🐈
» Forums » Clients » Can a freelancer change their hourly rate aft...
Page options
cjcornell
Community Member

Can a freelancer change their hourly rate after submitting a proposal?

I don't usually hire hourly - but the few times that I have, I seem to notice that:  after I shortlist a candidate (in part due to the rate), and then initially chat and hire ..  that their hourly rate has somehow increased between the first time I saw their proposal and the "hire".  Is this possible/allowed?   

4 REPLIES 4
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi CJ,

Yes, freelancers are able to propose different terms and update the hourly rate on their proposal. The client and the freelancer can negotiate, discuss and change the rate, budget or terms of the job during the interview and before an offer is accepted the terms of the contract are finalized.

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
cjcornell
Community Member

so apparently I've been "duped" a couple of times ... I shortlist a candidate (partially based on their hourly rate) - and discuss some details via upwork chat.  as i am getting satisfied they can do the job, they subtly increase their rate - right before I click "hire".

Clever.

CJ C wrote:

so apparently I've been "duped" a couple of times ... I shortlist a candidate (partially based on their hourly rate) - and discuss some details via upwork chat.  as i am getting satisfied they can do the job, they subtly increase their rate - right before I click "hire".

Clever.

No, you were not duped. When a freelancer applies they apply with the hourly rate they wish to bid. If you hire from the actual proposal, that is the rate they will be hired at. What their profile rate is doesn't matter.

You can also edit the hourly rate while making an offer to reflect what was discussed.

It sounds like you were not hiring from the proposal, but from their profile? Once a freelancer bids an hourly rate for an hourly job, that's the bid you'd hire them at if you hire them via their propoal (NOT their profile.)

Hi, I had an invitation from a client to do a project, and during the discussion on the Upwork chat, he asked for extra work than I offer on my profile. We agreed on increasing my rate to be able to do the project, but when I received the offer, I found I set my current price I posted on my profile, which is much less than we agreed on. I contact him, and he said there IS no problem as the rate was set by default. I want some help to fix this issue before starting the job.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths