🐈
» Forums » Clients » Buzzwords and hype
Page options
jeremiah-brown
Community Member

Buzzwords and hype

Clients - 

I thought I would share some insights from my persepctive as a freelancer (views of other freelancers may vary).  

Recently, I came across a client job posting that makes numerous statements about how they are a growing business, taking over the industry, disrupting a market, moving fast, and having game changing products.  

I'm going to be blunt - when I see all of those things written in a job posting it sets off red flag after red flag.  It screams do not apply to this job.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I really dont care if your product is going to cure cancer or if its the first to colonize Uranus. 

Don't drive away good talent because you want to brag or humble brag your brand or product.  We are trying to work, not buy your stuff.

What I care about as a freelancer is doing my job to the best of my ability, delivering a quality deliverable, and getting paid for my work on time.  I care about delivering my product without the client making up some BS dispute because they feel they're entitled to free labor. 

When you are a client interviewing a freelancer, please don't forget that the freelancer can tell you to shove off as well.  Interviews work both ways.  If I give a client the boot, its usually because they've crossed several boundaries - things like repeatedly asking the same question expecting a different response (ex: asking about confidential information), insulting someones work (things that were made to meet someone else's vision), not having a sense of personal or professional boundaries (constantly demanding/expecting additional items beyond the scope of work without compensation for them), constantly requesting changes (I dont mind these when Im charging hourly, but you should still have a plan), and generally being someone you would not want to work for yourself.

Again, these are my opinions and they may differ from others.   

0 REPLIES 0
Latest Articles
Learning Paths