🐈
» Forums » Clients » Can't message freelancers
Page options
6c6b0cdf
Community Member

Can't message freelancers

I can't message freelancers. I am on the free plan and it doesn't give an option to do so.

9 REPLIES 9
BojanS
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Justin,

In order to initiate a conversation with a freelancer, the client will need to post a job in the Upwork marketplace. Freelancers can then send a proposal for the job post, or the client may choose to invite freelancers to apply for the job. From here, there two ways a client and a freelancer can initiate a conversation with each other: 

• If the client responds to a proposal, both the client and the freelancer can start sending each other messages
  • If the freelancer responds to an invite, the client and freelancer can start sending each other messages. 

For your reference, I am sharing these articles here, and here, for more information about posting a job on Upwork.

Let us know if you have other questions. 

Thank you!

~ Bojan
Upwork
ac9767c6
Community Member

I'm sorry, but your site sucks! It's infuriating not have the option to send a message BEFORE spending money to hire someone. Not being able to engage in dialogue???? Are you freaking serious????? That's LOUSY!!!!!

Hi Jennifer,

I'm sorry if this was confusing. I want to clarify that by posting a job and messaging a freelancer, you aren't hiring them or starting a contract. You can post a job in the marketplace, invite freelancers to apply, and message them if they've sent a proposal to you. I can see that you've been able to do that from some recent proposals you've received; let us know if you still have questions, and we'll be happy to answer them.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
ac9767c6
Community Member

I finally figured out what it was. I had not entered my debit card information yet and until I did, it was not an option to send a message to anyone. As soon as I entered my payment method, all of a sudden the option appeared. 

That was very confusing and it would have been nice to know that up front. 

There are literally Youtube videos showing people how to send a message on this site (of course they don't mention that little detail) so obviously a lot of other people have had the same question. 

I had clicked on the chat help button and the bot chatting with me didn't tell me that either. 

It would be a good idea to put something on your site, that's EASY TO FIND explaining that you have to enter payment information to unlock the message feature, to eliminate frustration from your users. 

Yes, I saw on an Upwork Support article that you have to add a payment method! I did that, but the article also said you have to have made at least one payment on Upwork--which I haven't yet--so I still can't send messages 😞

Hi Nessa,

I see that your account was restored today and there is no active job posted from your account. Posting a job on Upwork is the first step for a client to connect with a freelancer. This allows the client to describe their project, budget, and timeline, and attract qualified freelancers who can bid on the job. You can also search and invite freelancers to apply to your job post so that you can initiate a conversation. Feel free to message us if you need further assistance.

- Pradeep

Upwork
c59ecf1d
Community Member

Hi UpWork folks, we posted, got several dozen good bids, shortlisted half a dozen, and just hired one.  Now I want to write back to everyone else to thank them for their bids, especially the short listed ones, but the Message option seems to have disappeared...?  Kind of rude if you are a freelancer who responded to an ad and don't get some status - do they find out by discovering the job has been filled?  

Hi Thomas, that's extremely nice of you. In your job posting, the status will indicate that you have already hired someone, so you don't need to worry about that.

In my case, if I submit 10 proposals on different job postings. On average, 6 of them doesn't get viewed for some reason, 4 of them get viewed, and barely 1 hire if I am lucky enough. So the point is, it's not rude. That's how Upwork works.

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for your question. It appears that you were able to message the freelancers you shortlisted. Just for clarity, you should have the ability to message freelancers who have applied as long as the job post is still open. Once the job post is closed, you will be unable to message them. 

~ Luiggi
Upwork
Latest Articles
Learning Paths