🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Can I cancel a contract and reverse an es...
Page options
palaecro
Community Member

Can I cancel a contract and reverse an escrow if unhappy?

Hi There,

I've been using Upwork for several years and never thought to do this until now, I hired someone for a design job. I made several requests including specific colors to use and gave examples of what I liked. The results after waiting a week are quite simple, plain and not even following the design structure I outlined or color scheme. He stated several times that he understood and I asked multiple times if he could do a basic mockup to ensure we were on the right track which didn't happen.

I'm already worried that this designer is not going to understand what I'm trying to do and I really need to move forward and get this done with a designer who understands what I'm trying to do and can achieve it. These initial results are just not it at all and if he has simply showed me something earlier on I could have corrected him but his work style is one that I'm concerned will waste my time and money if I allow it to go any further.

My question is can I cancel a contract for these reasons? It's about $600 for the design contract between the logo, label and styleguide. I've hired people on fiverr that did better work for $25 if I'm honest. Can I pay a partial amount and end it for his time?

Any suggestions are welcome!

5 REPLIES 5
restu11
Community Member

Yes you absolutlly can do... Say the reason why you cancel ongoing that project than say with your freelancer refound... If any problem with you and your freelancer... Get solution with upwork team...
petra_r
Community Member

Ryan S wrote:

My question is can I cancel a contract for these reasons? It's about $600 for the design contract between the logo, label and styleguide. I've hired people on fiverr that did better work for $25 if I'm honest. Can I pay a partial amount and end it for his time?

You can, but you won't get the remaining Escrow funds back unless the freelancer agrees or you go through mediation / potentially arbitration, so it would be better if you come clean wit the freelancer and reach an amicable agreement

palaecro
Community Member

Yeah there's $550 in escrow and he's delivered the initial designs, so you think it's too late?

re: "Yeah there's $550 in escrow and he's delivered the initial designs, so you think it's too late?"

It does not cost you anything to talk to him. You could send him a message:

"Joshua:

Thank you for work on the project thus far. I would like to go a different direction with this and hire someone else for this project. I would like to release $200 to you immediately and close the contract. You would not need to do any more work on the project. I will also give you permission to use the files you have sent so far in your portfolio or in any other way you want to use them. I would feel very positively about your willingness to do this. May I release that money to you now, and ask you to refund the remaining escrow money to me?"

Thank you Joshua.
Latest Articles
Learning Paths