🐈
» Forums » Clients » Re: Cancel Contract / End Contract
Page options
carolinebogart
Community Member

Cancel Contract / End Contract

How do I cancel a contract and release escrow back to me. The freelancer and I have mutually agreed to cancel without payment.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
kochubei_valeria
Community Member

Hi Caroline,

You can go to your Jobs>Contracts and click on the name of the freelancer. Then from the contract details you can click End Contract. On the next page you will be asked if you would like to release funed amount to the freelancer or refund it to you. Choose the appropriate option and make sure you provide honest feedback.

I hope it helps.

~ Valeria
Upwork

View solution in original post

90 REPLIES 90

Hi Jasmina,

I'd suggested communicating with your client prior to ending the contract and agreeing on this action. Ending a contract is not a reason for restricting a user's account in itself, and both parties will have the option to leave private feedback in case no money is paid on the contract.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

re: "I recently accepted a job offer. The first milestone is set. But I want to cancel the contract. No funds were released. I am wondering if I would have to go through account holding if I end it, and If I have to leave some public review?"

It's not a thing you want to do on a regular basis, but you CAN simply end the contract. You don't have to go through anything. The money funded for the first milestone will automatically go back to the client. You will not need to leave any kind of public review.

If a contract ends without any money paid by the client to the contractor, then there is no way for anybody's reviews to appear on either the client's public profile page or the contractor's.

One contract that you end without getting paid should not impact your Job Success Score negatively, but if you made a habit of doing something like this, and if there's a pattern relative to the total number of jobs you have, then your Job Success Score will certainly drop.

Thank you. I spoke to the client. I ended the contract. Hope everyhing will be fine.

re: "One contract that you end without getting paid should not impact your Job Success Score negatively"

Hi preston

is this still working because i read this from petra lately in 2020

" Contracts that end with nothing paid and no (private) feedback *DO* affect the JSS "

re:"is this still working because i read this from petra lately in 2020: 'Contracts that end with nothing paid and no (private) feedback *DO* affect the JSS'"

Mahmoud:
This has changed.

We previously DID talk about zero-pay contracts having a negative impact on JSS.

But Upwork HAS CHANGED the way it calculates JSS. Upwork now states that zero-pay contracts DO NOT negatively impact JSS unless the client leaves negative private feedback.

I got it

But will this ended contract (with nothing paid) count on the minimum requirement needed to reach the first JSS?

Regards

Hi Mahmoud,

I would like to clarify that the contracts with $0 earned and positive feedback will be excluded from your Job Success Score.

Please know that not all projects and clients are equal, so the time it takes to get a Job Success Score varies. In order to get a Job Success Score, you need to complete:

• Projects with 2 (or more) different clients
  • 4 (or more) different contracts within 24 months

More than 90% of freelancers have a score after 5 projects, and nearly all freelancers have scores after completing eight projects.
~ Nikola
Upwork

Yes thank you for the reply Nikola

But I am talking about the contracts with $0 earned and (NEGATIVE) feedback

It is included in calculating JSS we know that

I am asking does it also included on the count of min requirment needed for getting first JSS

on other words would it be then one of the

4 (or more) different contracts within 24 months

My regards

Hi Mahmoud,

I'd like to reiterate that zero-pay contracts with negative feedback can have an impact on your JSS and also count towards the number of contracts needed to obtain a score.

~ Luiggi
Upwork

Very direct answer

I thank you for that.

romanova1
Community Member

Thank you for your answer.
ashcul90
Community Member

I'm new to Upwork and learned a lesson recently about not accepting a contract until I have ALL of the details. 

I won't make this mistake again, but now I'm unsure what to do about my current situation. The deadline for the work is supposed to be tomorrow, but the directions from the client are so vague that I cannot possibly complete (or even really begin) the job. I've messaged him questions a few times with no response. 

Basically, I'm wondering what I should do to avoid a negative impact on my Job Success Score. Should I just end the contract? I don't want it to be open for a long period of time without anything being done. I also don't want to submit something that is not what the client wants and receive negative feedback.

Thanks!

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ashley, 

We encourage freelancers and clients to communicate professionally and extensively, discuss all the terms, deadlines and details before the offer is ever made and accepted. I suggest that you continue communicating with your client before you decide on closing your contracts. 

If the contract is ended, both you and your client will have the opportunity to provide feedback during the 14-day review period. Your Job Success Score won't be affected negatively if you as a freelancer close your contracts, unless there's a pattern of contracts with no feedback.

The party that ends the contract is required to leave feedback, and we'd advise building your communication and relationships with clients in a way that you don't need to close the contracts yourself.

~ Avery
Upwork

Hello!

I have also an "End Contract" problem. I have an hourly contract and I agreed with my client to set manually a fixed number of hours, I finished the job succesfully and the client was very satisfied but I didn't submited my work before the client ended the contract. What can we do now? The contract is ended with 0 hours, but the client is very satisfied and want to pay, can we reopen the contract?  

Thank you!

re: "What can we do now? The contract is ended with 0 hours, but the client is very satisfied and want to pay, can we reopen the contract?"

Ancuta:

Clients can pay you the hourly money you earned in the form of a bonus (of any amount they choose) using the Bonus feature, even if your contract is closed.

Alternatively, the client could create a new contract that allows manually-logged time, let you add the manual time, and then close that contract.

Thank you very much!

Hi Ancuta,

I see you already reached out to your client regarding issuing a bonus payment. Please note that bonus payments are not covered by our Payment Protection program. You can also find more information about working and getting paid on Hourly jobs here and here.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
127e01b2
Community Member

Hi

I already paid a contract but I and the freelancer agree to refund the money because the work wasn't fixed.

I would like some help because I do not know if end the contract or not.  how can I do this process to take my money back? 

Hi Manuel,

If the payment was released on your contract, you'll need to communicate with your freelancer regarding issuing a refund in order to get the funds back. If this was already agreed, you can keep the contract open until you receive the refund but note that refunds can be issued on closed contracts as well.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
gazwan
Community Member

Hi,

I need to end a contract wich is aready paid, the freelancer keeping postponding finishing the poject since 45 days so far.....what is my best solution in this situation please !

Thanx

VladimirG
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mhd Ghazwan,

I'm not familiar with the terms of your contract but if your freelancer isn't providing the work you agreed and paid for, and you can't resolve this problem in direct communication, let us know and we'll have someone follow up with you to review and advise.

~ Vladimir
Upwork
gazwan
Community Member

Thank u so much dear Vladimir...I will keep u updated !

gazwan
Community Member

Dear Vladimir,

I think the situation with that freelancer leading no where. it is clear she is busy with another larger project.

I asked her many times when I can get my project, and every time she soon....and nothing then !!

I have to end this contract and to got my money back.

Please advice what can I do.

Thank u

Regards

Gazwan

Gazwan,

You can end a contract anytime. If the money is still in Escrow, you'll be able to request a refund from Escrow and the freelancer will have 7 days to approve it or dispute it. The money that has already been released to the freelancer can't be disputed. You can ask the freelancer to issue a refund if they didn't deliver work as agreed.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Velaria,

Thanks for the reply.

depends on the attached file, that's mean that my payment is not in the Escrow any more.

so in this case 95% I will not get my money back and I will nt get the project also !!  right ??

Gazwan,

Fixed-price contracts allow clients to deposit money into an Escrow account at the start of the project and release the payment from Escrow after they received and reviewed work delivered by the freelancer. The client releases the money at their own discretion. Unfortunately, after the money was released and withdrawn by the freelancer, Upwork doesn't have any access to it as it's not stored in Escrow anymore. 

In the future, please make sure you release payment to the freelancer only after you received and checked the work.

~ Valeria
Upwork

in fact I'm surprised about this point bcs I didn't release the amount at all.
I thought this is happened automatically somehow !!

even I tried to find any history actions to review what and how the amount had released but I find nothing !!

Gazwan,

A milestone is automatically released from Escrow only if the client fails to reply to freelancer's request to review work and release payments for 14 days. You can find more information about that in Fixed-Price Escrow Instructions here.

~ Valeria
Upwork

Strange !!!

she sent me the first draft and I kept every two days asking her what happened with the fnal version !!

Ok...thak you, seems it is useless 

mickey13anne
Community Member

Can the client still give me feedback if i end the contract? it is a fixed pay and i will receive it after a month. l

Mary Ann,

When the freelancer ends the contract, the client is notified and sent a link to leave their feedback. They have 14 days to leave their feedback but if they don't, the contract will show as "No Feedback Given" in freelancer's Work History. 

Also, please note that if a freelancer ends a fixed-price contract with money still in Escrow, the money is automatically returned to the client.

~ Valeria
Upwork
ranyahsg
Community Member

hi

i am REALLY mad. this one client, i've finished everything for him, even revised TWICE

initially, he really like my designs, and we move forward to technical parts. i noticed the size file he gave me was wrong. i mentioned it to him, then he later say its fine. he questioned me about the fabric choice, then i ask him to ask him manufacturer whether the fabric choice is right or not. then he later says its fine (its all in the screenshot)

then he hired me for another project (hats), i finished the first project but did not request for funds right away. i finished the hats then i requested

then he's MIA for like 3 days

THEN SUDDENLY HE CANCELS THE PROJECT (AND THE HATS I COMPLETED ALSO!!!!) AND BLOCKED ME!!

SAYING THE SIZE AND FABRIC WERE WRONG!!!!! (i confirm it to him like LOADS of times already).

so in a fit of rage i commented in his instagram, but then he threatens to ban my upwork account. like really????? he duped me out of $880 then later he wants to ban my upwork account!!!! can upwork do something about this?

AND MIND YOU this is the second time i had this kind of client. i was silent the first time because i thought its just this 1 client, but pls upwork, this kind of system is very bad for freelancer!!!

I GAVE HIM THE .AI FILE SO HE CAN EDIT ALL HE PLEASE. OMG I NEVER MET A BETTER CONMAN THAN THIS ONE, PLS UPWORK DO SOMETHING!!

******EDIT: HE SAID HE WILL NOT PAY BCS HE WILL NOT EVER USE MY DESIGNS. HAHAHAHA SO WHERE WOULD THE 25 HOURS OF ME WORKING FOR HIM GOES TO???? AND I BET YOU $100000 HE'LL USE MY DESIGNS LATER WHEN I AM NOT LOOKING!!!!!

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

petra_r
Community Member

@Rania S wrote:

THEN SUDDENLY HE CANCELS THE PROJECT (AND THE HATS I COMPLETED ALSO!!!!) AND BLOCKED ME!!

SAYING THE SIZE AND FABRIC WERE WRONG!!!!! (i confirm it to him like LOADS of times already).

he duped me out of $880 then later he wants to ban my upwork account!!!! c

Hourly contract or fixed rate contract?

If hourly, did you trackyour time?

If fixed price, was it fully funded?

ranyahsg
Community Member

its fixed price and its fully funded

Hi Rania,

I`m sorry to hear about the bad experience you had with your client. I can see that a dispute has been already opened and one of our team members will reach out to you and your client and assist you both further. To learn more about how you`re protected on fixed price contracts, check out our guide for Fixed-Price Protection for Freelancers. I would also suggest to check out this Thread and learn more about disputes as well. If you have any additional questions feel free to post them here, thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Hello,

I face some issue about ending contarct. Like Clinet accpeting my Delivery and very much happy on it. But they are not Ending the Contract. I am taking about Fixed Contract. If they don't END the Contract after the project done, it will impat negatively my JOb Score ? What is the solution for it ? Keep in mind they are happy and accepting my delievry but they are not ending contarct for unknown or time issue I think. I need a solution from you .

Also if I send the delivery but client take it but don't accept or end the contract for a long period what will happen it ? It impact my Job score negatively ? After how many days I can get the money for that project ? What is the solution for it?

I would be glad if you help me.

Thanks 🙂

Hi Imrul,

Please know that typically, freelancers wait for the client to end a contract, make any final payments, and leave feedback. You can find more information in this help article

If you are working with a client and they become unresponsive for a long period of time, it may be best to stop working on the project and wait for contact from the client. In some cases, you may also reach out to Upwork to contact the client on your behalf. 

On a fixed-price contract, ending the contract forfeits any funds remaining in escrow. Instead, it is often best to complete your last milestone before you end the contract. If your client fails to respond to your submission, funds will be automatically released after 14 days. If they respond but refuse the work and you believe you have completed the work according to the agreed terms, you have the option to file a dispute. Feel free to check this help article for more information. 

Additionally, I would like to add that keeping contracts with no recent activity open should not affect your score negatively. That said, if you have contracts that are still open but no further work needs to be done, you can consider asking your clients to close them or go ahead and close them yourself. Please, note that when you close a contract, the client is notified and will have 14 days to provide their feedback on the contract. If no feedback is provided on the contract by them, it will not have an impact on your score once this change is implemented. For more information, you may want to check this tread.

~ Nikola
Upwork
cmimrul
Community Member

Thanks for answering me. Actually the work I did it is for partuclar project with fixed price. Like there is no work/milestone for those project. Now they accept the delivery also. It is showisng my In progress option. My question should I keep then In progress or I should End the Contract myself. If the job In progress without any activity any problem for my JSS? Also for the client who Take the delivery but did not Accept/End the Contract what happen for those job? It impacts my JSS any? Thanks

Hi Imrul,

Whether you decide to leave the contact open as in progress or close the contract yourself, these actions will not negatively impact your JSS score. As Nikola mentioned, when a contract ends the client is able to leave feedback which could boost your score. So by asking the client to end the contract they will be prompted to leave feedback. If the client leaves positive feedback this would be beneficial for you.
Untitled

Thanks. I get perfect answer.

Latest Articles
Learning Paths