cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use upwork for scientific research?

Robert P Member Since: Nov 6, 2016
1 of 14

I've previously been using mechanical turk for the project, but the study call for participants to allow our personality software to access their facebook and record meta-data, which I'm thinking may be an issue. Can upwork be used to simply access participants for a study? 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 14

re: "Can upwork be used to simply access participants for a study?"

Of course. Why not? As long as you're paying the participants, I don't see why this should be a problem.

3 of 14

That was also my thought, but it is a 'job' that essentially takes 10 minutes and pays a couple of dollars, so if you have any ideas on how to emphasize that we're not a scam in the posting, that would be appreciated. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 14

@Robert P wrote:

That was also my thought, but it is a 'job' that essentially takes 10 minutes and pays a couple of dollars,

The minimum is $ 5........

5 of 14

Ok, well that explains why I haven't see a ton of research. Thank you for the information. 

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
6 of 14

@Robert P wrote:

I've previously been using mechanical turk for the project, but the study call for participants to allow our personality software to access their facebook and record meta-data, which I'm thinking may be an issue. Can upwork be used to simply access participants for a study? 

If you pay them and find people who'll allow your software access to their Facebook (I am sure I probably would not feel comfortable wit that) in exchange for payment I see no reason why not...

7 of 14

Thanks! (also we're totally legit this is pretty common: 

Correa, T., Hinsley, A. W., & De Zuniga, H. G. (2010). Who interacts on the Web?: The intersection of users’ personality and social media use. Computers in Human Behavior26(2), 247-253.

Golbeck, J., Robles, C., & Turner, K. (2011, May). Predicting personality with social media. In CHI'11 extended abstracts on human factors in computing systems (pp. 253-262). ACM.

Seidman, G. (2013). Self-presentation and belonging on Facebook: How personality influences social media use and motivations. Personality and Individual Differences54(3), 402-407.

....) 

Ok, I'll think I'll give it a try. 

Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
8 of 14

I have personally taken part in studies on Upwork, as a participant/respondent.

I was hired for small amounts of money ($5.00, $15.00) to answer surveys online and to take part in a phone survey.

As a client, I once headed up a project that involved surveying participants. I paid 14 Upwork freelancers their hourly rate to fill out a questionaire. It's perfectly okay to do so.

This widget could not be displayed.
9 of 14
This widget could not be displayed.

@Robert P wrote:

Thanks! (also we're totally legit this is pretty common: 

Correa, T., Hinsley, A. W., & De Zuniga, H. G. (2010). Who interacts on the Web?: The intersection of users’ personality and social media use. Computers in Human Behavior26(2), 247-253.

Golbeck, J., Robles, C., & Turner, K. (2011, May). Predicting personality with social media. In CHI'11 extended abstracts on human factors in computing systems (pp. 253-262). ACM.

Seidman, G. (2013). Self-presentation and belonging on Facebook: How personality influences social media use and motivations. Personality and Individual Differences54(3), 402-407.

....) 

Ok, I'll think I'll give it a try. 

Mentioning three sources does not explain or legitimate anything. I do not really understand why you need access to individual Facebook accounts. I would never accept something like this. You really will have to explain in the job offer and enable freelancers to verify this who you are, for which university, institution or company you work and what will happen with the results.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
10 of 14

I gave feedback once on a UI for $100 Macy's gift card.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS