f4fd7c40

Beware: Upwork Reviews are not accurate

I was just ripped off by an Upwork freelancer because of bogus reviews. I didn't know the reviews were rigged until it was all over.

I was charged and billed $900 for a one page WordPress website that never worked. The freelancer refused to do what was asked in the job description and the page wouldn't load properly. They took the body copy and created jpgs of the text. Really amateurish.

I ended the job with **edited for Community Guidelines**  in India and left an accurate review.

But it never got posted because I learned that freelancers can control what reviews are seen publically. All they have to do is not review the employer and the negative review is never seen. Only positive reviews display.

This is a wide open door for scammers. Everything at Upwork is geared towards the freelancer and not the people with the money (the employer).

I use Upwork, but the reviews can not be trusted. There is no transparency.

23 REPLIES 23

Reviews are always posted - unless the project is cancelled and refunded in full. As long as you made some payment on the project, the review will become available. I believe that the freelancer has 14 days to provide a review as well. After that, your review will be publically available. Sooner visible if the freelancer provides the review until the 14-day limit.

Claudia S, Strongly agree with you. I think that there is no more favourable platform than upwork regarding work.

What you are saying is not accurate. They are not always posted and I just received an email from support telling me that.

I ended the job and the freelancer was paid in full because i made the error of going hourly. I been hiring people off Elance ofr 5 years and never did an hourly. Won't do that again.

After posting my review I went to the freelancer's decription. It says "No review provided" for my job. When I go to my job (which only i see) I can see my review very clearly.

So, reviews are not always posted per Upwork support.

shahzad7783

Reviews are always shown in contractor upwork profile. Also when your contractor has not provided to you the required work done. why you have approved the payment.

I have worked on a project more than 1268 hour but at the end, I have replied to my client at upwork during login time and he has ended the contract due to this mistake and left one star Even the work assignment was weekly checked by client, his manager.

So, I will must suggest to you that when you pay to your contractor very well, then check the work assignment weekly upon preference basis so that you can check that how much you are paying and what things you are getting for that worth.

Thank You.

Muhammad

Well, Muhammad you are an ethical person who does his job the right way. That doesn't mean everyone else does.

I cancelled a contract because the freelancer refused to do the work or fix it  I made the mistake of going hourly so he was paid from the begining.. I'll never do that for a freelancer again. That's why they didn't care that my one page site didn't work.

When I cancelled the job for poor performance I was given the chance to write a review. I wrote a review.

When you go to the the freelancer's site it says "No review provided" for my job. That's untrue. There was review. There is no excusing this decptiveness.

Any logged hours are billed to client at the end of a week. So you had a week to review the works of a week.
So how did they bill $900 from hourly job unless you approved the hours at the end of the week?

kathykonkle

I'm unable to see a clients feedback review until I leave feedback for them so i don't know how you think a freelancer can avoid a bad client review. Bottom line is you get what you pay for. If you had selected a more experienced candidate with a higher fee you probably would not have had a problem. 

I paid $900 for a one page WordPress website that doesn't load. I think the freelancer was properly compensated.

According to the freelancer's reviews and his company's reviews he was 4&5 star. So, based on Upwork, they had the experience.

The freelancer doesn't have to see the review. They already knew there was no possibilty is was going to be positive. They have the control which is unfair.

On the freelancer's description it says "No review provided". That's untrue. There was a review provided. But if you are unsuspecting employer, you get duped becasue you aren't given the true picture of their reviews.

I think you can dispute the pay to the freelancer if you are unhappy with the work. Thats why funds are not immediatly released. if it's not too late open a support ticket and get your money refunded.

fell for the guy that charges cheap but then bills 90 hours a week for the job?

On the freelancer's description it says "No review provided". That's untrue. There was a review provided. But if you are unsuspecting employer, you get duped becasue you aren't given the true picture of their reviews.

This is where you are confused. Your review will not show up until the Freelancer reviews you. This way, their review on you will not be based on your review on them because they can't see it. Once the freelancer reviews you, it will show up on their profile - BUT - if 14 days go by, and the freelancer does NOT review you, your review will THEN show up on their profile and your profile will say "no feedback given" from that freelancer. Now that they can see your review, they cannot review you. But they do have 14 days and in that time, it will not show up until the freelancer reviews you or the 14 days are up - whichever comes first. 

How many days have passed since you closed the project and left feedback? Your feedback will not appear publicly until the deadline for leaving feedback expires (e.g. 14 days) or until the freelancer actually gives feedback during these 14 days.

The idea behind this is that the parties will not be influenced when reviewing by the feedback left by the other party. So, for me as a freelancer - when my client closes a project and leaves feedback, I am notified that the project has been closed and that I can leave feedback for the client. The system clearly says that I am not able to see the client's review until I post a feedback for the project. If I do not post a feedback during 14 days, my right to post one expires and the feedback from the client should be visible on my profile. I am not sure what's the reasoning behind support's response to say otherwise.
mbroznovat

John, here are my thoughts on what others have posted. Take them or not, they're free.

"I was just ripped off by an Upwork freelancer because of bogus reviews. I didn't know the reviews were rigged until it was all over."

Have you researched the reviews and do you have PROOF that the reviews were given by people associated with the firm (i.e. paid by the firm) ? If so, then you have a good chance of getting the last payment(s) reverted and you should provide the proof asap to the CS team.

If you just ASSUME that the reviews were bogus, based on your hot-headed thinking at the moment, then read on.

"I was charged and billed $900 for a one page WordPress website that never worked."

oDesk does not guarantee quality of deliverables. You should know that, at least for future use.

"The freelancer refused to do what was asked in the job description"

what do you mean "refused"? expand on this, if you can. There might be something you can do if you prove that you were the victim of a (reverse) bait and switch.

Also, send screenshots of skype messages, or links to the conversation with the contractor where he refuses to do what you ask him.

"and the page wouldn't load properly. They took the body copy and created jpgs of the text. Really amateurish."

this falls under the "oDesk cannot guarantee quality of deliverables". live and learn, and make sure to check the quality of work weekly or daily. Or get a Project Manager :).

"I ended the job with **Edited for Community Guidelines** in India and left an accurate review."

good, very good. this will serve his future clients.

"But it never got posted because I learned that freelancers can control what reviews are seen publically. "

I has not been posted YET (note the emphasis) because the freelancer has not provided his feedback. Feedback(s) for an ended contract are visible when either one of the 2 conditions apply:

- when both parties have left feedback

-OR when 14 days have passed since the contract was ended.

Since neither of these are fulfilled, your feedback is not publicly visible yet. Have patience, my young padawan 🙂

"All they have to do is not review the employer and the negative review is never seen. Only positive reviews display."

that's just not true. wrong info across the board for the above. see my previous reply for a detailed explanation

"Everything at Upwork is geared towards the freelancer and not the people with the money (the employer)."

Some contractors may think that everything at Upwork is geared towards the clients and not towards the people doing the work. I say that the truth is inbetween: fixed-price jobs are geared towards the client (and it is highly suggested to use fixed-price contracts when you want to pay for deliverables); hourly contracts are geared towards the contractors (where there is no deliverable per se, just work done constantly like Customer Support for example)

"I use Upwork, but the reviews can not be trusted. There is no transparency."

Most reviews can be trusted, it's just that some reviews, it is true, can not or should not be trusted. Usually the feedbacks for $5-jobs posted by "friends", but that's a whole different thing.

=======================

and about the rest of the comments in this post:

about yours 

"

What you are saying is not accurate. They are not always posted and I just received an email from support telling me that.

I ended the job and the freelancer was paid in full because i made the error of going hourly. I been hiring people off Elance ofr 5 years and never did an hourly. Won't do that again.

After posting my review I went to the freelancer's decription. It says "No review provided" for my job. When I go to my job (which only i see) I can see my review very clearly.

So, reviews are not always posted per Upwork support.

"

What you have here is just wrong info. Reviews are posted when either both parties leave feedback, or when 14-days pass since the contract was ended and any feedback that was left becomes visible. Once given, the feedback cannot be modified without the other party letting you do this (there's a button they can click on the contract page), or if oDesk gets involved due to the feedback REVIEW (not the stars, just the comments) being against the TOS (due to insults, etc)

=================================

"I cancelled a contract because the freelancer refused to do the work or fix it  I made the mistake of going hourly so he was paid from the begining.. I'll never do that for a freelancer again. That's why they didn't care that my one page site didn't work."

live and learn. use fixed-price contracts from now on, where deliverables matter. you can choose to not pay the contractor, if you don't like the work done. true, you also risk losing the client account if oDesk thinks you're a scammer getting free work, but at least you have some way of making things work with paying only for deliverables

"When I cancelled the job for poor performance I was given the chance to write a review. I wrote a review.

When you go to the the freelancer's site it says "No review provided" for my job. That's untrue. There was review. There is no excusing this decptiveness.

"

the review will be visible at the most after 14 days. have patience.

=================================

"

I paid $900 for a one page WordPress website that doesn't load. I think the freelancer was properly compensated.

"

wow, really? $900 for a one page website? you can get outside webdesign businesses to do a one page website for like $300-$400.... you would have been ripped even if you were provided with the website...

"According to the freelancer's reviews and his company's reviews he was 4&5 star. "

you didn't do your due diligence. if you see anything than 5star review, dig further. always dig further and read the comments attached. if you have questions, ask the contractor. if the contractor does not reply (satisfactorily) within 12-24 business hours, move on.

"So, based on Upwork, they had the experience."

wrong, based on OTHER CLIENTS ON Upwork, they had the experience. notice the difference, Upwork does not post comments for contracts, clients or contractors post them.

==============================

@Jen - play nice, he's hurting 🙂

==============================

suggestions for the future:

**edited for Community Guidelines**

- don't use hourlies for projects that are deliverables-focused

- test your contractors, even if they have reviews, even if they have a portfolio, test your contractors. and pay them during that 1-hour, 5-hours, 1-day test. which should be a fixed-price test.

- manage your contractors. let me repeat this: YOU are the only one responsible for managing your contractors. It's YOUR fault at the end of the day if the contractor, especially on hourly jobs, does not or did not perform the way you want him/her to perform.

if a contractor does not reply within a fair amount of time (this can range from 2 hours during working hours to 2 days during weekends.), end the contract. 

if the contractor does not want to work based on your vision, end the contract

if the contractor does not want to [insert fair request here], end the contract.

A contract can be ended at any time, either by the client or by the contractor (conditions apply, but I won't go into details here)

you should work with people that want to work with and for you. if the relationship does not work for the pebbles at the beginning, what makes you think it will work for the mountains at the end of the project?

- pay well. people tend to stick to clients that pay well.

John H wrote, "I was charged and billed $900 for a one page WordPress website that never worked. The freelancer refused to do what was asked in the job description and the page wouldn't load properly. They took the body copy and created jpgs of the text. Really amateurish."

As soon as this happened, John, you should have filed a dispute and paused the contract. Even if it's a complex one page site, with sections you scroll to by clicking on links in the main navigation, $900 is excessive unless the freelancer did a lot of graphic design work in addition to creating a site, and there's no excuse for pasting jpg images in place of text. If this *was* an hourly job for a low hourly rate, as Jennifer suggested, then you should have limited the hours the freelancer could work per week to no more than 40, and maybe a lot less depending on how complex the one page is.

Community Manager

Hi John,

I see several members of the Community as well as our customer support representative have already explained why your feedback is not showing on the freelancer's profile yet. You can check out this help article for additional information.

I have also followed up with the team regarding  your concerns with the freelancer's performance and they will assist you further.

Sorry about the inconvenience and frustration you have experienced.

~ Valeria
Upwork

@Valeria it took a while to see why you edited my comment. Maybe it was not nice but I still don't think the editing was necessary.

re-reading my comment, I see that you have missed editing a part of it, where I ignored a community rule by .... but I'll leave it as an exercise instead 🙂 . hint : it's quite common to ignore this community rule.

gajendradewra

I hope you get money back!

you disputed the work paid?

blackcat888

The only time reviews are not shown on a freelancer's profile is when we refund a payment. If a client pays even $1, their reviews will show, whether the freelancer reciprocates with a review or not.

deadline-met

Even those with 5 star reviews and great comments need to be treated with care. I had someone bid for some work recently and at first glance her profile looked great. But then I read the reviews and compared them with the job values. There were a lot of 5 star reviews and "She created a great website for us" and then the project value was $10.

The very rare larger value project usually got 2 or 3 stars.

These $10 projects are obviously fictional projects that some freelancers get friends to do for a few dollars so their friends can then post positive reviews and improve the overall star rating.

As always, buyer beware.

In this case however there was absolutely no need to pay anything. Cancel the job, open a dispute with support. But I do recommend people keep all communication on Upwork and I avoid video calls unless absolutely necessary so everything is in writing ... just in case.

I totally agree with you.

I got rib of by a client, she got a free translation and accused me with google trans.

So she can get what she need and Skip paying.

I think positive reviews are not to be trusted for either clients and freelancers.

Deleted because I was talking to a horse that is gone long time ago.

@Prashant P wrote:

John wrote," 

You realize you're replying to a post from 2016? Yes, some points may still be relevant, but that dude is long gone.

@Jess C wrote:

@Prashant P wrote:

John wrote," 

You realize you're replying to a post from 2016?

Oh really?  Many of the replies were from a day or two ago. I should now make a habbit of checking the original posting date.