🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Beware this Freelancer is a Fraud
Page options
kriskammy
Community Member

Beware this Freelancer is a Fraud

I already flagged this user days ago, and complained to Upwork but not sure why his profile is still up even though I received an email from Upwork that action was taken.

User profile **Edited for Community Guidelines**

A fraud from China using multiple freelancer accounts to bid and scam clients (unfortunately I was a victim and lost my money).

This particular profile claims to be from India but he was caught when I called him on Skype. He ultimately gave in and told me he's paying 10% to people to create, verify and provide him the account.

I even doubt he's from China.
I've sent screenshots of Skype convo to support as well. 

I just don't want anyone to fall into this trap. Upwork should do regular random checks on Freelancers.

7 REPLIES 7
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Kris,

Thanks for bringing this up to our attention. I'll follow up with the team and they'll review the freelancer's account against our ToS. 

~ Valeria
Upwork
colettelewis
Community Member

Kris,

There is nothing any genuine freelancer or client in this community can do to help with this. I just hope that your drawing attention to it will make  Upwork take appropriate steps to not just banning this profile, but to track down what this person is doing. 

I really hope they do. There may be more victims and other frauds using similar tactics.
He held my personal information so I had to pay him the full project amount and was forced to leave a good review hoping I get a safe exit.

@Kris K wrote:

He held my personal information so I had to pay him the full project amount and was forced to leave a good review hoping I get a safe exit.

Kris, don't assume because you paid that he no longer has whatever personal information you shared.

re: "He held my personal information so I had to pay him the full project amount and was forced to leave a good review hoping I get a safe exit."

Kris:

Thank you so much for reporting this freelancer. You genuinely are doing something that helps the Upwork community.

But for your sake, for future reference... There are many things that Upwork freelancers do so that they can avoid this kind of problem.

And there are some excellent strategies that you can use (not specifically related to Upwork) if you are commissining a development project so that your personal information is not put at risk.

If you would like to discuss these ideas more, you could tell us a little more about what you're trying to do, what kind of project this was, and we can provide some solid tips for how clients can guarantee some of the things that happened to you won't happen again.

f_heisenberg
Community Member

2020 and chenese guy still in "business" tried to "borrow" my account. Be smart. Be alert. In telegram his name Strong Man.

Hi Faust,

Could you please send me a private message with more information on your report along with the screenshots so that I can send a report to our team for investigation?

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths