposals. Average range is 10-20.

Anyway, it's just reverse of earlier feature "best match" job. Just, now less freelancers are aware of this existing, so they can't complain, and clients don't mind if they don't bother searching through other proposals, but accept the first few they see.

22 of 32

Upwork uses some mysterious formula to come up with the "best candidates" to recommend. I often get jobs that are not related to my expertise at all so it makes sense that Clients are getting the same unrelated recommendations of freelancers.

I suggest you do a search for provders on your own using the keywords that pertain to your project.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
23 of 32

Here's something to think about:

What if there is a popular job skill category that clients search for...

And what if there legitimately are 20 contractors who are the best in that field...

So they all get invited to do jobs fairly quickly...

Just how many jobs can they do?

They can't handle all the jobs that clients need done.

So that's one reason why the rotation makes sense... although I get it that people find it confusing.

What if I'm the very best contractor in a narrow field? I'm just one person. If I get invited to do a job, and that job keeps me very busy, it doesn't matter how good I am at doing the job... Maybe that one job is all I can handle right now. Or maybe three jobs. But not every single job that every single client might invite me to if my name was always provided to clients doing that search.

Community Guru
24 of 32

@Preston H wrote:

Here's something to think about:

The thing is they don't show the best but random. 

I would not rely on this because here are thousands of freelancers who flow through these job postings daily. It's not 20 people who get their work load, and done, there's no one else to apply.

Third, knowing Upwork, and how they:

- failed in matching the best job matches,

- how their search results can get awful and bizarre,

- how their recommendations of all sorts (whether job or freelancer) can have no sense,

- spam and irrelevant invitations (which indicates they show my profile in wrong categories),

- how many glitches they had in past year or so, etc. etc.

I doubt this rotation thing works as they imagine it should.

I understand what you are trying to say. 

Just, I don't think waiting for other freelancers to become overloaded will help me.

25 of 32

Preston gave this hypothetical example,

• What if there is a popular job skill category that clients search for...
  • And what if there legitimately are 20 contractors who are the best in that field...
  • So they all get invited to do jobs fairly quickly... 

• Just how many jobs can they do?

If it's actually a popular job skill category, it would be surprising to me that only 20 would qualify as being the best, but so be it. If availability is the problem random sorting is supposed to solve, there's a simple solution: provide a profile setting visible only to Upwork, not clients, that indicates a freelancer is not open to invitations, and exclude those who do not wish to be invited, rather than randomly ordering and hoping that works better than ordering by criteria a client would use, like job success and hours worked.

26 of 32

Vesna, John:

Excellent points!

I think most of us would agree that the recommended contractors thing is very confusing.

I think there are some good motives behind it. Upwork is trying to make thing easier for clients.

I actually think the recommendations show some good, appropriate contractors sometimes. When hiring, I NEVER use it, but obviously many clients do use it.

It's definitely a work in progress. To be fair, I think it is a difficult challenge to try to algorithmically pick a handful of contractors, out of the millions who are on Upwork, to recommend to clients based on a job posting.

Even if you had all the best programming in the world and everything worked exactly Upwork wanted it to, it would be a difficult task to decide exactly what you want the algorithm to do.

Do you want to rank all contractors and only show the best? Or do you want to rotate who you show, so that more good contractors have an opportunity to be highlighted, even though that mean you're not showing the precise top group as ranked algorithmically?

If you have an algorithm that ranks the top 20 in this field, can you be certain that these are REALLY the top 20? Or is it possible that the top 200 may actually be similarly qualified, and their precise ranking has more to do with your ranking algorithm than the actual quality of the contractors?

Community Guru
27 of 32

@Preston H wrote:

It's definitely a work in progress. To be fair, I think it is a difficult challenge to try to algorithmically pick a handful of contractors, out of the millions who are on Upwork, to recommend to clients based on a job posting.

Even if you had all the best programming in the world and everything worked exactly Upwork wanted it to, it would be a difficult task to decide exactly what you want the algorithm to do.

Do you want to rank all contractors and only show the best? Or do you want to rotate who you show, so that more good contractors have an opportunity to be highlighted, even though that mean you're not showing the precise top group as ranked algorithmically?

It selects among those who apply. Not all who are registered here.

Why not let that clients choose. Like someone mentioned in a topic bellow - at Elance they had filters. So, if they wanted to choose per country, or per exprrience, etc. they could use filter they wanted. 

28 of 32

@John K wrote:

those who do not wish to be invited, ...

That's a minority.

If clients receive too much proposals, why don't Upwork offer them quota, which they set in advance, of how many proposals they want to receive. That would spare us freelancers from futile bidding. If I paid for connects at least I want to be shown as anybody else. It's not fair business to collect money from people and not giving them full service/product.

29 of 32

re: "If I paid for connects at least I want to be shown as anybody else. It's not fair business to collect money from people and not giving them full service/product."

Connects don't have anything to do with whether or not you will be shown as a recommeded contractor. No relationship between these things is even implied. Connects simply let you submit proposals to clients who post jobs.

Also: Don't pay for connects.

Community Guru
30 of 32

@Preston H wrote:

re: "If I paid for connects at least I want to be shown as anybody else. It's not fair business to collect money from people and not giving them full service/product."

Connects don't have anything to do with whether or not you will be shown as a recommeded contractor. No relationship between these things is even implied. Connects simply let you submit proposals to clients who post jobs.

Also: Don't pay for connects.

I'm not asking to be recommended. I'm asking to be shown, as before, when all who applied would list as job applicants, and not as now - few recommended, and others under "show more" button. What is purpose of submitting proposal if client won't see me?

I pay for connects when I need a job. It's not that I'm happy about it but 70 connects are not near enough since I don't get almost any response.