Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware odesk fraudsters!

Ace Contributor
Diana S Member Since: Jan 27, 2015
21 of 28

Hi Thomas,

Just wanted to put my two cents in here about the video conference. I typically tend to avoid jobs that ask for them... not because I have any problem doing video interviews, but because I'm a young woman and there is just no way for me to know who is going to be on the other end of the camera (or if they are going to record me, or anything!).

I know that most clients are perfectly respectful and professional, but that doesn't make me feel any better about video chatting with total strangers, who are most often men and often from other countries. 

And I have nothing to hide here - I am a 4.88 rated freelancer and a graduate of Colby College, a top college in the US, and currently in the middle of waiting for acceptances from Ivy League schools... you can even google me. 

I'm just saying, if your approach has been working for you and helping you find good people, that's great... but just so you know, not every reputable freelancer may feel comfortable doing a video chat, especially during the interview process.

I, personally, would be way  happier to just do a short test project than a video "interview" any day.

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
22 of 28
I think Thomas has made some very valid points and I think people have responded with some good advice and some good points.

I just want to say that the root cause of Thomas's frustrations and the root cause of many practices that oDesk is struggling with is not Thomas himself, and not oDesk, but is the explosion of fraudulent behavior among contractors, especially among contractors from certain regions.

Thomas did not start out being distrustful and oDesk did not start out being Draconian, but they have been driven to these places by rampant deception arising from within a sub-culture of freelancers whose only interest is generating short term cash income regardless of what they have to say or do or how much it harms the reputation of their region. The people with this mindset think anything goes when it comes to online interactions and they treat all work as a giant group project. They do not care about harming their reputations through poor quality work because they are using disposable profiles which don't actually represent them anyway.

This is is not an easy thing for clients or oDesk to deal with, but unfortunately it is the reality they confront, and unfortunately the behavior of this deceptive sub-set (a tiny minority among the vast number of mostly honest, hard-working contractors) has done great damage to the oDesk platform for the rest of the contractors as well.
Greg Q Member Since: Mar 9, 2015
23 of 28
I honestly thing due diligence is vital when hiring online. If the candidate wants the job and are honest. They will provide the assurances necessary to begin the work. There is no feeling like being scammed out of your money. I have to say, I've read a lot of unnecessary insults in this thread.
Not very "Professional" at all.

Community Guru
Dianne M Member Since: Jul 25, 2013
24 of 28

Hello Greg,

By necessary assurances you mean asking female freelancers to take their clothes off? We got plenty of clients like that in here asking for us to do that to assure them we are real and professional. Isn't that offensive? Just saying!

❄❄❄ Just A Forum Contributor --- This isn't against forum guidelines ❄❄❄
Community Guru
Natasa M Member Since: May 8, 2014
25 of 28

Quote:" I  honestly thing due diligence is vital when hiring online. If the candidate wants the job and are honest. They will provide the assurances necessary to begin the work. There is no feeling like being scammed out of your money. I have to say, I've read a lot of unnecessary insults in this thread.Not very "Professional" at all."

I wouldn't call OP's requests "due diligence"-I would just call them highly,highly unprofessional because they are not related to work in any way.

What really is insulting is that someone can call the whole community of freelancers -and yes, very professional freelancers!- oDesk fraudsters. What really is insulting is that someone can title the post "Beware of oDesk fraudsters," and try to put a dismissive label on all.

If you were referring  by any chance to any of my posts , there is not a single insulting word in them -they just debate the flaws of a certain logic and  question validity of advices based on that flawed logic ( flawed in my opinion ,again, opinion that I am entitled to, as much as OP is entitled  to his.)

Community Guru
Krisztina U Member Since: Aug 7, 2009
26 of 28

@Greg Q wrote:
I honestly thing due diligence is vital when hiring online. If the candidate wants the job and are honest. They will provide the assurances necessary to begin the work. There is no feeling like being scammed out of your money. I have to say, I've read a lot of unnecessary insults in this thread.
Not very "Professional" at all.

Due diligence is vital and can be accomplished through a well conducted interview. Only death is certain. Just like a client can't get 100% certainty and eliminate all risk, neither can the freelancer. Imagine a freelancer asking a client to take a picture of their bank statement with today's edition of the Financial Times - just to make sure the client is capable of paying of course with the argument that if the client is honest and wants the work done, this shouldn't be an issue. Would you accept that?

It's good to be cautious, but there's a difference between caution and paranoia and starting off a work relationship in utter distrust and disrespect can't result in anything productive.  

Community Guru
Ramon B Member Since: Jan 11, 2015
27 of 28

Is this what people mean?

Immediate need of female assistant who can help in handling online business. Must be open minded, friendly, with no contracts in odesk and fresher.
Shane F Member Since: Nov 20, 2015
28 of 28

your comment accurately reflects the situation on Upwork. I have just interviewed one FAKE database expert who had no idea how to setup a real database cluster. HA!!

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS