🐈
» Forums » Clients » Can I send a gift card in the mail to freelan...
Page options
digitalexpertrl
Community Member

Can I send a gift card in the mail to freelancer I have hired?

Can I send a gift card in the mail to freelancer I have hired?

I would like to send my freelancers a thank you card and have a monetary gift card in the card too. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JoanneP

Hi Rob,

I checked with the team and they have confirmed that it is okay to send your freelancer a gift card. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
sjbercot
Community Member

How thoughtful! However, all payments need to be made through Upwork. But you can issue bonuses in any amount even after the contract is closed. That's what my clients typically do when they'd like to add a little something. 

EDIT: I stand corrected!

JoanneP

Hi Rob,

I checked with the team and they have confirmed that it is okay to send your freelancer a gift card. 

~ Joanne
Upwork

Thank you so much!!

It is generous.

It is thoughtful.

It may also be unbelievably cost-effective.

A client who sends me a gift?

Do you know what kind of loyalty that engenders?

Such a gesture definitely propels a client to "most favored client" status.

You can also send them a bonus through the platform - just know that Upwork will take its percentage.

Community Member

This is great news, and how does that relate to US clients and non-US citizen freelancers, and special tax reporting?

re: "This is great news, and how does that relate to US clients and non-US citizen freelancers, and special tax reporting?"

Nobody here an answer that authoritatively. Upwork does not enact taxation, dictate tax-reporting laws, or provide tax advice. If asked, Upwork personnel direct people to talk to their local tax experts and authorities to find the answers to their tax-related questions.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths