cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can video editors use pop music for my video?

Highlighted
lucas h Member Since: Jul 18, 2016
1 of 12

Hey!

I'm considering having a video made of a trip my family took. Is it possible to give the freelancer a song I'd like to have the video edited to? Or is this against licensing regulations? Are there any resouces to learn about the possible restrictions for this?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
2 of 12

Lucas, this is really not an Upwork issue.

If you want to make a family video with the help of professional videographers, I suggest you just do so. Some of the questions you are posing here are best discussed with the videographers that you interview, to find out what they recommend and what they are willing to do.

Highlighted
3 of 12

Oh, the way I understood it was I was asking the UpWork Freelancer Community (in this forum dedicated to doing so) for some non-specific information on freelancing some work I'd like done. Oh hey, look at that! A helpful community member, Tiffany, responded with useful information! You're a delightful welcome to UpWork.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
BEST ANSWER
4 of 12

Yes, it is copyright infringement unless the song is in the public domain (very unlikely given the way you've described it) or you've licensed it. Chances are that a reputable video editor won't do it for you, but if he does you should be aware that if you post the video in social media or otherwise make it public, you may be subject to various actions as a result. YouTube typically simply strips the music out of the video, but should the copyright holder choose you could be sued or (though the possibility is remote) criminally prosecuted.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
5 of 12

That was my guess, thanks for the help Tiffany!

Highlighted
Community Guru
Pablo V Member Since: Dec 16, 2014
6 of 12

Yes, they can.

Is totally legal for thousands of songs.

You will need to buy a personal license for $4.99 + VAT that allows you to use the song in youtube, your personal blog and other places for non commercial uses.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mariska P Member Since: Apr 27, 2015
7 of 12

@lucas h wrote:

Hey!

I'm considering having a video made of a trip my family took. Is it possible to give the freelancer a song I'd like to have the video edited to? Or is this against licensing regulations? Are there any resouces to learn about the possible restrictions for this?

Thanks!

At the risk of being a victim to sarcasm... Smiley Wink I'm going to pipe in and ask why didn't you just google it? I just did and came up with a lot of info. 

Highlighted
8 of 12

For multiple reasons.

- If I posed the question here it would provide a more contextualized response for my particular situation. 

- Posting here would open up a dialog if anything in the response caught my interest rather than just reading Google answers.

- People can be very creative when getting around regulations. How did a low scale fruit distributor beat out United Fruit and all of their powerful legal team for lucrative banana supplies in South America? Because two piers with a dock between isn't necessarily a bridge, which would be against the local regulation.

- Because there's not just one correct way to do something.

- Because I could learn about the quality of the UpWork community at the same time.

- Because the more links you create on the internet the stronger spiders can connect content and increase SEO

Highlighted
Community Guru
Wendy C Member Since: Aug 24, 2015
9 of 12

Lucas, in answer to your question over and beyond Tiffany's 110% correct response and Pablo's suggestion -

A skilled video editor will also have a treasure trove of music that can be used - legally and at no cost.  Tell him/her the song or style of song you're thinking about and ask what is available that comes the closest.

I'm curious - did the range of responses surprise you?

Highlighted
10 of 12

Thanks, that's good to know!

To answer your question, yes the range of responses definitely surprised me. There's about a 50-50 ratio of responses that were aiming to actually help (including you!), and other responses that don't seem to be trying to provide value but rather questioning my attempted participation in the community ie) "This isn't a concern for UpWork" from somebody that doesn't appear to actually represent UpWork and "Why didn't you Google it" when there's plenty of reasons to approach a community rather than an AI.

That was a run on sentence... but yeah I didn't expect the uninclusive comments.

Thanks for the help though Smiley Happy

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS