🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Can freelancer accounts be transferred?
Page options
odeskos
Community Member

Can freelancer accounts be transferred?

A freelancer I recently worked with has changed their name. After asking why, they responded:

"The account was transferred to me. I am the new owner"

That doesn't sound right. Is this allowed by Upwork?

11 REPLIES 11
prestonhunter
Community Member

re: "Is this allowed by Upwork?"

No.

martina_plaschka
Community Member

John S wrote:

A freelancer I recently worked with has changed their name. After asking why, they responded:

"The account was transferred to me. I am the new owner"

That doesn't sound right. Is this allowed by Upwork?

No. Report him, please. 

arturo73
Community Member

thats not normal
accounts are personal

how could you trust anyone if you could just transfer them

AleksandarD
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out to us. Please send me a PM with information about the Freelancer so I can submit a report to our team for investigation.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

There are thousands of people buying and selling Upwork accounts - you can find them with a simple Google search. I was wondering if Upwork is taking any measures against this? 

re: "I was wondering if Upwork is taking any measures against this?"

Upwork is taking multiple measures against this.

It is a massive effort.

Upwork's automatic location identification for new users, continuing location monitoring and cross-checking with profile identification claims, new requirements to do video-based identity confirmation, and their requirements for sending scans of government-based ID, are just some of Upwork's efforts against this.

Preston H wrote:

re: "I was wondering if Upwork is taking any measures against this?"

Upwork is taking multiple measures against this.

It is a massive effort.

Upwork's automatic location identification for new users, continuing location monitoring and cross-checking with profile identification claims, new requirements to do video-based identity confirmation, and their requirements for sending scans of government-based ID, are just some of Upwork's efforts against this.

Well despîte the "massive efforts", a lot of people are still doing it. A lot of people with fraudulent profiles are still actually making money on this site - and making money for Upwork - but their profiles are still false. Some have been reported; some have been removed, but some are still here. 

Preston H wrote:

These requirements are already being sidestepped; most of the "accounts for sale" ads specifically mention that they will perform the video interviews and identity checks on behalf of the new account holder. 

Okay....

For those of you pointing out that people are selling Upwork profiles, despite rules against doing so... I'm not sure what your point is, other than making conversation.

If you live in France or the United Kingdom, there are laws against auto theft, but there are still auto thieves in both of those countries.

Do you have some specific recommendations for how Upwork or Upwork users can do something different in order to combat this problem?

Preston H wrote:

Okay....

For those of you pointing out that people are selling Upwork profiles, despite rules against doing so... I'm not sure what your point is, other than making conversation.

If you live in France or the United Kingdom, there are laws against auto theft, but there are still auto thieves in both of those countries.

Do you have some specific recommendations for how Upwork or Upwork users can do something different in order to combat this problem?

Do you? In your  squeaky clean country, free of all "collusion" and criminals who sink so low as to sell their Upwork accounts?  Preston you are on some ephemeral high horse that is going to drop you at the next fence! 

re: "Do you?"

The things I can think of are already being done by Upwork. I can't think of anything either.

I would presume that for any rule Upwork has, there are people trying (and sometimes succeeding) to break the rule, if they think they can profit from doing so. So there is nothing peculiar about this particular rule in that regard.

I don't blame anybody for feeling like this is a problem. I don't like the fact that this is happening. So I support Upwork's verification efforts, as do all or most all regular Forum participants (based on the threads I have read).

I don't have a problem with discussion of this problem. I think it is useful to talk about, read reports about where people see this happening, etc.

I don't thinks this affects most of us directly in the same way that (for example) charging money for connects, or making changes to fee percents paid by freelancers affects us. But buying and selling of Upwork accounts has an indirect impact on all Upwork freelancers because it undermines the experience of any client who has a bad experience with fraudulent freelancers.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths