🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Can I work for clients outside China as a...
Page options
sunshinezb1990
Community Member

Can I work for clients outside China as a Chinese Citizen located in China?

Hey guys,

Can I work for a foreign company/business/client from Upwork? I am currently in the US but I am moving back to China (I am a Chinese). I have an Upwork account in the US. After moving back China, who am I able to serve? I've done some research. It seems in most countries, without a job visa, you can't work for a local business. Looking forward to great answers.

Best regards,

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I work for clients outside China as a Chinese Citizen located in China?"

Yes.

re: "After moving back China, who am I able to serve?"

Anybody you want to.

re: "I've done some research. It seems in most countries, without a job visa, you can't work for a local business."

That has nothing to do with anything. What you are thinking of is visa restrictions on people who are visiting another country. It is very common for there to be restrictions on people when they travel to another country, outside of the country in which they are a citizen, wherein they are not allowed to work within that country. But if you are a Chinese citizen, living in China, such visa restrictions do not apply.

The whole point of Upwork is to let people remotely. It's all about clients in one place hiring freelancers in another place. Often crossing international boundaries. That's normal.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Can I work for clients outside China as a Chinese Citizen located in China?"

Yes.

re: "After moving back China, who am I able to serve?"

Anybody you want to.

re: "I've done some research. It seems in most countries, without a job visa, you can't work for a local business."

That has nothing to do with anything. What you are thinking of is visa restrictions on people who are visiting another country. It is very common for there to be restrictions on people when they travel to another country, outside of the country in which they are a citizen, wherein they are not allowed to work within that country. But if you are a Chinese citizen, living in China, such visa restrictions do not apply.

The whole point of Upwork is to let people remotely. It's all about clients in one place hiring freelancers in another place. Often crossing international boundaries. That's normal.

That is awesome. Thanks a lot. I have a follow-up question. I still have a savings account in the states and i am not planning on close it. If i make money from my US client and simply deposit that income into my savings account, do i violate any US laws? Is the income subject to any US tax or Chinese tax? Thanks in advance!

re: "That is awesome. Thanks a lot. I have a follow-up question. I still have a savings account in the states and i am not planning on close it."

Personally:

If I was a citizen of another country, and I had a U.S.-based bank account, then I would never close that account.

For one thing, Upwork lets you withdraw money to a U.S. bank account FOR FREE. No fees at all. Which is great! Because the other methods of fund withdrawal entail fees. And Upwork DOES NOT CARE where in the world you live when it comes to using this method to withdraw funds. So definitely keep your U.S. bank account open as an option for withdrawing funds.

re: "If i make money from my US client and simply deposit that income into my savings account, do i violate any US laws?"

No.

re: "Is the income subject to any US tax or Chinese tax? Thanks in advance!"

As for tax questions... you may find opinions in the Forum, but Upwork is not going to tell you how to do your taxes, and neither Upwork employees nor Forum participants can provide authoritative information on your taxes. You would need to consult with local experts and authorities to get the most authoritative advice.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths