🐈
» Forums » Clients » Can a client pay directly from PayPal funds?
Page options
24e695f1
Community Member

Can a client pay directly from PayPal funds?

I am about to hire my first freelancer.  I want to pay via PayPal but when I choose that option it only shows paying by Credit Card using the PayPal gateway.

Is it possible to pay using PayPal funds?

5 REPLIES 5
NikolaS

Hi Steve,

Please know that in order to use Paypal as a billing method on Upwork, your Paypal account must have a linked credit or debit card for recurring payments (for example, for membership fees). For cases like this, a funding source is required to add Paypal as a billing method. You can also check the options available to you and learn more about acceptable billing methods.  

Additionally, you can find more information about adding a PayPal account here

~ Nikola
Upwork
24e695f1
Community Member

So the answer is "no, you can't use PayPal funds", correct?

Hi Steve,

Thank you for following up. I would like to clarify that by design, the option to choose between using a PayPal account balance or using credit card on your PayPal account is not available. Your PayPal account must have a credit card on file. However, please know that when your PayPal account has available balance, it will be the default funding source. 

Thank you,

~ Nikola
Upwork
24e695f1
Community Member

Thank you.

If that is the case, why can't I choose which of my PayPal currencies to
use?

Hi Steve,

As Nikola mentioned in his earlier reply, it is by design that you won't have an option to chose which funding source to use from your PayPal account.  When your PayPal account has available balance, that will be the default funding source. If there is no balance available, it will then charge the card that's linked to your PayPal account. 

Thank you.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths