🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Can't add debit card to hire from UpWork
Page options
7bd60f75
Community Member

Can't add debit card to hire from UpWork

I'm looking to hire translators but I can't add my credit card. I get a warning:

We are unable to authorize your card. Please add another billing method or contact your issuing bank.

I'm entering all information correctly, and there is nothing wrong with the card (it's a VISA Virtual card),  just days ago I purchased a few video games from Steam for my son.

19 REPLIES 19
prestonhunter
Community Member

Upwork needs you to use a real credit card. A debit card or virtual card typically won't work.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Vladimir,

As Preston has noted, please know that virtual credit cards, debit cards, and gift cards are not accepted as billing methods on Upwork. 

You may read this help article for more information on the different billing methods supported on Upwork.

~ Avery
Upwork
7bd60f75
Community Member

I don't feel too comfortable using my credit card. I normally use my VISA Virtuon card to pay stuff on the internet.

Can I use my PayPal to pay freelancers?

Hi Vladimir,

You will need to have a verified PayPal account in order to be able to set it up as a billing method. To learn more about this please refer to the help article Avery shared, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hi there Goran,

I do have a verified PayPal account. I just can't seem to find the option to add it as a payment method on UpWork.

Both UpWork and my PayPal account are on the same email address.

Hi Vladimir,

Please go to Settings > Billing Methods and click on the Add Method button to add your PayPal account, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I've attached a screenshot of what I see when I click on "Add Method" in the Billing Methods tab. I don't see a PayPal option anywhere. What am I doing wrong? Thank you.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Hi Vladimir,

One of our team members just reached out to you via ticket to assist you further with your billing method. You can access your tickets on this Link, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
petra_r
Community Member

Vladimir D wrote:

I do have a verified PayPal account. I just can't seem to find the option to add it as a payment method on UpWork.

Both UpWork and my PayPal account are on the same email address.

Then you are in a country where PayPal can not be used as a billing method.

I have a same problem. I have international debit card and I want to hire someone. But your platform is not accepting this card. Its a VISA signature card.

Hi Ayush,

One of our team members will reach out and assist you directly via a support ticket. Thank you!

~ Joanne
Upwork

Hi! I'm in the same boat. I can't see the Paypal option as a billing method for clients. My freelancer account has my verified Paypal account connected tho. Anyone can help me on this please? Really need to get a job done. 

Hi Glyncel,

Our team reached out to you via ticket to assist you further with your billing method, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

I've having the EXACT same problem. Whoever opened this ticket must be God sent. I want to hire a freelancer with my debit card and I keep getting this message "Sorry, we are unable to authorize this credit card. Please check the card information or try another card. Questions? Contact us."

The worst part is that this pop us doesn't last for up to 2 seconds before it disappears.

I'm trying to use PayPal but There's no option for it just like the others complained. Pls help me. I need to hire a freelancer and get the job done ASAP.

Hi David,

I suggest checking with your bank for more information on why the charge is being declined. They should be able to help you with that! You can check this article for more information on the available billing methods. Regarding PayPal, if you don't see the option, it means it's not available for your country.

Thank you.

~ Aleksandar
Upwork

Can I use a friend's Debit/Credit card? Hope it's not against upwork
guidelines. Can I use it?

Hi David,

I would like to clarify that you are allowed to use another user’s card as a Billing method (paying for membership fee, Connects, or contracts) provided you are authorized to do so. If any issue arises, the team will reach out to you. You can find more information on available billing methods in this help article.

~ Nikola
Upwork
a5470dcc
Community Member

I have the same problem, How can I fix this, my bank says the problem is in upwork.

Sorry, we couldn't charge the billing method you selected. Please try a different one. If you still need help, contact customer support.

Hi Ragnar,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I can see that you already opened a support ticket regarding this issue. Please allow our team 24-28 hours to respond to your request. Feel free to also update the ticket should you have further questions or concerns.

~ AJ
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths