🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Boosted Proposals Negatively Impacting My...
Page options
a_lipsey
Community Member

Boosted Proposals Negatively Impacting My Ability to Filter and Vet Freelancers

As a client this feature is not helping me find the most qualified freelancers. It is really just negatively impacting my ability to adjust the filtering to show me the most recent applicants or to sort by other categories. When I try to filter by newest so I can see and respond to the most recent ones, it keeps the boosted proposals on top, even though I've already both shortlisted those two and responded, and so I have to scroll down even further to see new proposals. I don't care who has boosted their post. I am looking for the best fit, not who paid to annoy me in my filtering ability. 

I understand why freelancers would think this would be useful, but whether or not the proposal is boosted is not going to impact my vetting and selection of a consultant. I look at each of the proposals and vet them based on specific criteria. And where they show up in the list is not part of that criteria. I think most discerning clients would agree. When you force these boosted proposals on top, it means I have to scroll more and makes it harder for me to organize who I've looked at and who I haven't.

Please remove this feature and just let me select freelancers based on how I want to select them. Also, the best match is ridiculous still. I posted for a health coach, and I didn't select any skills related to business coaching, but none of the health coaches are best matches, and all of the business coaches are best matches. 

153 REPLIES 153

Upworks boosted feature creates a condition where the bidding process contradicts itself.  Normally, you would submit a proposal and the client would evaluate each on their own merits - particularly experience, a freelancer's history, and the value that they provide.

Those elements of the proposal are still there.  However, Upwork has introduced the "boost" feature to move a proposal to one of three spots at the top of the pile, for those who want to get noticed.  The problem with this is that the client still needs to make a decision based on the same merits (experience, history, value, etc).  Whether the freelancer is in the #1 slot or the #50 slot is irrelevant to a client who cares more about spending their money for quality work.

6ae993fa
Community Member

I  absolutely agree with your post.
Not only for a client, but also for a freelancer Boost function is very bad!!!
Client can't hire skilled and fittest freelancer and also Freelancers who have better tech skills can't be hired.

06348cf2
Community Member

Wow, I'm glad someone feel the way I do. I'm a freelancer but a times I find the boosted proposal to be fraustrating and not of help to choose the best. Many are skilled but deprived of the opportunity because of boosted profiles. Also the matches don't work well, my colleague is a coach but get matches for graphic design and unralated skills

kennylee82
Community Member

Hi Amanda, 

I'm a freelancer, and I see no value to this feature except siphoning more money out of us.

I've worked my way up on Upwork for the past 7 years. Good reviews, badges, and so on. 

I had no problems getting hired before Upwork introduced the feature, but it's tougher now because I'm reluctant to boost. 

I chose to write more attractive proposals and, hopefully, get noticed by clients who spend their time scrolling. 

I guess this is a lose-lose situation for both clients and freelancers. It just doesn't make sense. 

dbb1960f
Community Member

Hi Amanda ,

I' am a freelancer and I don't boost my application . Hoping Upwork have filter selection for you to choose the best fit . I hope all clients are like you 🙂

ceefaeca
Community Member

To be honest I also feel there should be a recommendation system such as one used in Linkedin. The best candidate for work comes on top as BEST MATCH. Upwork had it in the past, if I am right. 

Boosting proposal theme is just bad and, looks highly unprofessional if I boost my proposal for a client. I believe clients should approach me for my skills not because I want to seek attention by boosting proposal. 90% of time I am using boost when even the job ad is just a few sentences that it is vaguely clear what it is about, which is common for my field. 

How can I be excited for something and boost it when I have no idea what the full job is about?

It's true that some options labeled best match based on a very rudimentary algorithm used to show up at the top. I would be surprised to find many clients saying that they were indeed the best matches.

67ef2315
Community Member

boost system is a very bad system.

b9e08799
Community Member

Absolutely agree with you Amanda. The feature with boosting proposal is useless. Inspite the fact that freelancers pay more for that places on top of the list it doesn't mean that they possess the required skills. 

I have several job postings and each time I try to evaluate the candidates among the boosted proposals I find out that none of them fits to my requirements. But I'm not sure that Upwork will remove this feature as it's just their additional way to get more income. 

Thomas M wrote:

Absolutely agree with you Amanda. The feature with boosting proposal is useless. Inspite the fact that freelancers pay more for that places on top of the list it doesn't mean that they possess the required skills. 

I have several job postings and each time I try to evaluate the candidates among the boosted proposals I find out that none of them fits to my requirements. But I'm not sure that Upwork will remove this feature as it's just their additional way to get more income. 

Thank you, Thomas. I would much prefer Upwork allow us more advanced filtering features in sorting proposals. But no, I think it's here to stay as well, it's a money maker, and fortunately it is only one of many minor inconveniences in the UI for clients. But there will be a tipping point eventually.

9ea40837
Community Member

I am a new freelancer and I am so in agreement with the removal of the boosted feature.  Most times it's the one with the money getting the preference and not the one with the experience.  We are here to earn and if we can't get a job we are not able to boost any proposal.

I hope the relevant personnel will look into this feature.

Thank you for listening.

The stats are from March 2022, but the evidence suggests that boosting has very, very little effect. Placebo Boosts? 

melaniekhenson
Community Member

Occasionally I'm a client, and I agree that from this side of things, it's annoying. I don't want the spendiest freelancer, I want the best freelancer for the job.

Yes

That is right

kbadeau
Community Member

Can someone tell me (I think I saw Amanda say it, but don't want to backread the whole thread)... clients see new proposals at the top of the heap no matter what? I had used boosts because I tend to apply to jobs late (if at all) and I wanted to make sure clients saw my proposal. But if my proposal basically goes to the top anyway (except for the boosted posts) then I guess there's no point in boosting.

No, she was saying that boosted proposals always do appear at the top of the list, and she doesn't like it. There would indeed be no point in boosting if that wasn't the case.

sajal36
Community Member

That's True. But everyone want a place to get the best of the job and skills. For the same reason, people use boosted proposal to bypass the queue and be first in the queue. I would have recommended the FIFO mechanism so that early movers get the advantage of getting their proposal viewed.

However for the client there is always a way to get the best of the talent pool by equally reviewing / screening the profile. You can use various filters combination to find the best fit for your requirement as you correctly mentioned with the example of health coach.

How do you screen the profile - 

1. Define the multiple criteria based on Skills, experience, Rate, Location and other keyword relevant to you

2. You must appreciate that you are scrolling more as your job post is keeping many freelancer interested in the job

3.  Look at the timestamp on the profile posted. That will help you know which one is boosted.

4. Also keep an offline tracker of shortlisted / rejected so that can help you track your screening / interview

Depending on the hiring volume - The hiring is the fulltime job. If you are into multiple things than it is better to have a hiring manager to do the initial screening / fitment of the profile, may be a first level discussion too. This will save you lot of time and you can do the final interview. Believe me, I have ramped up team of 100+ team members and I have screened 3000+ resume for getting the best fit (~65% plus if not 100%) for the job.

The early mover advantage you want virtually guarantees that clients will see the worst freelancers first. After dragging through 10 or 15 proposals from people who can't get any work and so we're sitting and staring at the job feeds and able to respond instantly, they will probably give up and leave the site without ever getting 

fahadigc
Community Member

Hey Amanda,
You're right.
The bidding is causing problems at both ends.
But the funniest part is that as a freelancer, I've seen that some clients are more attentive to the boosted proposal than non-boosted ones.

yes sooo, sometime after I sent my proposal I will see that some have boost his proposal with a large some of connect it frustrated 

lucioric
Community Member

I think that the boosted proposals is only for that the freelancers that can pay for the position, can get it (or the ones that still can afford to pay it, at this step). Clients that don't want paid proposals, but vetting the freelancers, should not be blocked to do so. Else, Upwork is converting into a platform where one can buy a project, instead of the quality jobs marketplace that distinguished it from other platforms.

williamtcooper
Community Member

Amanda,

LOCATING TALENT: There are two major ways to locate professional freelancing talent on Upwork. Your first step is to place the job post and freelancers that closely match the post will Apply for the job. Making the job available to all freelancers will - make the job available to all freelancers. Therefore, a wider range and typical more freelancers will apply. The second option is to use the Invite Only feature. Use Upwork's Talent search feature and on the top right of the screen type your keyword. Next, on the left side of the screen narrow down the exact qualities you are seeking such as category, location, consultations, job success, amount earned, etc. and then use the Invite Only feature to invite exact freelancers that you have handpicked to apply to your job post.

William T C wrote:

Amanda,

LOCATING TALENT: There are two major ways to locate professional freelancing talent on Upwork. Your first step is to place the job post and freelancers that closely match the post will Apply for the job. Making the job available to all freelancers will - make the job available to all freelancers. Therefore, a wider range and typical more freelancers will apply. The second option is to use the Invite Only feature. Use Upwork's Talent search feature and on the top right of the screen type your keyword. Next, on the left side of the screen narrow down the exact qualities you are seeking such as category, location, consultations, job success, amount earned, etc. and then use the Invite Only feature to invite exact freelancers that you have handpicked to apply to your job post.

I think Amanda doesn't need you to explain this to her.
If you've read her post, she's complaining about something else.

d1f82042
Community Member

Perfecly Said. 

2f863be5
Community Member

Yes please.

I'm a very experienced, published medical writer, but it's difficult to get when noticed when my proposal is at the bottom of the list.

Boosting proposals is not only unfair, it's also expensive.

How do you know your proposal is at the bottom of the list? 

6239d3cd
Community Member

totally appretiate 

sheveta_codeflox
Community Member

Hello Amanda,  

I am really thankful to you that you have highlighted the concern. The boosted feature is of no use to anyone other than upwork. Please upwork remove this feature. I am not able to bear my expenses now honestly. Earllier, I was making profit of $3000 per month. 

6239d3cd
Community Member

agreed 

lucioric
Community Member

Well said, only Upwork is being benefited by that. BUT TO ALL FREELANCERS IS BEING MUCH HARDER to get a project. And when one lands a project, ¿why not? is a scammy client. that are like on the deserved bag. But real clients are like not in the deservage for most of us.

45f437f2
Community Member

It's interesting to hear this from a client's perspective. I am a new freelancer who does top-notch work. But, when I look at the metrics and habits of potential clients, it seems like I have no choice but to buy my way to getting jobs, and I don't like that.

27db4c9b
Community Member

I think that Upwork should improve this platform's user-friendliness for clients, freelancers, and for themselves. This would create a win-win situation for every stakeholder connected. Everyone spending time here and want to grow business here to the next level. However, if we make it unbalanced, it will lead to a negative attitude and negative effects for everyone on this platform, giving competitors an advantage because so many other platforms have already joined into this race. Therefore, I advise Upwork to change some policies or strategies for high rates and high connect usage rates for applying to jobs and promoting proposal activities that impede real skilled freelancers. 

991d4b30
Community Member

Really annoying feature.

ladyelexia
Community Member

I think clients should have to option of disabling the ability to boost an application if they desire.

32e81aaf
Community Member

understand your frustration with boosted proposals on Upwork. It's important for the platform to prioritize merit-based selection. Sharing your feedback directly with Upwork's support could contribute to positive changes. Your insights matter.

sourceprouk
Community Member

With the considerable reduction in real jobs (job postings that convert to awarded jobs) in recent months, Upwork had the bright idea to make money by selling connects, hence jobs that cost up to 16 connects to bid for and the boosted bids.

Would you prefer to pay $10 or $15 per proposal? Do you understand if Upwork doesn't start making money, the shareholders are going to want heads?

A freelancer should not have to pay anything to submit a proposal. That's like an employer charging an applicant to submit a job application.

You are comparing self-employment with employment. They are entirely different. If you want someone to tell you what to do, train you, and pay you for doing a job, then you need to find an employer.

Freelancing means you pay for everything in your business. No platform is free, and the physical world is not free, either. If you don't want to be responsible for yourself, you need to find an employer to pay for all the expenses for you.

This raises an interesting point.  If a Freelancer has paid, via connects, to submit a proposal, has also paid a percentage of earnings that you say denotes a self-employed relationship how do you justify expecting a fee from an empoyer who decides, after working with afreelancer to offer him an employed position?  The employer has already paid UpWork a fee as a percentage of the amounts paid to the freelancer.  If, as younow want to say, the freelancer is a self-employed contractor the freelancer is entitled to take any position offered after the freelance contract has ended.  UpWork is trying to act on the one hand as a channel between a freelance and a client but hen extending that into a service as a recruitment agence for employees.  You can't have both ways.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths